Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Cacti identify

Necridous

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
24 Mai 2007
hmm no assistance. I'll have to go get some books from the library or something

darkwolfunseen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
5 Août 2009
So it doesn't really look active. It's definitely not a bridgesii (would have bigger spikes). I would have said it's a Pachanoi (San Pedro), because the spikes resemble that, but it's too ribbed. Although it's tough to differentiate fully, typically a San Pedro will be five-six ribs that do not go in too deep. Here is what a typical San Pedro would look like: http://www.hear.org/starr/images/full/s ... 0-5799.jpg.

I'd say look for Pedro's, depending on where you are they are easier to find. Also, there's less half-breeds of them then Peruvian torches. If you give up all hope, there's always the internet.

Brugmansia

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
I swear I have no idea. What about just consuming a few inches?

If it's San Pedro, there's growing for about a few hundred bucks. :D

Necridous

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
24 Mai 2007
I'm probably going to harvest some and cook it up into a few shots and giving it a whirl. At worst I'll throw up, but I think I'd live.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
The threshold effect is lethargy, you should be in able to notice from just 2 or 3 inch.

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
This is Cereus (peruvianus ?) with flat ribs, with NO mescaline in it !
San Pedro Cacti (like Trichocereus peruvianus) have rounded ribs, and contain mescaline !

Even Ratsch in his book "Enzyklopädie der psychoaktiven Pflanzen" shows a picture which is .....
Cereus peruvianus like the pictures above in this topic, but with the name Trichocereus peruvianus.

The flowers of Trichocereus species have dark brown hairs, those of Cereus species don't have hairs.
So wait until it flowers this summer.

So please let this cactus grow ! ;-)

Testing for Mescaline : Mescaline Cacti have a bitter taste !

C

cact Al

Invité
I agree with earlier poster that most of the specimens that can be seen easily in the photo are of the "regular" Cereus genus, not the often-psychoactive Trichocereus. Tip off: very thin ribs...almost like the angle at the top of the rib is acute, whereas on plump or fat-tipped ribbed Trich's the angle would be better described as obtuse. The two would look similar to the untrained eye, but you can see a very common T. Pachanoi in Home Depot garden department (or Wal Mart or Target or Lowes, etc) and figure it out.

Necridous

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
24 Mai 2007
ah ok, thanks you two for the very helpful replies, saved me time and unpleasant experiences! I'll keep searching for this wonder plant and one day I will be successful.

rita_

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
14 Mar 2010
Hi there,
I'm new around here and I'd like to ask you guys who are more into the subject if you could help me identifying what species of San Pedro cactus is this and tell me a little of what you know about it.
It was a birthday present from a friend and I'm doing my best taking care of it..although I don't know a lot about cacti.
Does he look healthy to you? If you have any tips, please tell me.
Thanks ,)

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
It looks like Trichocereus pachanoi, with thorns less than 2 centimeter.
Place it in full sunshine near a window, beware the temperature is not above 60 degrees in the sunlight.
Because there is indoors too few light, the San Pedro probably will grow smaller at the top.

You can place the cactus in your garden when the temperature is above 10 degrees at night.
It will receive more light, and will probably grow further with the same thickness.

See for more pictures of San Pedro cacti:
http://san-pedro-cactus.expertpagina.nl

rita_

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
14 Mar 2010
Ok, thanks for the info ,)
Now that spring is coming, I'll put in the balcony where it can get more direct sunlight. Also I'm thinking of repotting it, so it can have more space for its roots..But before I do that I need to find good soil for it, I don't think the one it has now is very nice..
Thanks again for replying,
see ya

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
It definitely looks good!

A bigger pot might be nice, that's right.

The substrate looks like it's all sand - you are right that is not the best substrate for San Pedro. They are not your typical cacti, they need more soil and not only sand. I got mine a special cactus substrate that is a mix of lava stones, soil, even some type of clay and other stuff (got it from a webshop specializing in cacti). The cacti seem to like it, but in my experience normal potting soil mixed with some sand and seramis is also good.

From what I can see it looks like you're in Europe somewhere, so don't worry about too much sun - that warning only applies to Arizona, Mexiko or Israel. In most parts of Europe it's best to move them to the sunniest place you can find!

As long as enough sun is there, give it plenty of water and some cactus fertilizer. The best water is always natural rainwater, try to use that as much as possible. It's too much water when the substrate doesn't dry every day or two. You'll also notice the cactus grows thin when the sun/water ratio is too much water and not enough sun.

Ultima

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
27 Déc 2007
can you get a better picture?

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
Looks like a Trichocereus.
No Tr. pachanoi which has short spines (central spine max 2 cm).

Sprax

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juin 2009
Ultima a dit:
can you get a better picture?
Yes but not right now, unfortunately. :) I would guess either e. pachanoi or t. peruvianus but I'm not sure.