Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Pachanoii or Peruvianus

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Hello,

This is my first post on psychonaut (although ive been reading it for about half a year) and its about my newly bought cacti. They are from an internet store and were sold as trichocereus pachanoii (san pedro) but now that i have them they look more like a peruvian to me. I find them rather darkish green. But i am a newbie to cacti, so i hope you can help me.

I added a picture as an attachment.. i hope that is enough.

Greets!

Brewmaster

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
21 Août 2006
The reason I believe that those are NOT pachanoi is the fact that the spines are too long. Peruvians are much more rare, so I doubt they sent you one labeled as a pedro. Most likely, they're trichocereus terescheckii.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image ... eckii2.jpg

What site did you buy these from? I know of at least one american vendor that is knowingly selling the wrong species of cactus.

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Yes, terescheckii also contains mescaline but I don't know how much. I only own one, and have never eaten one myself. I've read reports that say terescheckii can contain MORE mescaline than san pedro but others that have said it contains much less. Either way you're going to need to let them get a whole lot bigger before you have enough to eat.

As far as testing what species it is, you just need an expert eye which I do not have. There's got to be some cactus collectors website where you can get a professional opinion. They're not san pedro but they could be peruvian, it's just doubtful.

They're still some sexy lookin little cacti, in any case.

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
thanks for the help Brewmaster! I wasn't planning on eating these 5 cm tall cacti just yet, but at least now im sure they are not san pedro :p i'll just let them grow and see what becomes of them. I will buy some san pedro's from somewhere else.
Thanks!

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Ok, so I went to http://www.cactiguide.com They have a special identification category on the forum were I posted some pics of my little babies. One response so far, this guy said it was definitly not T.Pachanoi (but we knew that already) but probably Pilosocereus pachycladus

p_azureus_600.jpg

Looks pretty much like mine (just a bit more sunny than in the rainy lowlands over here)..

Ill send a mail to the vendor, but i will keep the plants for the joy of growing them :)

Rutger

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
8 Nov 2005
As far as I know its very difficult to see what kind of species a cactus is when its not adult yet. This vendor is a quite respectable shop and I never heard about any complaints about him. I would first contact him about this to see what is going on though, perhaps he can clear things up.

With the little knowlege that I have about these cati I do have to agree that it does not look much like a Trichocereus pachanoi or peruvianus , the spikes are to long an to close to eachother , the colour is right though.

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
I mailed the vendor and he said it was definitely pachanoi, just one of the many species. He got the seeds from a well known supplier. Also he noted that 'one of his customers was satisfied with the content.' So i guess theres no need for worries.. First i need to get these fellows growing :p

kcar181

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
21 Août 2006
I really doubt those are pachanoi and I'd keep them away from your stomach until you are sure.

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Anyway.. Is there a big danger in eating an unknown cactus species? Cause from what I understand there are many different pachanoi's. Inevitably somebody will have eaten a different kind of cactus by mistake.. What are the risks?

Rutger

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
8 Nov 2005
Don't think there is a big health risk but I am of course not sure. Never heard about any poison in cacti but it could happen, think the worst thing that could happen is that you grow these for a long time and then find out that ate all the cactus stuff just for nothing. But again just my idea, don't know if it can be dangerous !

scamie

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
23 Mai 2006
i buy al my plants by this vendor and he is 100 % okeee!!

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Oh did you get some pachanoi from him as well? If yes, the same I have?

scamie

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
23 Mai 2006
yes, but mine is a bit older. You just wait and take good care of the plant. It will get the "pedro features" when its older !!!

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
My opinion is that first picture are not Pachanoi or Peruvianus. Torch is grey-green(like some fine silk of web is on the surface, and it have tiny spines-even larger ones-just like second picture, and they are just like that, sun is not guilty for grey cover.)
And Pachanoi is similar in colour bout there can be many of variations of green on plant-fat part is not covered with grey silk and growing thinner part is.And spines are 2 to 3 times longer and bush of spines have larger number of spines in that bush.

This I am telling cause I have observed them and describe them-I have them in my green house. 8)

shivato

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Jan 2007
i realy don´t now a lot about this but i send some fotos of my S. Pedro cactus «T. Pachanoi.