Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Will there be an anti-addiction pill that inhibits dopamine?

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
"Now that advances in understanding the neuroscience of addiction have shown alcoholism and drug abuse to be more of a disease than a personal weakness, drug companies are looking for a way to treat addiction as pathology like any other. While some progress has been made treating alcoholism and opiate addiction specifically, researchers hope to develop a pill that treats all addictive impulses, whether for a particular substance of an activity like gambling or sex. Research has focused on dealing with the neurotransmitter dopamine and its natural inhibitor, GABA. Dopamine is one of the chemicals that conveys pleasure, and doctors hope that by inhibiting dopamine, they can take the pleasure out of the addicted behavior, thus ending it."

Source: http://www.popsci.com/stuart-fox/galler ... -your-life , image 3.

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
I wonder how they'll make it work on one substance or activity but not on the others. It'll only kick in above a certain threshold value or something?

And then I wonder if this is a solution, or if it is just something that will create other problems... I mean, it would be better to threat the source of a problem... and one can make money being a therapist too, but I guess people in the drug biz don't like the idea of changing jobs and making honest money.

restin

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
wouldn't there be the danger to get addicted to the anti-addiction pill...?

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
restin a dit:

It's no danger for them. They in fact would like it.

goddamn, like pills were the solution to everything...

another mean to let the problem stay there and only numb it.

And also... if they inhibit dopamine... that means one who would take the pill couldn't feel pleasure at all then? This is demoniac. I also read somewhere that dopamine was responsible for our will to be free.

Basically with such a pill they would make us gentle zombie slaves.

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
restin a dit:
Well, if the pill would just keep you from getting addicted to stuff, that would be like being addicted to breathing. Err... with the difference that breathing is free ;)

And also... if they inhibit dopamine... that means one who would take the pill couldn't feel pleasure at all then?
Yeah, makes one wonder. That's why I think it might work only above a certain threshold, because like when you take heroïn the dopamine level in your body rises to extremes (right?). So when you use such a pill, you wouldn't feel any effect, or only a slight buzz, and think: "F*ck, I need to stop using these anti-addiction pills, since they cancel out the effect of this f*cking expensive heroïn!"

Err.. yeh, so what I wanted to say is that you would use anti-addiction pills to get rid of your addiction, but I guess somebody has to make you use the anti-addiction pills, or it won't work.

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
And if we're gonna find easy/lazy solutions to all problems in life, what the hell will become of us?

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Well, if the pill would just keep you from getting addicted to stuff, that would be like being addicted to breathing. Err... with the difference that breathing is free Wink

No but I mean as I remember, if something is connected to the reward system (dopamine) you can get addicted to it.

Carebear

Banni
Inscrit
11 Juil 2008
Psychoid a dit:
restin a dit:

It's no danger for them. They in fact would like it.

goddamn, like pills were the solution to everything...

another mean to let the problem stay there and only numb it.

And also... if they inhibit dopamine... that means one who would take the pill couldn't feel pleasure at all then? This is demoniac. I also read somewhere that dopamine was responsible for our will to be free.

Basically with such a pill they would make us gentle zombie slaves.

Word!