Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Why is Marijuana Illegal – A brief history

WetStaples

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
2 Nov 2007
http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/ ... legal.html

Many people assume that marijuana was made illegal through some kind of process involving scientific, medical, and government hearings; that it was to protect the citizens from what was determined to be a dangerous drug.

The actual story shows a much different picture. Those who voted on the legal fate of this plant never had the facts, but were dependent on information supplied by those who had a specific agenda to deceive lawmakers. You'll see below that the very first federal vote to prohibit marijuana was based entirely on a documented lie on the floor of the Senate.

You'll also see that the history of marijuana's criminalization is filled with:

* Racism
* Fear
* Protection of Corporate Profits
* Yellow Journalism
* Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
* Personal Career Advancement and Greed

These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.

A VERY interesting and enlightening article I found on digg, I must say.

No-Key

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Déc 2006
Maybe preaching at the faithful?
It really is genuinely ridiculous, and what's worse is that it's still being believed.
It is a standing testament to a complete lack of critical analysis in voting age adults,
but it might also just be that they don't care. It isn't like smoking pot makes for a better society necessarily, at best it just doesn't produce negative side effects.

Besides, I think the most healthy aspect of marijuana comes from that it IS illegal. In order to do it, people have to make a conclusion that not everything that is termed "bad" by society is necessarily bad, and this sparks a glorious little flame of anti-authoritarianism.

G

Invité
i haven't read anything about the cotton industry. IMHO, that's the main fact why MJ is illegal. cotton easily tears and shreds, making people buy more shirts, pants, whatever. the cannabis fiber (from the ruderalis, or sativa/indica) would last a longer time. did you knew that in the times when people got into boats to discover the world, the most of their clothes, ropes, bags and so on, were made of hemp ? then, cotton came, and fashion came. these are only ways to keep you buying things over and over. maybe if we all wore hemp clothes, cotton would stop being produced in a large scale, and because it ruins the soil, the earth would thank us. and we would have shirts that would last for 20 years. good for your pocket, good for the earth. bad for the industry.

adoma

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
You wanna know why it's illegal?
Because stoned people dont give shit and don't take life serious and so the serious government who wants to regulate and control everything can't control does who just dont give a shit :p :lol:

silv

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
adoma a dit:
Because stoned people dont give shit and don't take life serious and so the serious government who wants to regulate and control everything can't control does who just dont give a shit :p :lol:
i care, i give a shit and i MOST CERTAINLY take life serious on drugs :!:

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
adoma a dit:

now that's ignorant. i assume you base this upon your own cannabis use?
most cannabis users take life more serious, they look trough the bars of the cage.

if cannabis makes you like you said, thats not the government who has a problem, but YOU who have a problem

adoma

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Meduzz a dit:
now that's ignorant. i assume you base this upon your own cannabis use?
most cannabis users take life more serious, they look trough the bars of the cage.

if cannabis makes you like you said, thats not the government who has a problem, but YOU who have a problem

maybe i said it in a wrong way...
People who use drugs, don't really care about consumerism, war and things your government finds important.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntiAF3O ... re=related
Because you can see through the bars of a cage, propaganda isn't effective (for instance Project MKULTRA). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA

G

Invité
People who use drugs, don't really care about consumerism, war and things your government finds important.
Because you can see through the bars of a cage, propaganda isn't effective (for instance Project MKULTRA).

people who use drugs are also influenced by consumerism. why there are shops that only sell "rasta clothes" ? because rastafarians buy them. and they smoke. and they are not influenced ? they are more influenced than the majority of people, because they BUY the CLOTHES that go against the MAINSTREAM. and they PAY for it. consumerism, top notch.
propaganda isn't effective ? i don't want to discuss this propaganda topic no more, i would like you to think about the reason that forbids all political parties to express their point of view. and maybe about pederasty (it was MANDATORY in ancient greece), torturing and, the most important of all, death. think about death and read a book called "the history of death", from a french writer that i cannot recall the name (i have this book 600Km from here). drug users cannot be influenced by propaganda ? why did you started using them ?
it seems that drugs give you this strong magic bubble that keeps you immune to all evil ideas, and you just need to smoke, sit back and relax. wouldn't it be nice, hum ?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I agree, the most dangerous person is the one who thinks that media and other reigning ideas in his society don't influence him.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Forkbender a dit:
I agree, the most dangerous person is the one who thinks that media and other reigning ideas in his society don't influence him.

:thumbsup:

G

Invité
i have remembered the name of the writer this afternoon: Philippe Aries. it is called "Western Attitudes Towards Death". (sorry for the badly translated title, but i was translating the portuguese title to english..
ISBN-10: 0714525510
ISBN-13: 978-0714525518

enjoy. it is a good read.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
more fun facts (I wrote this a while ago from the site WetStaples gave and this one):

* We have been smoking and using weed for thousands of years; fabrics made of hemp can be traced to 7000-8000 B.C., which is also the earliest known woven fabric.

* In the US of A it was mandatory for farmers to grow hemp, in fact, between 1763 and 1767 you could be thrown in jail in Virgina for NOT growing some hemp.

* Hemp was used for making clothes, paper and a lot of other textiles things. Yes, it's possible to make paper out of weed, in fact, it's cheaper and less polluting than trees, not to mention of course that chopping down trees is not such a good idea since they are basically the lungs of the earth.

* It's illegal because of the personal agenda of greedy and corrupt people like power hungry ignorant bastard Harry J. Anslinger, who dropped some jewels like "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." and "Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind." which is the equivalent of kicking in the face, repeatedly, any smart person who has actually ever smoked it. In a calculated campaign, aided with yellow journalism and stupidity, he is responsible for outlawing it.

* Parties who endorse the illegality of cannabis and actually make money off of it:

o Chemical companies, like cotton industry, which requires large amounts of chemical fertiliser and pesticides, unlike cannabis which produces stronger and more durable fibers.

o People who make plastic, many plastic products could be made from natural cannabis without pollution.

o Timber industry - cannabis 'hurds' (the woody bits of stalk) can be used to make furniture as well as a higher quality paper than from wood (I already told you this)

o Tobacco and alcohol industries, who continue to make profit of these highly toxic and addictive substances with the only inconvenience of thousands of people dying because of it. Maybe if people had a better, safest, non-addictive alternative to past their friday nights? Mmh but I guess that wouldn't be so profitable since people can actually grow it themselves.

o Pharmaceutical companies who think they may profit less if ill people are able to grow their own medicine in preference to their many dangerous and addictive synthetic drugs which the same people claim are less effective than cannabis.

o The employees of the criminal justice industry and supportive industries, including police, lawyers, barristers, court officials, prison staff, probation services, drug counselors, forensic scientists, customs officers and security firms, who may suffer if 100,000 less prosecutions are brought each year.

o The fuel companies including fossil, nuclear and solar. The Report of the FCDA Europe - endorsed by Judges, Doctors & academics - reveals for the first time, the CANNABIS BIOMASS ENERGY EQUATION, which shows beyond doubt that cannabis-derived fuel, capable of providing almost all of our domestic and industrial energy requirements as well as running all of our cars without pollution, is easily a cheaper and safer form of viable energy. It is the huge oil and nuclear industries which have the main profit motivations for continued prohibition at any cost.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
???????? a dit:
* Parties who endorse the illegality of cannabis and actually make money off of it:

And dealers, gangs, etc etc.

Prohibition is just so ridiculous.

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
daytripper a dit:
then, cotton came, and fashion came. these are only ways to keep you buying things over and over. maybe if we all wore hemp clothes, cotton would stop being produced in a large scale, and because it ruins the soil, the earth would thank us. and we would have shirts that would last for 20 years. good for your pocket, good for the earth. bad for the industry.

this is so true before 1970 in Italy there was the Padana plain that was mostly cultivated with hemp and my parents always complain hat modern jeans are so low quality...they remember that they had to wash theirs with stones before they became comfortable enough to walk into them :lol:

i agree with most of the other posts as well, except the one by adoma