Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What book(s) are you reading?

????????

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
how do you know if you haven't read it yet

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I borrowed my copy from the library, so I cannot help out.

GEB was better, but this is an easier read. I have high hopes for the rest of the book though (am on p. 150).

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
how do you know if you haven't read it yet
Because I am reading it :wink:

Yes it is easier or rather too easy. It is so colloquially written that it somehow loses its appearance as a philosophical text. And you cannot base your thoughts on analogies (which he is often doing) as you can make analogies on everything so they lose their essence.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
^I don't think he bases his thoughts on analogies, I rather think these analogies examplify his thoughts.

Besides that, I don't think philosophy needs to be put in difficult language to convey an interesting idea.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
^I don't think he bases his thoughts on analogies, I rather think these analogies examplify his thoughts.
Yes and no. His analogies clearly preceed his thoughts. There are so many of them that I often think "ah c'mon get to the point".

No, the language needn't be difficult but high-standard language unterlines it seriousness and level of thought. Being able of formulating the thoughts clearly, in good language and without unneeded bla bla is for me quite important.

...with which I don't want to say that his thoughts are bad. Not at all. But some things could be concentrated on one page, rather than three pages. Sometimes, a good sentence is better than a novel.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
I recently found "Erich Fromm". I am very surprised having found someone with very similar ideas and thoughts as me. Fork could be interested in him.

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
restin a dit:
I recently found "Erich Fromm". I am very surprised having found someone with very similar ideas and thoughts as me. Fork could be interested in him.
Erich Fromm has written some amazing works. A couple of years ago I read The Art of Loving and the first half of You Shall Be as Gods: a radical interpretation of the Old Testament and its tradition.

I just finished reading Robert Tindall's 'The Jaguar that Roams the Mind", and have now read the first two chapters of Stan Grof's LSD Psychotherapy.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Hey guys hows this for an exciting buncha books!!!???

•Valence Bond Theory and Application
•Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
•The force of Symmetry
•Organic Chem 1

WOO! For fun summer reads.
(I'm actually really excited...)

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
restin a dit:

I'm familiar with his general position, but haven't read any of his books. Interesting fella.

restin a dit:
No, the language needn't be difficult but high-standard language unterlines it seriousness and level of thought. Being able of formulating the thoughts clearly, in good language and without unneeded bla bla is for me quite important.

Then maybe you should read GEB or the Mind's Eye, the book he edited together with Dennett.

I don't really get what you mean by high-standard language.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
restin a dit:
thanks for sharing. I am quite busy at the moment but I am reading "The Great Gatsby" right now. Everyone reads it but I really like it, good kind of humour.

It's a good book! I had to read it in school for my English diploma, I had it finished the next day or so, and by the time we had to write the tests I knew it by heart (kind of). Really, I read it like 3 times, watched the old movie 2 times, the newer one 3 times (both movies are pretty close to the book).

I had to restrain myself in the tests because for every question about a character or plot I could have written a whole book. That part and translation saved my day - came out with an overall A- in English. The minus was because I had been too lazy to learn grammar rules for the boring grammar rules part :) :oops:

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
IJesusChrist a dit:
Hey guys hows this for an exciting buncha books!!!???

•Valence Bond Theory and Application
•Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
•The force of Symmetry
•Organic Chem 1

WOO! For fun summer reads.
(I'm actually really excited...)

recommended reading for you IJC, a couple of books you should benefit from reading:

A Guidebook to Mechanism in Organic Chemistry - Peter Sykes
&
Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity - John C. Kotz & Keith F. Purcell
Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity will help you with what you are studying,, and give you a slightly deeper understanding of electron spin, electron hybridization, predicting organic reactions, and all that guff

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
The Jesus Mysteries
Thanks HC!
Thanks alot!

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
Space-is-the-Place a dit:
The Jesus Mysteries

is that a book about the non-evidence of the actual existence of jesus?

LsDxMdma

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
29 Nov 2007
ive read fear and loathing in las vegas.. its really much better than the movie.
also
The Rum Diaries also by Dr. Hunter Thompson.
great books.

ochho

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
5 Mar 2009
LsDxMdma a dit:
ive read fear and loathing in las vegas.. its really much better than the movie.
also
The Rum Diaries also by Dr. Hunter Thompson.
great books.

I gotta disagree.. (Although I haven't read the book entirely, just a few passages) I don't think you could compare the movie to the book, simply because when you are reading a book, there is room for your imagination to interpret some things differently(putting the writing to life through visualizing scenes/dialog..etc), kind of as if you were the "director" for the movie based on the book. This means that any movie based on a book will never satisfy you, unless you yourself directed the movie.
Terry Gilliam is a great director, and all of his movies are great works. (I highly recommend watching "Brazil")

Now, back on topic.. I recently started reading The Doors of Perception. I've always wanted to read it, well at least ever since I got introduced to psychedelics.

Problem with me though is I'm not much of a reader (as far as books are concerned) even though I'm always looking to learn new things, listen, cultivate myself, explore some concepts.. recently found a link to some Alan Watts recordings (posted by someone here on psychonaut..forgot who sorry) and I find his talks really interesting and meaningful.

Bottom-line, any recommended readings for an initiate psychonaut?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
^tip: Reality by Peter Kingsley.