Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

This is the youth of today...

restin

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
The first decade of the new millenium is coming to an end. What is it called? There are the 60'ies, the 90'es, is it the 00'ies now? The Oh-Oh-ies? The Zero-Zero'ies?

...anyway, that doesn't matter.

What do you think, what will stay of this decade? What movements will remain remembered? The emos? The gangsta-rappers? The house kids? Pop? What style of music defines this decade?

Then...what are the best albums that came out in this decade?

And, more important: What are the political events that formed it?

And what authors will be remembered?

And anyway, what were the important things in this decade?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
restin a dit:
What movements will remain remembered? The emos? The gangsta-rappers? The house kids? Pop? What style of music defines this decade?
I think there have been too many music styles and crossover genres to make any one stand out. Instead, this decade will be remembered as the age of YouTube, MySpace, Google and Wikipedia, as well as the age when trains and busses became public telephone boots.

It will mostly be remembered as the decade dominated by the schemes of Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney, with a surprise ending of a black president and a massive call for legalization of cannabis.

Though the Columbine High School massacre occured in 1999, the past decade featured many more shootings, also in Europe. Which suggests that the past decade will also be remembered for the widespread use of Ritalin and Concerta.

I'm still trying to think of a good band or artist that really represents the first decade of this century, but I can't think of any that wasn't already known in the 90s. Well, Paris Hilton perhaps. Yeah, Paris Hilton for sure.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
What do you think, what will stay of this decade? What movements will remain remembered? The emos? The gangsta-rappers? The house kids? Pop? What style of music defines this decade?
Those styles are so 90's...
I'd say that the 00's were defined by mixing different styles of music, but I also think we are just at the beginning. Remix culture ftw!

Then...what are the best albums that came out in this decade?
hard one. A friend of mine who is really into music is developing a top 100 album list of the 00's. Maybe I'll post it soon as he finishes it.

And, more important: What are the political events that formed it?
9/11. It may be obvious, but it is THE event that shaped the last 8 years.

And what authors will be remembered?
In fiction: Eggers, Bolano, Marias, etc.
In non-fiction: Zizek, Badiou, Sloterdijk, etc.

And anyway, what were the important things in this decade?
Finding a way to live harmoniously for people of different backgrounds in one society has been the defining characteristic of the last 10 years over here.

I think I don't have enough distance to truely value these answers and they might change within a year.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
too much shit is happening now.

Restin :oops:

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
It's much easier now to make your own electronic music on your computer.
Now everybody can make tracks and put them on the internet to be heard by whoever wants to listen.
Because of this home brew electronic stuff is my music of the 00,s.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
So, no united youth movements? How sad and boring...
Those styles are so 90's...
I'd say that the 00's were defined by mixing different styles of music, but I also think we are just at the beginning. Remix culture ftw!
depends. Hip Hop has risen from the underground into the mainstream culture in the 00's. Yes, the emos and house existed earlier, but, at least for switzerland, it reached the peak only recently. I can't tell for other countries.

I can think of one movement, but rather subculture - indie. I know, this whole stuff is old but the musical style has peaked in the 00's with bands as the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys and the whole hype. I think these will be the bands that will stay.
hard one. A friend of mine who is really into music is developing a top 100 album list of the 00's. Maybe I'll post it soon as he finishes it.
I am thinking of one as well. I think you'd need to categorize it into musical styles. You can't decide otherwise.
9/11. It may be obvious, but it is THE event that shaped the last 8 years.
yeah.
In fiction: Eggers, Bolano, Marias, etc.
In non-fiction: Zizek, Badiou, Sloterdijk, etc.
I admittedly only know Sloterdijk...

cockknocker

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
19 Oct 2008
I agree with the indie music.

I think the war on terror has been a massive event in shaping this decade.

Its interesting to think what future decades will be like. The 50's were full of post-war troubles and cold war paranoia, then the 60's were all hippys and shit. I wonder what the 10's(?) are going to be like...

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
magickmumu a dit:
Now everybody can make tracks and put them on the internet to be heard by whoever wants to listen.
What happened to good old garage rock? :cry:

By the way, isn't "minimal" really a thing of the 00's?

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
no, minimal is older.
but what about dubstep? I'd say it's an 00-thing. but I can't think of anything else. breakcore is older as well.
I think the 00s are more the time of music-crossings and better quality concerning electronic music. at least that's my feeling.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
The music scene is interesting.
Seems as if the domninant popular music, isnt as strong as for an eksample.
Rock hip hop metal etc....
No musical revolution really going on in the general.

We're starting to divide into tribes, with different genres.
I think this extreme capitalistic freedom is startin to change us into something.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
restin a dit:
Hip Hop has risen from the underground into the mainstream culture in the 00's.

This started already in the eighties and early nineties with people like Public Enemy, Tribe called quest, 2pac, Nas, LL Cool J, etc. Hiphop has been the dominant youth culture in my home town since at least 93/4. Last few years there are actually new things coming up again, like indie (which also has deep roots going back at least to the sixties).

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Fork: yes, hmm. I'm too young to tell but "gansta rap" is really THE style of music, equal (or even higher) than pop (which I both don't really like).

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Of course gangsta rap is still made, but it was already huge in the 90's.

Dubstep is newer, but I already said it is the eclecticism that defines 00's music for me. Nobody listens to just dubstep, there's always at least a few other genres. At the same time, new styles are formed by mixing lots of different influences.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Forkbender a dit:
but I already said it is the eclecticism that defines 00's music for me.
Yes! I thought about that too, that nowadays everyone I know is familiar with musicians from several very diverse music styles, which used to be much different in the past. I guess this can be contributed to a large extent to the ease and low expenses of downloading and copying music files (including entire discographies), versus buying expensive records or CDs.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
I very much agree, CM.

Nu Rave / Disco-Punk are very young (
). Also returns to 80's-ish sounds without really sounding like the sound of the 80's (
). Electronic is obviously old but changed A LOT in this decade - technology etc.

I think we generally have them all...

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Actually, the 00's will be remembered as the time when Ali G got aired on HBO, and we got to know Borat and Brüno.