Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

the evil mind

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I forgot that you are a neurologist, zezt, and understand that the left brain is always considered the major user of linear-time thought. You cannot just label people "left brainers" because they don't agree with you.

Read the book "the brain that changes itself" for a clearer understanding of what you seem to think you're a master of.

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
Light a dit:
You have to back up such a claim. Furthermore you need to show why it is that one aspect of the left-brain approach is an indication for the domination of that hemisphere over the other.

All I'm saying is that people use both sides of their brain, even if they are only conscious of one part of it.

Why don't you make a drawing or sing a song, because using language and logic (left-brain!) doesn't help you convince me that your view is entirely correct, maybe you need a little more right-brain in your approach.

back it us...? haha how long you got. it is so that indigenous peoples like for example the Australian Aboriginees do not have the same conception of time as we moderns have--which is linear. you know like in school we have 'History' and are told in 1448 this happened, then in 1607 that happened, and then that caused this and etc etc--feel me. Linear. Another example, religiously is the Christian myth--eg., a man was born of a virgin 2000 years ago, and lived till 33, was crucified, and then after 3 days was resurrected, and then time become 1AD and so on--that also is linear. With me?

but the Australian Dreamtime isn't linear. it was the the ritualistic experiencing of a cylic understanding of time http://www.biospiritual-energy-healing. ... mtime.html
yes you can still know that last year such and such happened, but there is a deeper understanding of the interconnectedness of past present and future. we are not saying--as i have explain several times that we are not using left brain. it is more we are not allowing pre-dominance of the left brain

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
IJesusChrist a dit:
I forgot that you are a neurologist, zezt, and understand that the left brain is always considered the major user of linear-time thought. You cannot just label people "left brainers" because they don't agree with you.

Read the book "the brain that changes itself" for a clearer understanding of what you seem to think you're a master of.

I am not a neurologist no, but the author of The Alphabet versus the Goddess who explains the capacities of left and right brain IS a brain surgeon! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5159783472

If someone does understand connections what else can i think than they are coming from a left brain dominant position?

Light

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2011
somehow, that explanation is unsatisfactory.

You say that linearity is left-brain and a cyclic understanding is right-brain. Yet you don't explain it, you pose it and then say look at aboriginals. This example may support your theory, as long as you belief they were right-brainers, but this theory is still not falsifiable, because you don't show how there is an unbroken link between left-brainism and linearity or right-brainism and cycles. Furthermore you would have to prove that linearity is always indicative of left-brain domination. Only then will your conclusion stand.

Clearly, you are not the kind of person to design such proofs and to fill in the gaps in your argument. Hence my advice to just paint a picture or sing a song, i.e. use your right brain.

goldwine119

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
3 Août 2011
And a right brain which sees and feels events all-at-once, such as when you observe a view in nature, a painting, someones face. Although the information is complex, you see it all at once. We need bopth left and right, but what has happened, especially since the incenption of abstract writing is there happening a pre-dominance of the left-crain over the right. The right sees patterns, connections, how parts relate to the whole. But as we see his history, what the pattern has been, is that these very oppressive mindsets which are left brain dominant, obsessed with linear time, measure, etc have invaded peoples who are more right brain and thus whole mind, and have done terrible evil things. Just look at the Inquisition and the 'witch-hunts, and what was done to native American peoples, and which continues by this culture which is destroying Mother Earth. So this evil continues.

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
what goldwine said.

I dont see how it can be put any clearer?

If you dont get it I suggest YOU sing a song also ;))

Light

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2011
Oh I get it, it's just that I think that is not the whole of reality. There is more out there and perhaps I'm too right-brain even for you to get what I am getting at. I call it intuition.

Let me ask you a straight up question:

How does the left brain dominate the right brain?

In other words:

How is the right brain limited by the left?

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
Light a dit:
Oh I get it, it's just that I think that is not the whole of reality. There is more out there and perhaps I'm too right-brain even for you to get what I am getting at. I call it intuition.

Let me ask you a straight up question:

How does the left brain dominate the right brain?

In other words:

How is the right brain limited by the left?

I have already told you. Is it true or not that from being little children we are FORCED to attend the 'education system'?
It is true for many kids, right. What do they push on children on school? They push left-brain curriculum of the Three Rs, called reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now, did you or did you not watch that video I linked you to above--a talk Leonard Shlain gave about the left brain and right brain? If you did, you would hear him talk about how the introduction of writing and alphabet dramatically effected our ancestors causing them to become left-brain predominant, precisely because reading and writing is very different in process from right-brain interaction with reality. He gave the example that reading--as like you are reading these very words is one-at-a-time, one word at a time, which is very different than looking at your view outside your window, or a painting, or face, where you see and feel all-at-once. You see complex information but are seeing it all at once. Now does he mean that when this happens ONLY right brain is involved? No, because when right brain is allowed to be it will obviously not suppress whole brain, because left and right are inter-connected, as reality is interconnected. Right brain is about seeing and feeling and understanding patterns, connections. BUT if left brain assumes dominance what we actually see in the history of this is exactly what is warned about. The Goddess, Mother Earth, animals, and humans become numbers--they become commodities.
The left brain will say eg 'there is ONLY measure and no spirit'. If you say 'but cannot you feel the spirit?'--they will say 'until you give me evidence, it does not exist', and so on. it is very difficult to get through this barrier because of their one-at-a-time world view. Even when many of these people take psychedelics and may experience this deeper sense of the interrelation of reality, they often reduce the experience simply chemical operation of the brain. They will assert this even though their previous science does not know what consciousness is nor what matter is. THAT connection they also fail to see and absorb.

Pazusu

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Août 2006
just started reading this interesting discussion...while reading it through I started wondering what it is in Light's reply that caused Zezt to jump into defense, causing a never ending argueing about the left and the right brain, while that's not the main topic.

Is it the name "Light" that you have associations with that irritate, or is it a previous discussion that still slumbers on in this discussion?...or am I seeing emotions that are not there?

I couldn't keep the attention to the discussion because I am interested more in self-conciousness and its outcome on itself than the neurological system behind it. Probably the brainfunctions are not divided as clear as we'd mathematically like to vision. The brain is still a biological product with small imperfections and the brain is also a system that can adjust itself to some extent if certain areas don't work as most people's brains do.

I even think that if we would be mathematically perfect, there would not have been evolution. Imperfection may be the motor/creative intelligence behind all creation.

The most important place where an evil mind, or thinking patters that causes unhappiness, is childhood. Looking at education as it mostly is...listening to someone in front a a class, and follow what the group does, act how we should behave...we're not taught to form our own thoughts, be who we are, learn from our own specific talents and specialities.

Light

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2011
zezt, I must confess I didn't watch the entire video.

It is interesting to note that a lot of speed-reading techniques advice the reader to take in chunks of words at the same time, maybe 4-5 words at once. Once you get over the word for word method, your reading speed will increase dramatically without reducing the understanding of the text.

While I see what you are getting at and underscore your critique of the linear society, I think you are posing it a little too extreme. As if right brain isn't allowed to come out in both art and science. I think they are. I think there is ample evidence that right-brain functions are stimulated in schools around the world as well. I know mine were.

Ultimately, you cannot solve a mathematical problem without making connections and seeing the bigger picture, a right-brain thing. I also remember all the songs I learned about spring time and fall and winter, which gave me a definite sense of the cyclic nature of time. I think progress in science is impossible without right brain overview and intuition and creativity. The fact that there is still progress being made, shows that the world is not lost.

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
Light a dit:
zezt, I must confess I didn't watch the entire video.

It is interesting to note that a lot of speed-reading techniques advice the reader to take in chunks of words at the same time, maybe 4-5 words at once. Once you get over the word for word method, your reading speed will increase dramatically without reducing the understanding of the text.

While I see what you are getting at and underscore your critique of the linear society, I think you are posing it a little too extreme. As if right brain isn't allowed to come out in both art and science. I think they are. I think there is ample evidence that right-brain functions are stimulated in schools around the world as well. I know mine were.

Ultimately, you cannot solve a mathematical problem without making connections and seeing the bigger picture, a right-brain thing. I also remember all the songs I learned about spring time and fall and winter, which gave me a definite sense of the cyclic nature of time. I think progress in science is impossible without right brain overview and intuition and creativity. The fact that there is still progress being made, shows that the world is not lost.

I never claimed that there is any such thing as JUST-left brain awareness. That would be impossible. I think I said that such an idea would be to think we were 'machines'. But actually it has to be said that some people do seem very mechanical-like, the way they talk, look, how they move etc.
But no I never meant that right brain has no part of left brain--I said left brain pre-dominance. So for example, of course may scientists and inventors have gone through this process: they think very hard about the problem, then they may be relaxing, and suddenly the anser comes to them, and usually this may come as images. Also this has happened when certain scienticts have taken psychedelics, for example Nobel Prize genius Crick was high on LSD when he discovered the secret of life. He apparently directly saw a dynamic image, and from there clicked with what he had been trying to discover!

So that is VERY much left and right brain in continuum. BUT, what can happen is that the left-brain dominant culture which is destroying Mother Earth will use these discoveries to further the destruction. So for example now we have the spectre of the GMO Monsanto oppression over us. Thousands of farmers in India have killed themselves due to this industry!

Light

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2011
I am aware of the problems with Monsanto, lets not get into that topic too much here, because we both agree that its atrocious.

What you seem to say all through this thread is that evil mind is somehow associated with left-brain pre-dominance. I don't know if this is true. I think egoic thought is spread throughout the brain. Some part may be on the right and the left can reinforce that with separateness and such.

In part I think it also is a natural development when you come from a state in which you have to fight to survive, which humans needed to do in the past when they moved to more barren locations. Doesn't mean it is good or that it should be like that, of course. Now, we are still fighting for resources, but on a grander scale. A little right-brain revolution might help is to get to the next level where we integrate the two and become humanity. The question is: what do you do that is helping us go in that direction? I find it often hard to see what people with insight need to do to help others see it too. Sitting back and just criticizing every mistake doesn't help in any way, I've tried that for a number of years. So far the only thing that works for me is to live joyfully. Maybe it will rub off on others.

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
Light a dit:
The question is: what do you do that is helping us go in that direction? I find it often hard to see what people with insight need to do to help others see it too. Sitting back and just criticizing every mistake doesn't help in any way, I've tried that for a number of years. So far the only thing that works for me is to live joyfully. Maybe it will rub off on others.

Well I cant honestly say I know because I can get very frustrated with the state of things, but I love to ask myself and others questions. These question may be seen as challenges, which often they are, because those that stay fast to a rigid belief will not like it to be questioned.

To me the bottom line is to have deep respect for sacred Earth, because THIS is real--all kinds of fancy ideas about some idealized state are not real. So there has to be both spiritual awareness and political awareness and action. I dont see any other way. Thinking yourself happy wont change anything as such---not that you should be miserable all the time.