Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Terence Mckenna books

figment

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Jan 2008
So, probably like everybody else in this community I got interested in Terence Mckenna. I've known him for years but only in the past months I've been watching some youtube lectures of him. Now I want to read some of his books. Since I don't intend to read them all, maybe you people could recommend some of his work? :)

Thanks

magickmumu

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
I have two books in mind

The Archaic revival gives a general overview of his ideas.

True Hallucinations is fun to read. It's about the adventures of terence, his brother Denis and a group of small friends. They form a expedition into the Amazon in search of ayahusca. What they found was not Ayahuasca but mushrooms.

Nina_is_alive

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
11 Mar 2009
I saw Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna at barnes and Noble today and though hard about buying it, having remembered maybe heard somethiing about it on this forum [which I probably did knowing this forum lol] however I couldnt remember what was said about it and wanted to know some more about what you guys though about it before buying it blindly.
It seemed pretty intresting but perhaps a bit much like a textbook sortof book, flipping through it.

any of you guys read it? and what did you think?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
It was a fun read, but I doubt his 'scientific evidence' would survive scrutiny.

But it is nice to think about the role psychedelics could've played in evolution.

VapourTrail

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Sept 2007
Might also wanted to listen to his recordings - I think deoxy (spelling?) has them all - there are links at the bottom of his wikipedia entry.

There is something in his voice that isn't in his writing.

Try not to get too carried away, it is interesting, definitely worth reading/listening to... but a lot of it is ideas he was exploring that you will find quotes from himself saying he was testing it, trying to put the idea forward as an idea, not as fact.

EDIT: Aha! = http://deoxy.org/media/McKenna

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
Nina_is_alive a dit:
I saw Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna at barnes and Noble today and though hard about buying it, having remembered maybe heard somethiing about it on this forum [which I probably did knowing this forum lol] however I couldnt remember what was said about it and wanted to know some more about what you guys though about it before buying it blindly.
It seemed pretty intresting but perhaps a bit much like a textbook sortof book, flipping through it.

any of you guys read it? and what did you think?

i read it years ago. I remember there was a lot of information in it about all kinds of drugs and there effect upon cultural history. He even wrote about television as a mind altering drug.
And of course there was his theory about mushrooms and evolution. A theory that indeed may be a bit doubtful.