Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Sums up why I almost left the forum.

magickmumu

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
mysticwarrior a dit:
The inquisition

I remember i've been on a vacation in france, where they had a torture museum. WTF, you get sick while watching to those torture devices and technique`s :shock: If we had still lived in those times..... Man we had a huge problem, that for sure!

They also love torture museums in london. They seem to be proud of it.
I don't think it's something to be proud of. :(

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
yeah, i wouldn't be proud of it either, but i guess it's there also as to say who did what with what and who in which time, you could use it as actual proof in case someone were to come out saying "the Church did only good" that's when you take them to the torture museum and show them...if they don't understand give them a bit of that good old medicine they called "the boots" :twisted:
anywhoo we are so offtopic here....who was gonna leave anyway?

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
indeed, torture is nothing we should be proud of. But still, it is part of our history...we may not ignore that.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Holy crap where did this thread go?

Here:
In the twentieth century, a hypothetico-deductive model for scientific method was formulated (for a more formal discussion, see below):

1. Use your experience: Consider the problem and try to make sense of it. Look for previous explanations. If this is a new problem to you, then move to step 2.
2. Form a conjecture: When nothing else is yet known, try to state an explanation, to someone else, or to your notebook.
3. Deduce a prediction from that explanation: If you assume 2 is true, what consequences follow?
4. Test: Look for the opposite of each consequence in order to disprove 2. It is a logical error to seek 3 directly as proof of 2. This error is called affirming the consequent.

This is science. It's not a mindset, or anything it is just following these steps. I really don't see how much it matters who "invented" it.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
In the twentieth century, a hypothetico-deductive model for scientific method was formulated (for a more formal discussion, see below):
:roll: You Genious!

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Yesterday I was watching the third part of Adventures in English, a documentary about the English language. There was an interesting section about how initially English Bibles (translated by John Wycliff) were forbidden by the Catholic Church and smuggled into the country from France. Years later William Tindale produced another version, and though he himself was burned at the stake in Antwerp, the king of Britain 'legalized' his Bible a year later. Common people could now read the Bible themselves (used to be available in Latin only) and that's what started a whole new phase for Christianity in Britain, and in a sense a new religion. So what exactly is "the church" that's being discussed in this thread?

Regarding science: the heliocentric model of the universe, understanding planets to be spheres and stars to be like our sun, was known to whoever composed the Rig Veda and texts from more or less the same era. In the Puranas ("histories") you'll find sections on Sankhya ("counting"), which resembles chemistry and physics, and descriptions of the anu, which is very similar to our conception of atoms. They also had highly developed mathematics. Descriptions of the relative distance between different dvipas ("islands") as described in the Bhagavata Purana turn out to match very closely our modern calculations for the distances between the different planets within our solar system. In other words, where the Puranic texts talk about islands on a flat disk, they are talking about planets floating around (as if islands in space...) in our more or less flat solar system. Ancient ayurvedic texts also discussed surgery, which means people must have cut open dead bodies to study the organs: a scientific method. So I think the scientific approach has been part of humankind from very early on, and will always resurface when it gets the chance. We just went through a rather unscientific phase during the Dark Ages.

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
Ditto