Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Some help if any, please

rippedsuperhero

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2006
I am not sure where would be a good place to post something like this but,

I have a short essay due thursday about the common definition of the phrase, "Laugh oneself into stitches". I need any open thought or ideas on this phrase and what you think of it. I already have concept on the meaning, but any open debate and help would be gladly accepted...

toadlicker

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
1 Fev 2006
this is probably stupid but atleast it's a reply.

the laughing part could be seen as being caused by a spiritual experience like in voodoo or charismatic christianity where a soul is so full of a spirit that the body becomes possessed making wounds open physically (stigmata) or something of the like, hence the stitches.
this is probably rediculous but it's the first thing that came to mind.

phalaris

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
7 Mai 2005
My association is a bit more down to earth I think; when you laugh extremely hard, you won't pay attention to the surrounding, and yet at the same time make wild gestures. That is a bad combination, and you can get yourself wounded. Hence the stitches.

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
The expression is derived from another expression "side splitting" (ie. side splitting laughter.)(that joke was a side splitter)

If you split your sides from laughing, you get stitched up, erego; you're left in stitches.

what a stupid paper

rippedsuperhero

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2006
Yeah it is pretty rediculous and this only for 10th grade college prep english class and it gets worse... my friend whose a junior has less than a week to write a 3-5 page paper about spaying and nuittering pets...

but thanks for the replies!

alice

Inscrit
9 Juil 2003
actually the sentence is interesting, for those who like linguistics, but probably (specially the essae that your friend has to write) must be about ones ability to talk/write about bullshit for a while and be convencing, and not really the subject itself, or what? lol

crazy old teaching methods...

no ofense to you or your friend...

alice :)

alice

Inscrit
9 Juil 2003
i guess you need a diccionary of linguistics or something like that, to investigate the origin of the saying. and then don't forget to share your findings with us!

as for your friend... lol... what does nuiterring even mean?

good luck to him.

alice :wink:

rippedsuperhero

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2006
im not sure how to spell it but the deffinition is chopping a males testicles off, or for female dogs u can have it spayed so it cant have puppies...

High school is pretty rediculous when it comes down to it...

alice

Inscrit
9 Juil 2003
yah, the whole educational system sucks pretty much, in so many ways, it's just ridiculous and compulsary ridiculous... the government makes us go to school to learn shit, basically...
:cry:
alice