Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

So, who are you? :-)

sex / age / education (finished or currently undertaking)?

• male

Votes: 0 0,0%
  • female

• <20

• 20-25

• 25-30

Votes: 3 10,0%
  • 30-35

Votes: 2 6,7%
  • >35

• high school

• undergrad

Votes: 6 20,0%
  • postgrad

Votes: 19 63,3%

• Nombre total d'électeurs

Sprax

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juin 2009
I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of people do psychedelics. These forums might be at least somewhat representative.

Ps. Sorry the poll ends at >35 but I'm only allowed 10 options. :|

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
BIG BROTHER!

Modern Day Hippie

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Avr 2010
so far im the only one under 20! lol idk if that's a good thing or not :?

Sprax

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juin 2009
So far we're pretty much conforming to the stereotype: young educated men. Interestingly whenever an acticity is risky - either inherently, seemingly or because it's illegal etc - women rarely seem to be involved.

Then again, the selection is probably at least somewhat skewed by the fact that this is a forum and a disproportionate amount of men seem to be into technical things.

Edit:
Modern Day Hippie a dit:
so far im the only one under 20! lol idk if that's a good thing or not :?
Yeah well apparently I'm the only one over 25. Apparently I'm old. :( When did that happen?

_Avatar_

Banni
Inscrit
19 Jan 2010
Psychonauts, especially those on this forum, seem to be philosophical folks, often eschewing mainstream media and popular culture, with its emphasis on physical beauty, fancy clothes and lighthearted conversations. I believe it's because of these things that there are some but not many women hanging around on forums like these.

Sprax

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juin 2009
_Avatar_ a dit:
Psychonauts, especially those on this forum, seem to be philosophical folks, often eschewing mainstream media and popular culture, with its emphasis on physical beauty, fancy clothes and lighthearted conversations. I believe it's because of these things that there are some but not many women hanging around on forums like these.

This just raises further questions though. If you are right, then why aren't women "philosophical folks, often eschewing mainstream media and popular culture, with its emphasis on physical beauty, fancy clothes and lighthearted conversations"

Some women defy these statistics but finding one takes a great degree of luck. If you've got one, don't f*ck up, imho. 8)

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I was a member of "Genius Forums" for a while and we had a long discussion about feminism and intelligence... the consensus on the website, barring me, is that women can never contain genius.

It's tricky, I don't believe it, but really attempt to prove it to yourself that it is incorrect... :? I'm not sure if I have met woman genius before. Many, many intelligent women, on par by number with males, but... Please don't get a sexist view of me after this one :(

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
IJesusChrist a dit:
I was a member of "Genius Forums" for a while and we had a long discussion about feminism and intelligence... the consensus on the website, barring me, is that women can never contain genius.

It's tricky, I don't believe it, but really attempt to prove it to yourself that it is incorrect... :? I'm not sure if I have met woman genius before. Many, many intelligent women, on par by number with males, but... Please don't get a sexist view of me after this one :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Curie

but that's only one that comes up to me.

maybe it has something to do with our male cultural history..
Could also be natural in some way... Males are more left-brained, women use both sides of their head more :p..

Sprax

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juin 2009
IJesusChrist a dit:
...the consensus on the website, barring me, is that women can never contain genius.
I'm not sure what you mean by "containing genius", but in terms on intelligence I don't think women lag behind men. The highest IQ ever recorded still belongs to a women, afaik:
The IQ calculation of 228 was listed in Guinness Book of World Records, listed in the short biographies in her books, and is the one she gives in interviews. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_vos_Savant

Having said that, women seem to be more risk averse, which I think is the real issue. That is, in any given population men tend to be among the best and worst performing.

For instance, the doctor who discovered that stomach ulcers are actually caused by bacteria experimented on himself, survived and won the Nobel price. Meanwhile another doctor who proved that yellow fever is caused by mosquitoes, died when he infected himself in order to prove his point. Both took a chance, one won and the other lost.

Shamanita a dit:
maybe it has something to do with our male cultural history..
That's probably one factor. Still it begs the question, WHY is history dominated by males? Physical strength being valued more than intelligence historically, is likely one reason, but I think risk-taking behaviour among men also an important factor. It is speculation of course... :)

_Avatar_

Banni
Inscrit
19 Jan 2010
I started off being against sexism, even being an activist in that regard. I still believe women can be just as intelligent as men, but somehow not many of them are motivated to do a lot of self-study, renounce material possessions, become scholarly or figure out the nature of reality.

The psychedelic movement is not inherently male-oriented, the way most branches of Hinduism, Islam and Christianity are (all clearly patriarchal systems). And yet there are very few female authors, movie-makers, lecturers or activists. Even on forums like these there are hardly any women.

You'll find lots of women in the Santo Daime churches though, which isn't really a philosophical system. Also lots of young women in the psytrance scene, Ayahuasca healing centers, or the broader New Age movement. These are all areas where there's a lot of Real Life interaction going on, and generally very little philosophical disagreement and debate.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
I think it's because womens role is more defined than ours.

They are the givers of life, the nurturers....

we can do that too.....but we also like to destroy things, starting with weak little creatures, slowly gaining confidence in our own ability to destroy, then, we graduate to killing each other. But in the search for ever new ways to do these things to each other, we also accidentally stumble across lots of other cool things that are not necessarily directly related to killing each other.

Call it serendipity.

I believe that women, per se, do not NEED psychedelics like men do, because of this reality.

Men need psychedelics, generally speaking, and women don't.

This is really pretty simple when you consider that the effects of psychedelic enlightenment are feminine at the core.

They already got the message.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
possible - I also see that women are labelled as sub-par to men from the first years of school in the U.S.

"Women are bad at math" is something I can remember hearing from my classmates as early as first grade. This gets engrained easily.

_Avatar_

Banni
Inscrit
19 Jan 2010
spice a dit:
I believe that women, per se, do not NEED psychedelics like men do, because of this reality.
Men need psychedelics, generally speaking, and women don't.
This is really pretty simple when you consider that the effects of psychedelic enlightenment are feminine at the core.
They already got the message.
Hm, I disagree. Not all but certainly most women are completely in illusion: brainwashed and lured by advertisements and glossy magazines. Most women identify themselves with their bodies, particularly their skin, abhorring the thought of becoming older. Also lots of women are depressed, judgmental, self-centered, materialistic, greedy, envious or just plain shallow. The idea that women already embody feminine values is a myth. Most of them are just as driven by their egos as men are.

So my stance is that currently EVERYONE needs psychedelics or psychedelic therapy. Women need them especially because mothers have an enormous impact on our future generations. If we want to attain a better world, we need to change the way children are treated, and that starts with women (and men) getting rid of their games and hang-ups, inherited from a sick society.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
you make a good point, but maybe I didnt explain it good enough....

I didn't mean that no woman needs psychedelics, I meant that they need it less to get in touch with the 'core' reality of what we are about, which is that of a nurturing earthship paradigm, not that of Viking-warrior, which is where 98% of all men are in their mental orientation.

Of course, you are correct in the specific senses you mentioned. women are prone to neuroses and all that as well, but they don't need the core lesson of non-dominance fucking drilled into their heads the way men do.

Now, your point about the women needing the psychedelics in order to raise the children with better values is spot on.

I may have gotten a bit sweeping in my generalizing when I said 'women don't need psychedelics'......

what i should have said was that what I feel to be the primary message of psychedelics, that of communion and fellowship, vs. domination and war, women already get. They don't need the enlightenment in that area, and men do.

:ANAL:

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
i think personally (building from spice and avatars mini debate) i would put it: 'women don't need psychedelics, for the same reason that men do' because the more i read this thread, the more i can see the complimentary aspect, of how (this is stereotypical mind you) men seek that which he (normally)seeks in women, from psychedelics. so would not then, women, seek to find that which she seeks normally in men, from psychedelics as well?

methinkso. of course, i am not a woman, maybe shamanita or another lonely psychonaut can answer in regards :wink:

yes i know my wording is a bit fantastical, weird mood.