Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

So guys, where do I pick these things?

Benholley

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2010
I'm sure there's probably a thread about this, but it's not on the first page, so I figure I'll start one, for myself, and anyone else that's interested.

I live in a very humid climate, so I know that there must be some form of psychoactive fungi that grow in my town.
There are cowfields in my area, but they're quite the drive away from here.

But my question is: what kind of places (under logs, beside a certain type of tree, near a dead animal etc.) would I find mushrooms? Or is there a better way to locate them?

MrEmo

Banni
Inscrit
17 Juin 2010
roughly where do you live? the species available will depend on that

viljo

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
20 Fev 2009
Eating mushrooms gathered in the wild is risky and should not be undertaken by individuals not knowledgeable in mushroom identification.
So says the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom

Psilocybin mushrooms are regulated or prohibited in many countries, often carrying severe legal penalties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom

After careful consideration here is my advice.
If you find one at mininium run a serch inside this forum and send a picture to the individual who you believe is in the know.
I personally would not harvest them unless I was almost on my way out.
If the opportuinty came about I would try one.

Teonanacapilli

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
26 Oct 2009
Get the book Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Paul Stamets, it's the ultimate Psilocybin mushroom guide.

Benholley

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2010
Psilocybin doesn't grow here as far as I know.
I live in Tampa Florida, and there's a small wood behind my house, as well as numerous pine trees around it, which I believe Amanita Musciara use as a host tree.

I've been told that the best time to look for them is right after a heavy rain.

And of course I would thoroughly vet the toxicity of the mushroom before ingesting it.

spice

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
they grow in cowshit, Ben.

Go find a cowfield where the cows eat grass.....not one where the farmer feeds them grain which has an anti-fungal agent in it.

You are in the right place, Florida has them......they are brown to tan capped, with a lighter colored stem. The dead giveaway
that you have the right ones are that the underside where the gills are will be dark purple and there will be a dark purple-black ring around the stem, it is very distinctive.

These things will bruise blue-green when broken at the stem

Go get 'em

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
usually this means go out in the country and find skinny cows, preferably when they are in the prescence of cowbirds, little peculiar looking white birds that are part of the symbiosis- the birds eat bugs which are around and in the cowpoop, and unwittingly ingest the spores of psilocibe cubensis, spreading them far and wide.

After a good rain, when its around 80 degreees F is the perfect time. Along the fenceline where the shade keeps the direct sun off of them is where I always found the most.

good hunting

Benholley

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2010
spice a dit:
usually this means go out in the country and find skinny cows...

See these guys every time I'm on the highway. It's just so much gas money spent on getting there.

But you have to work for all good things, right?

Thanks for the answers. I'll use this information along with other data that I've read, and if I do end up finding Musciara or Cubenis, I'll update this thread.

Benholley

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2010
??

Benholley

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2010
Well then, in answer to your previous question, as far as I can tell, at least in a metaphysical, psychological, or spiritual sense, I am just a man.

Perhaps in some unkown manner I am a closed circle, but after a breif search of the compendium of knowledge I have compiled thus far, I am not a closed circle.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
You're a SQUARE! bahahaha

Alias55A

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
12 Nov 2008
What do ya know! I live in Tampa Florida also! Woot for Floridians.... But I did here it was out of season untill like around April. But that doesnt mean you wont be able to find any on a hot, humid, rainy day :D . Even though I have never actually picked them myself, just bought them through a dude, who knows a dude. I've had the Idea of asking a farmer if I could look through there field, but it might be risky. People, especially farmers, have guns.... Has anyone here every asked a farmer and it actually turned out ok?

Benholley

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2010
Update:

I have found from what I can tell is Amanita Gemmata growing in my yard.

Three caps, two of them have yet to sporinate, one has sporinated, which I picked, chopped up, and ground into some topsoil near the other two, and watered all of them lightly.

What can I do to further cultivate the growing of these fungi?

I will post pictures at some point tomorrow in order to more reliably identify them

rockinsoul

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
6 Avr 2011
I couldn't answer for the mushroom season in Florida, but if anyone in the UK is reading this and wondering the same thing, then the time to pick Liberty Caps is september/october. The tell tale signs are a grassy field with either sheep or cows, bullrushes and buttercups :) Amanita Muscarias grow in woodland. Be mindful of amanita phalloides (death caps) and destroying angels, also amanita pantherinas (panther caps) all of which are very deadly. Psilocybe Cyanescens grow in woodchip plantations in urban areas, and I have no idea where psilocybe azurescens grow :D

SundayForever

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
11 Avr 2011
Well, in answer to your previous question, as far as I can tell, at least in a metaphysical sense, psychological or spiritual, I'm just a man.

Maybe somehow I am a circle unknown, but after a brief search in the compendium of knowledge that I have collected so far, I am not a closed circle.

Buy RS Gold,Cheap Maplestory Mesos,Runescape Gold

flickedbic

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
31 Mar 2011
Cool, what trees are they growing under? Amanita are symbiotic with the roots of certain trees (altho' I have heard a specific type of pea can accomplish the feat as well) including Birch and Pine.
If they are growing under one, maybe you can plant the other tree type it likes around there as well so it can thrive off both root systems. :rolleyes:
I think you did the right thing. Maybe try 'noccing up the tree roots directly next time.

The mycelium can be grown, but not fruited, on petri dishes.
mmm... *imagines huge petri plates leaking muscimol* :p