Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

severe headache after eating shrooms

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
a girlfriend of mine seems to have the disastrous headache after consuming the shrooms approx. in 50% of cases she eats them. The headache begins after the effects have worn off and lasts for the couple of hours. Ibuprofen and similar analgesics help a little, but whatsoever... what's the cause? I always eat the same shrooms she does and expect no after-sideffects. What is the reason for this and how (if at all) it can be prevented? p.s. acid does not influence her badly, nor does dxm, dmt and so on.

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I have had the same a couple of times. Tried to deduce what it was, but couldn't find a good explanation. It wasn't drinking too little, or being in too light an environment (dilated pupils and light can cause headache) in my case.

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
Mushrooms are some sort of toxic..
It's probably just that some can handle it better then other.

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
Toxic mushrooms are toxic; Psilocybes are not.
There must be some better explanation, such as dehydration, malnutrition, or something else completely.

flyingkite

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
25 Mai 2007
Dehydration usually gives pain in the back, especially in the kidneys area but headaches are sometimes mentioned as side effects during the coming down.

Maru

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Sept 2006
Nobody know why but the psylocibin is sometimes a good treatment for cluster headaches. It's not that impossible to imagine that it has the opposite effect for some people. Hey , it's a very active component ;) !

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
brain over-stimulation?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Meduzz a dit:
brain over-stimulation?

I've thought of that, more along the line: I just spend 6 hours outside of my ego and my ego doesn't really like that, so it will punish my body for doing a stupid thing like ingesting 5 grams of dried mushrooms.

Stupid ego!

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
Does she consume anything else other than the mushrooms? Maybe the combination of another substance could cause the headache? If she did consume something else with the mushrooms, try just consuming the mushrooms with NOTHING else. Also she should fast before her trip, and when she is coming down, make sure she eats something light, if none of these things work, I have no clue...

PEACE

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Next time she trips, make sure she keeps her spine erect and neck straight. Very often people assume weird postures when they're tripping, especially when sitting down, and that could certainly give a headache afterwards. Lying down, and perhaps taking a little walk halfway the trip (if that is not too disorienting) might help. Yoga in general is very healthy, but kicks ass when you're high.

Also, make sure the trip is over before midnight, so she can fall asleep at a normal time. I usually eat my shrooms between 18:00 and 20:00.

Another thing to try out: make mushroom tea. She might be sensitive to the, otherwise harmless, fiber of mushrooms.

Does she take the mushrooms on an empty stomach or does she fast for half a day? That is good, but perhaps she needs more carbs, so she could try to eat some fruits (like ripe bananas) about 20 minutes after drinking the tea, or even every hour of the trip.

Try some of these and be sure to let us know if it makes a difference. Headaches suck (got one now...).

The following comes from: http://www.clusterbusters.com/hallucinogens.html

Magic Mushrooms & Vascular Headaches

Certain species of mushrooms have long been used to treat vascular headaches. This dates back to witch doctors and medicine men. The author Lewis Carrol was known to suffer from migraine and is also suspected of using magic mushrooms.

In recent times, some people occasionally using either LSD or magic mushrooms recreationally have noticed a correlation between the use of these substances and a remarkable improvement in their condition. In fact a mysterious absence of headaches. However, there is also anecdotal evidence from frequent abusers of both substances citing the exact opposite, that these substances have worsened their condition.

What is clear is that these substances certainly have an effect on vascular headaches. It would also appear that occasional consumption of relatively low doses may bring about a remission, whereas regular consumption at higher doses may exacerbate the condition. This is not an altogether unusual occurrence among conventional treatments. For instance, radiation can both cure and cause cancer.

psilocomp1.jpg

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
YUM^^

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
No, we did not combine any substances except for maijuana...but headaches tended to occur with and without it, hence that's not the matter..
We always eat shrooms on an empty stomach... Maybe dehydration could be the reason!. Talking about brain over-stimulation...can't agree here, as acid has never caused any headaches, even in large doses, nearing 500 mcg. The thing is, there are three main active components in shrooms: psilocybin, psilocin and baeocystin (not sure about spelling here), and amount of all three can vary. It could be that large doses of baeocystin, for example, caused the headache. Not really sure. Also, apart from the psychoactive ingredients mentioned above, the shrooms, being an organic substance, must contain a wide variety of other chemicals, which could turn into [relatively] toxic substances during the metabolism. Moreover, the action of shrooms depends on the conditions they were cultivated in...There are just too many factors that could contribute to the headache, unfortunately. However, any info on this subject would be appreciated :)

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"Next time she trips, make sure she keeps her spine erect and neck straight."

I think that this is very important , when i forgot it i always got neck / head ache .

"Also, make sure the trip is over before midnight, so she can fall asleep at a normal time. Another thing to try out: make mushroom tea. She might be sensitive to the, otherwise harmless, fiber of mushrooms."

Those three things are good advice from someone who obviously knows what he is talking about from experience . The protine part of the mushrooms is not toxic but it is hard to digest .

"No, we did not combine any substances except for maijuana"

Its better to do it without smoking anything .

" It could be that large doses of baeocystin, for example,"

I cant find anything about it being toxic anywhere . Or being in any mushroom in a high enough quantity to have any effect other than a changing of the effects of the Psilocybin .

" the shrooms, being an organic substance, must contain a wide variety of other chemicals, which could turn into [relatively] toxic substances during the metabolism"

NO and NO ..

"Moreover, the action of shrooms depends on the conditions they were cultivated in..."

Yes , but if they didnt poison all of you , or you didnt feel any strange effects thats unlikely to be the reason .

Fasting before you take them does not include not drinking , and people who are on trips seldom drink things , so dehydration could be a cause . I often noticed something strange happening to my lymph glands in my neck and on my head by my ears after taking mushrooms .

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
slighlty offtopic but..talking about strange sensations..when I eat shrooms my nose is always stuck, as I am having a flu or something, and my skin is somehow anesthetized, especially the mouth-I barely can taste anything.Resembles the sensation you get when you visit the dentist and he makes that nasty anesthetic injection..

aequitas3

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
7 Jan 2008
buffachino a dit:
Toxic mushrooms are toxic; Psilocybes are not.
There must be some better explanation, such as dehydration, malnutrition, or something else completely.

as a matter of fact, psilocybin is a treatment for cluster headaches =)