Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

School me in the art of Dutch

Brewmaster

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
21 Août 2006
So, I'll be travelling over seas in the spring of next year and will be popping by your beautiful country for a week. Fortunately, most of you kind folks speak english as well ( which automatically makes you twice as smart ) but I really want to learn a little bit of your strange, backwards language. lol.

Thanks to Pazusu, I now know that nog beter means "much better" but I want some of my Holland homies to teach me a few more phrases that could come in handy when I'm over there, or just to confuse my friends around here. I say nog beter all the time and no one knows why, I love it.

One phrase I'd like translated.. "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

be creative

forest

Inscrit
30 Déc 2005
what are; pretzels?

Pazusu

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Août 2006
These [=deze] pretzels [=pretbekken] are making [=maken] me [=mijn] thirsty [=feest compleet]

Deze pretbekken maken mijn feest compleet.

Now repeat after me: Dey-ze prret-bek-kun mah-kun mayn feyst com-plait.

Kwarkfanaat

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
2 Jan 2006
One you will be needing very often when staying in Holland:

Roll me a royal joint
=
Draai mij eens een riante pretsigaret

And thanks for all the cocky compliments :D :oops:

G

Invité
Pazusu a dit:
These [=deze] pretzels [=pretbekken] are making [=maken] me [=mijn] thirsty [=feest compleet]

Deze pretbekken maken mijn feest compleet.

Hahaha, these pretzels make my party complete :D

Pazusu

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Août 2006
One difference in culture.
In holland you don't get:
pretzels2.jpg

(we call them pretzels too, a pretbek is slang, litterally translated it's funface)
but you'll get:
240805_naturalisatiedag_anp_tcm44-187616.jpg

(if you come to live in Holland, this is part of your integrationcourse)

And not:
waitress_beer.jpg

Therefore you'll have to go a little more east: Germany. They have Oktoberfest.

In Holland you get:
glas_fluitje.jpg

It is as small as it looks like and we call it a "fluitje" [fluytje, litterally: a whistle], if you order a coke, you even get a smaller glass.
If you want a little larger glass you order an "Amsterdammertje" [Àmsterdàmmurtjuh]. Then you'll get:
bierglas_op_groen.jpg

I may hope you get the same brand, 'cos it's the best. It's pronounced: Gghrrrolsss (a tough one for Americans).

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
You guys are the best!!!

Paz, we have Grolsch over here too, and it happens to be one of my favorites as well. (we already have so much in common)

They might sell them the same way over there, but on this side of the pond, Grolsch comes in really cool bottles that have a flip top cap that stays attatched to the bottle. I buy these all the time because I brew my own beer at home, and I reuse the Grolsch bottles for my beer instead of using regular bottle caps which are a pain.

thanks everyone!

Ilian

Inscrit
14 Fev 2006
Waar zijn de wallen?
Ik wil graag 5 gram van de sterkste hasj die jullie verkopen
ik ben zo stoned als een ei

G

Invité
Brewmaster a dit:
They might sell them the same way over there, but on this side of the pond, Grolsch comes in really cool bottles that have a flip top cap that stays attatched to the bottle.

Beugelfles ;) (beugel=brace and then ofcourse fles=bottle)

G

Invité
Minigun_Fiend a dit:
I only know Slagroomtaart :oops:

Hahaha that's a really hard one.
One time there were some English dudes fishing here in Holland (smoking about 300 euro's worth of ganja in 1,5 week) and we learned them stroopwafel, really funny.

One guy they called knobbie or knob cheese, so me and a friend were wondering what it meant... Sometimes it's bad wanting to know everything :mrgreen:

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I now know that nog beter means "much better"
I'm always amazed at when languages are really similar. "nog beter" is "much better" in english and "noch besser" in german. Except for the "much" we are using kind of the same words. In some cases I can understand the meaning of dutch when I read it (yet not when listening to it) though if I was living n the north of germany I'd be able to understand a lot more dutch, even if spoken. I however can understand almost all of the swiss dialect, which would be really hard for dutch people to understand. Language flows, it's nothing like the borders we draw on our political maps. Language defines much more our home and than we think it does. btw I was put in this philosophical mode by a swiss/french invention - kübler absinthe, the first legal la bleue of the val de travers. And I don't even know how "nog beter" would be translated to french (which is spoken only in the Val de Travers of Switzerland, where this drink is coming from)

phalaris

Inscrit
7 Mai 2005
Ha ! we live in a small world after all..

The Grolsch brewery is located about 2000 metres from my home.
I think it is a nice beer indeed... In this part of the country (east) there is some light taboo on likeing other beers, for expample Heineken or Amstel beer. A few years ago when I was living on university campus, there was even the joke about Heineken being the washing water of the Grolsch brewery :)

btw, when you're overseas this coming year you can bring home some of the real Grolsch bottles: they are brown and the caps are made of porcelain.

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Oooooooh, porcelain. Fancy fancy

I'm with you on the Heineken and Amstel. I've had a grudge against heineken since I got married a year and a half ago. We got hitched on the Island of Saint Lucia in the west Indies. It was beautiful and the only down side was that there were only 3 beers on the whole island, Bud Lite ( crap ), the local beer Piton ( crap ), and heineken ( fancy crap ).

As you can tell, I'm a beer snob.

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
pff u should drink Bavaria :D
I worked there for 9 months hehe they were right around the corner of my old home

alice

Inscrit
9 Juil 2003
holland is great but the dutch language... AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

alice

WaseFraKa

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
26 Sept 2005
tryptonaut a dit:
I now know that nog beter means "much better"
I'm always amazed at when languages are really similar. "nog beter" is "much better" in english and "noch besser" in german.

actually "noch besser" is "even better" in english and not "much better"...."much better" is "viel besser" in german

ok i'm out