Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

religious

SkunkPower

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
14 Déc 2005
Out of curiosity I was wondering how many people here who smoke are religious? So let's have it, are you believer? Do you practice/go to church? What religion are you?

I'd have to say I'm christian but I incorporate non-christian views into my beliefs. I do not go to church on a regular basis, infact it's rare if I do at all. I consider myself more of a spiritual person. I prefer to thing about these things myself rather than participate in conformed religion.

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Since a kid I had a problem with the paradox that there are soo many different christian churches who all claim to have the one and only truth. I've visited many different churches untill I was 22 years old, then mushrooms came around and gave my religious life a new impulse.

What the mushroom trip brought me, wa exacty what I had been looking for untill then. This caused a schizophreniclike response in my psyche:'how can something that is illegal, feel so fucking good? It MUST be bad, it MUST be an illuision.'. It took me almost ten years untill I was able to accept this.

I'm still very interested in the christian religion but than from a rebel point of view. When the Nag Hammadi library came out, I pre-ordered it so I was one of the first that could read these unknown gospels.

I'm now at a stage where I am convined that Jesus has not even existed. It is a known fact that the story of Jesus as is displayed in the bible, is shamelessly stolen from the pagan cultures preceeding christianity. Everything like raising Lazarus from the dead (happened 2000 years before that event with a guy called El Azarus), changing wine into water, dying at the cross, resurrection after three days and much more, are all stories that christianity stole from ancient traditions. The Vatican has done all they could to remove the evidence but recently, a lot of good information is coming into the world. Very recently, the Judas gospels which the church banned from the bible way way back in history.

So I really tried to be a christian but it has never been able to convince me. And now that the fundamentals of christianity, the unique story of Jesus has been shown for what it is: a stolen story from other religions, I'm completely done with christianity. And don't get me started about the Vatican ;)

I dont want to offend anyone with this, this is just my personal opinion.

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
well I completely agree on every aspect of HC's opinion
I couldn't have explained my thoughts about it better
I do believe that theres something outthere.. an energy a spirit .. something
but not a god or a heaven or hell.. I find that the biggest nonsense
but its great for people to find hope in god ... to live on
u gotta believe in something right ?

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
The only religion I can accept is Buddhism. I am not a Buddhist myself, but I like the concept of not trying to convince other people. Buddhism to me seems like the "old man" who sits back, relaxes and thinks "well, let all the young folks do their stuff and one day they'll see I was right". Of course, like every other religion, they also have tendencies where they become narrow-minded (just read Strassman's book "DMT the spirit molecule" to see how narrow-minded Buddhist communities can be...).

Whatever, I think I am a spiritual person, but I try not to fall for any dogmatic beliefs. Everything is possible, follow the way that your "heart" tells you. I'm trying to make sense of all the spiritual things that have happened to me while I was tripping - as for now I can't really make sense of it. The only thing I really started to believe in is the concept of Karma: Everything you do affects your life and your feelings even if you don't notice a direct connection.

G

Invité
I will post a larger reply when I get back home from work, but have to react on the Budhism part.

Budhism is a way of life, not a religion ;)

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I think one can make a valuable distinction between mysticism and religion. Mysticism is personal, non-communicable through words, non-dogmatic, etc, while religion is public, communicable and dogmatic. I think every great prophet (jesus, buddha, krishna, mohammed, moses, etc.) is a mystic of some form. The followers then fuck things up by sticking to the words that only express a feeling, not a law. I consider myself religious in the sense that I believe in a spiritual being. But I do not wish to conform to any religious law that says "Thou shalt not do this, or thou shalt burn in hell for ever more." I guess I'm a firm believer in the freedom of choice for everybody. My choices are based on what I perceive as right or good, not on someone elses prescription. What I perceive as right, however, is formed by my experience, and in this way psychedelics constitute a part of my morality.

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Relgion....

Problems with definitions:

The English word "religion" is derived from the Middle English "religioun" which came from the Old French "religion." It may have been originally derived from the Latin word "religo" which means "good faith," "ritual," and other similar meanings. Or it may have come from the Latin "religãre" which means "to tie fast."

Defining the word "religion" is fraught with difficulty. All of the definitions that we have encountered contain at least one deficiency:
bullet Some exclude beliefs and practices that many people passionately defend as religious. For example, their definition might include belief in a personal deity or some supernatural entities. This excludes such non-theistic religions as Buddhism and religious Satanism which have no such belief.
bullet Some definitions equate "religion" with "Christianity," and thus define two out of every three humans in the world as non-religious.
bullet Some definitions are so broadly written that they include beliefs and areas of study that most people do not regard as religious. For example, David Edward's definition would seem to include cosmology and ecology within his definition of religion -- fields of investigation that most people regard to be a scientific studies and non-religious in nature.
bullet Some define "religion" in terms of "the sacred" and/or "the spiritual," and thus necessitate the creation of two more definitions.
bullet Sometimes, definitions of "religion" contain more than one deficiency.

horizontal rule
Our compromise definition:

This website's essays use a very broad definition of religion: "Religion is any specific system of belief about deity, often involving rituals, a code of ethics, a philosophy of life, and a worldview." (A worldview is a set of basic, foundational beliefs concerning deity, humanity and the rest of the universe.) Thus we would consider Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Native American Spirituality, and Neopaganism to be religions. We also include Agnosticism, Atheism, Humanism, Ethical Culture etc. as religions, because they also contain a "belief about deity" -- their belief is that they do not know whether a deity exists, or they have no knowledge of God, or they sincerely believe that God does not exist.

horizontal rule
Dictionary definitions:

Dictionaries have made many attempts to define the word religion:

1. Barns & Noble (Cambridge) Encyclopedia (1990):
"...no single definition will suffice to encompass the varied sets of traditions, practices, and ideas which constitute different religions."
2. The Concise Oxford Dictionary (1990):
"Human recognition of superhuman controlling power and especially of a personal God entitled to obedience" That definition would not consider some Buddhist sects as religions. Many Unitarian Universalists are excluded by this description. Strictly interpreted, it would also reject polytheistic religions, since it refers to "a" personal God."
3. Webster's New World Dictionary (Third College Edition):
"any specific system of belief and worship, often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy." This definition would exclude religions that do not engage in worship. It implies that there are two important components to religion:
bullet one's belief and worship in a deity or deities
bullet one's ethical behavior towards other persons

This dual nature of religion is expressed clearly in the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) in Matthew 22:36-39:

"Teacher, what is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

4. Qumran Bet, "A Community Striving to Come to the Pure Essence of the Worship of YHWH," cites definitions from an unknown dictionary: "religion (ri-lij'[uh]n) n.
1. The beliefs, attitudes, emotions, behavior, etc., constituting man's relationship with the powers and principles of the universe, especially with a deity or deities; also, any particular system of such beliefs, attitudes, etc.
2. An essential part or a practical test of the spiritual life.
3. An object of conscientious devotion or scrupulous care: e.g. His work is a religion to him.
4. Obs. Religious practice or belief." 1
5. An organized system of belief that generally seeks to understand purpose, meaning, goals, and methods of spiritual things. These spiritual things can be God, people in relation to God, salvation, after life, purpose of life, order of the cosmos, etc.

;)

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
lol Hc .. :p
i`m not even gonna read all that hehe

G

Invité
It's interesting,
I still think 90% of the population has absolutely no idea whatsoever about what religion really is
(that includes me, I just have my own perception).
I went to church till I was 18 and when I was a kid a had the idea that there might be a god and that I believed in it, but when I got older I felt more and more that this wasn't it. And I came in contact with psychedelics...

Ok ok, you've read this story before, it's a lot like HC's story (so this way I don't have to type all the paradoxes :mrgreen:)

Only I haven't read the Nag Hammadi yet, but I'm deffinately interested.
I have seen the docu of the gospel of Judas and I want to know more.
'cause for years and years I've been looking for more information about how christianity was founded and how it all sticks together.

Cyproxicus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
5 Jan 2006
"You take the blue pill, and you wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill; you stay in Wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole goes." Just pick the one you believe to be right. No need to support ur choice by arguments.

Just tell me what's the meaning of life, ok?!
(that's 44 rite? :D)

[off-topic]
on skunkpower:
I'm christian = I incorporate non-christian views + I do not go to church + ... rather than participate in conformed religion

Rite. Smoke on.
[/off-topic]

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
Budhism is a way of life, not a religion
Well, yes... that's probably what makes it more acceptable than religion. No missionaries, no strict dogma.
However usually Buddhism is said to be one of the big religions - that's just how it is usually conceived.

Viaticus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
6 Juil 2005
Cyproxicus a dit:
Just tell me what's the meaning of life, ok?!
(that's 44 rite? :D)

Nope, it's 42. :wink:

I too have studied the history of christianity and pretty much consider it as a interesting cultural-historical phenomenon. Literal interpretation of the bible is something I just cannot understand. The text has passed through so many translations, biased interpretations and so forth during the course of history, that it should be impossible to consider it an accurate reproduction of the things spoken or written down two millenias ago.

I can't say I'm a member of any particular religion, one reason propably being my natural scepticism. But if I happen to find god, I'll be sure to tell you.