Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

question about DMT experience

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
well, so i didn't try DMT yet, but i wanted to ask something about it nevertheless. i heard in a youtube video terrence mc kenna telling something about his own DMT experiences and i think somewhere he said something like "...whatever happens don't give in to astonishment..."..

now i have been thinking a little bit about this and wondered whether it was really so good what he said. because i think at first i didn't really question it.. but later i found that idea somehow more than questionable.
made me think about right/wrong and good/bad astonishment. but still in spite of never having tried DMT i had the thought that it could possibly maybe even somehow be wrong not to give in to astonishment... maybe it means if you give in to astonishment then you should totally give in or so...?? i mean maybe from the feeling it would be a bit like surrendering to god???
hmmm... any thoughts??? people who have tried DMT, but also other people can answer if they like to. thanks for reading!!

peace

Lotre

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
30 Nov 2011
I don't know why and in which particular context he said that. Maybe you have always the choice (or maybe it is dose dependant), but at some point giving in to "something" may be a good thing.

purewill

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
21 Nov 2013
Not sure if this helps or not, but the Yaqui Don Juan would often tell his apprentices that to lose oneself in any experience invites real danger to the user. Mind you his accounts involve real danger, so take it with a grain of salt. I realize this is going to sound a little silly but I have a friend who legitimately felt that he was stuck in purgatory when he tried cannabis with me. Mostly because he kept forgetting what he was doing every 10 minutes (ah... I remember those days...) It couldn't have helped that we were watching the never ending story at the time... Anyway, if you let yourself get swept up in an idea (good or bad) you may become a victim of your own mental trappings. I too have yet to try dmt, but from what I hear the hallucinations are quite vivid and intense. On the flip side Terrance McKenna seems to be guiding you down a path in his videos, so he may simply be trying to get you to maintain attention on his program.

Monad

Inscrit
15 Sept 2012
I think McKenna meant to not waste time with fear or awe, cause the DMT experience is so quick that you if you loose time with useless thoughts, you'll miss most of the experience. The more you do DMT and the more you should learn how to navigate that realm... It's like scuba diving, the more you do it and the more you learn how to waste the least oxygen.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
@monad yeah... of course... i guess it probably sounds logical that it would be stupid to waste time with useless thoughts. hmm however i don't think fear is really very comparable with awe... but maybe i have to think a little bit more about it yet. and as i already said i didn't try DMT myself yet, but from what i heard and read scuba diving seems more like a sunday afternoon walk compared to a DMT experience...and lol well, i don't really know... something makes me think that it could be wrong to not be astonished. but it has to be honest or true astonishment or so... not sure what's a good way of saying that? maybe it means that a lot of western culture has become so monotonous or so in some sense with a too cold perspective on the world and themselves ...

@purewill maybe losing yourself isn't really the same like surrendering to god??? (think of the idea of ego-death) well yeah of course i would say it's important to do DMT very responsibly. it's like that with all psychedelics, especially the very strong ones. to be careful, but also not too careful in the sense of overly paranoid/fearful or so. hm and lol yeah the never ending story is quite an intense story, but unfortunately i don't remember a lot of it right now...
also it's logical that mental trappings can be experienced when taking psychedelics and it's then about how well you know yourself and can handle yourself in order to really see the mental trapping and overcome it.

@lotre hmm lol... giving in to "something"?? what???? i would suggest it could be good to give in to for instance the "real god" instead of something rather random or so??? not totally sure lol... how fucked up the DMT world is...??

peace

Monad

Inscrit
15 Sept 2012
I said fear and awe just to give a wide spectrum of sensations, the DMT experience can vary a lot from person to person. The scuba diving thing was just a wild comparison, I know DMT can be much more extreme... Although, after a while you use it, you get less and less adrenaline form it... A bit like base jumping :lol: I think astonishment is good for the first experiences, but after a while you should learn to interact with what you are viewing... Like the ayahuasca shamans learn how to talk with the spirits, we should do the same with the DMT entities.

startrek

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
3 Jan 2014
I've listened to many of McKenna's talks including the one I think you're referring to. He said "don't give in to astonishment" in the context of in-trip communication. He was convinced that the "DMT beings" or "machine elves" were trying to communicate specific knowledge to the voyager, and that if you don't focus on the message, you'll never learn to comprehend it. I did not get the impression at all that he believed there was danger, only that you'd be wasting a valuable learning opportunity if you allow your attention to wander.

Finarfin

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Juil 2013
Monad a dit:
I I think astonishment is good for the first experiences, but after a while you should learn to interact with what you are viewing... Like the ayahuasca shamans learn how to talk with the spirits, we should do the same with the DMT entities.

And here we enter into the spirit or entities realm.
Mckenna talked about entities and machine elf,s and stuff like that. Shamans all over the world talk to spirits.
People who take ayahuasca and psychedelics report coming into contact with entities or spirits.
This spirit or entity phenomena brings up questions. What are these entities? how do you approach them?
Are there also bad or evil entities or spirits? Some people may say they don,t believe in spirits. They may say it,s all in your head.

Mckenna went on a search for ayahuasca because the DMT experience was to fast. Because ayahuasca had a longer duration McKenna thought that if he could find ayahuasca he could get more information out of the experience.

badilo

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2013
i dont think its possible to choose to be astonished or not, its an automatic response and with dmt its nearly completely different every time so there is no way to expect what your about to experience. i allways get an adrenaline rush and anxiety right before dmt and normally for the first few seconds of the trip because of that diving into the unknown feeling but that normally vanishes as soon everything slows down. @finarfin no one can tell you what entities are but i dont believe that the dmt world is anything more than your brain flooded with dmt, asking how to approach entities doesnt make any sence to me because when your tripping and you see an entitie it consumes all of my attention. from what i have seen its nothing like what other people have wrote about, its hard to explain but here's an example the last time i tripped things where to much so i moved away from my mates and sat on the couch then the middle of the couch started to look like a mouth and it was moving, it didnt make any noise but i could understand the message anyway after some time it started displaying these colorfull waves of energy and what looked like water also the tv had jagged teeth spining around it but the couch asured me it was cool, lots of other dmt colors and fractals where going on at that time.i have seen another entitie but that one scared me a lot and made me think about stopping dmt. im not sure if any of that made sence but i was on a roll

startrek

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
3 Jan 2014
badilo a dit:
with dmt its nearly completely different every time so there is no way to expect what your about to experience.

I would think that after doing DMT as many times as McKenna did—thousands? tens of thousands?—some things began to repeat themselves, patterns emerged, and he could sometimes anticipate what the experience would be like.

badilo

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2013
well i have not had dmt thousands of times so i can only speculate but there are some recurring theme's in my trips, i cant see myself ever being able to know whats about to happen with dmt

inverted

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
2 Fev 2014
Badilo, Hello im in Ayrshire Scotland. Seeking a skilled co-pilot or some guidance/advice on how to begin. "first time traveller"

Thank you friend

inverted

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
2 Fev 2014
Badilo, Hello im in Ayrshire Scotland. Seeking a skilled co-pilot or some guidance/advice on how to begin. "first time traveller"

Thank you friend