Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Ott: Mimosa hostilis is active by itself

izmar

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
18 Déc 2004
Did anyone ever try a Mimosa hostilis cold water infusion, as proposed by Ott? It's a preparation that involves no other plants. The exact psychopharmacology is not yet clear. We know 5-MeO-DMT is an MAOI, but in the amounts present it is simply too weak to potentiate all the N,N-DMT in the rootbark. 5-MeO-DMT being an MAOI is one of the leads though, and the other lead is the possibility of stimulated endogenous MAOI production as a result of (one of) the compounds in Mimosa hostilis.

There's some info about it here on Erowid:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mimosa/mimosa_info2.shtml

I'm really curious about this preparation and hope to try it within the next few weeks.

skoeip

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
19 Nov 2004
izmar a dit:
We know 5-MeO-DMT is an MAOI

I didnt know that, hell I still dont know that for sure, wat are your sources? where did you read that 5-meo-dmt is a maoi?

izmar

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
18 Déc 2004
I'm not sure about the 5-MeO-DMT being an MAOI, but I've heard it from several sources now (informal conversations, bits I've remembered from reading up about ayahuasca and DMT plants). All of these sources also mentioned the weakness and practical uselessness of the MAOI activity of 5-MeO-DMT.

I don't know the source of this source's source, but it might be useful anyway:
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=169

I guess the maybe-MAOI activity of 5-MeO-DMT has been coined by Ott, since he's the one who's published so much information after doing extensive experiments (still need to read Ayahuasca Analogues, I see recipes and quotes from this book in many books and websites)

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
From a batch of mimosa that would have given a strong experience at 15g combined with an maoi; I experienced a fairly light trip with 35g (I think) worth of juice without an maoi. It was not a cold water extraction but rather the result of multiple boils. Considering how cheap syrian rue is; it's quite wasteful.

Mimosa Hostilis does not contain 5-MeO-DMT

izmar

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
18 Déc 2004
I think Ott says that it needs to be made with cold water...

As to 5-MeO-DMT in Mimosa hostilis, I made a mixup indeed.

But it's strange: Raetsch encyclopedia does not mention 5-MeO-DMT, but it doesn't say it's not in there. Here are two links that say it's in there, in the bark (doesn't mention it for rootbark):

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/var019.htm
http://users.lycaeum.org/~fing/hoasca/table4b.html

Look for Mimosa tenuiflora as well as Mimosa hostilis, as they are the very same species.

Raetsch does mention, however, the presence of beta-carbolines in M. hostilis/M. tenuiflora:

"The bark contains large amounts of calcium oxalate crystals and a great deal of starch and tannins (Anton et al. 1993), as well as small quantities of alkaloids, of which N,N-DMT, 5-hydroxytryptamine, and beta-carbolines have been identified (Lara Ochoa and Marquez Alonso 1996, 99*; Meckes-Lozoya et al. 1990)."

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Not true.

With a cold water extraction of mimosa, you avoid pulling out a lot of tannins and carbolides which give the juice that awful flavor but you can still get all the dmt.

Some people have argued that it's these carbolides that make the DMT active when injested orally. So if a cold water extraction works on it's own, there's no reason it wouldn't work with juice from boiled bark.

izmar

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
18 Déc 2004
I think I was still modifying my already posted reply while you posted yours...

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
your second link says this:

* Mimosa hostilis [DMT,r]
- N,N-DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE Plant, NIGERINE Plant
- DMT root 0.57% (propably fresh (=wet) material)
* Mimosa scabrella [DMT,b]
* Mimosa tenuiflora [DMT,5MD,b]

that tenuiflora contains 5-MeO-DMT but not hostilis. The first link is the only place I have ever heard mention 5-MeO being contained in m. hostilis.

izmar

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
18 Déc 2004
Mimosa hostilis is also known as Mimosa tenuiflora (C. Raetsch 2005, p. 362, Synonyms)

Either way, 5-MeO-DMT put aside, that a cold water infusion from M. hostilis/M. tenuiflora gives a long-lasting (+/- 2h) DMT experience is an interesting issue in ethnobotany. It is the only highly effective method of oral DMT ingestion that I know of that requires only one plant source and the preparation of it seems less complex than any aya-, ana- or pharmahuasca.