Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Niece is on Lithium, in hospital.

IamYou

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Fev 2012
Hey everybody. I just received a call from my brother telling me my niece is back in the mental hospital. She is 14 years old and has been on various anti-depressants and mood stabilizers for as long as I can recall. She has also been placed into institutions many times. They put her on these meds because she often has tantrums. Not regular kid tantrums, but ultra violent, demonic possession type tantrums. This has my family extremely concerned. She is at the age now where she is physically bigger and stronger than her mother and she can also legally be put away, possibly forever if this keeps happening. For a little background, my brother is not her bioligical father. He legally adopted her when he married her mother. The biogical father struggled with heroin addiction and I think was using at the time of conception. I wonder if this has affected my niece, or is this real mental illness? Or have the meds exacerbated or even caused the illness to begin with? When I first heard she was put on lithium it broke my heart. I know adults who have been on lithium that are no longer the same people. It is such a heavy duty drug..a friggin metal actually! Should CHILDREN be on it??? I posted this because we have an interest in psychoactives and I would love to hear some opinions. My family is typical American, believe every doctor...because hey...they're doctors they must be right???? Wrong! My niece is a good kid but I feel we're losing her. Any thoughts or questions?

ararat

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
sorry to hear that!
I don't think that her father using heroin at the time of conception caused this... maybe it was more so the condition which made him take heroin in the first place.

either way I think psychopharma is utter bullshit. it may be helpful to calm down for the moment, but it is by far no solution. I don't know what I would do in their situation, but just making her silent with strong drugs can't be the right way.. I'd probably try everything, from homeopathy*, going to various shamans, tibetan, peruvian or wherever they are from. maybe "possessed" isn't such a bad word for this condition after all, and of all people shamans probably know best how to handle bad spirits. might sound ridiculous, but honestly, the viewpoint of western psychiatry is no less ridiculous, even more so. treating people as if they were machines with chemical defects. thinking about it, going to western psychiatries is the last thing I'd do.

*my homeopath told me of a patient who was in a friendly delirium, he didn't really respond to much and seemed very absent, dreamy, but friendly. he then gave him a preparation from fly agaric and after a week or even less he "came back", the delirium completely gone. maybe in her case she'll need something like a datura preparation, but obviously I'm no doctor, just thinking loudly.

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
of all treatments available, western medicine aka modern medicine, is just that. it is the least established, and least tested form of medicine that humanity has ever seen. why we cling to it so much baffles me.

generations ago, we were mislead by our "leaders" into the "witch" hunts, which killed nearly all of the knowledgeable herbalists in our reach. pharmaceuticals now are back at square one. we have all the tools, and no knowledge of how to use them. big pharma (and other power players) have essentially killed the architect, and are now trying to create a house "freehand". only the free-hands looks more like beakers, distillers and hotplates - very far removed from nature, the place that illness originates... :confused:

IamYou

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Fev 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. Your ideas don't sound ridiculous to me at all. Spot on in fact. But how to convince my Americanized family to try an alternative route is the tough bit. They would be so closed minded and frightened by these ideas that it would fail before the attempt was made. Another thing is, these "treatments" she is on don't even work in the short term for her! If lithium hasn't worked, what the hell are they going to through in her next? I'm sure they'll dope her up in the hospital to the point of drooling then send her home until it happens again. Makes me sick.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
give it a try. she's been suffering for years, and western psychiatry didn't help, nothing speaks against trying something different for a change.. when I and my cousin had a tumor our mums tried everything too... as absurd as it sometimes was. it's ridiculous to let preconceived notions of what helps and what does not to hinder you to try something even if it might help, especially in severe cases.

maybe it would help if you didn't have such an image of their parents as overly closed minded, it probably just helps to create the situation that you lament. of course, if they are evangelicals who think that homeopaths and shamans are basically in the service of satan, it might be harder. but I found that even these people are open to try new things.

IamYou

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Fev 2012
Thanks man. I just talked to my brother. Basically she will be in the hospital for a brief period right now, and if one of these episodes occurs again the state will assume custody of her for anywhere from 90 days to a year. My niece was told this also. She can be a bit dramatic and if any of this is teenage attention seeking, maybe her knowing she can be put away long term will help. My brother said she is off the lithium now but on a cocktail of other meds. He didn't even know which ones because he is just assuming these people know what's best.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
man wtf is that shit... that sounds almost like cruelty to animals... why don't you just talk to her or find someone who "can" talk to her?? maybe she just needs someone to talk to or someone who really listens to her...
apart from that i would say better try "life friendly" things to help, like others here said. another idea maybe would be
something like music therapy or so. does she have friends?? maybe someone who can understand what could be
going on inside her. maybe she experienced something in the past based on extreme violence that she keeps
re-experiencing for some reason.
so the question is also whether something was done to her or so in the past...
i think the consequence of something like that could well be a false sense of self. maybe that's what you or someone from her family could do as you probably know her best. to find out how her sense of self evolved or so. maybe somewhere in that the answer can be found? maybe investigate whether the parents have treated the child in inhumane ways. because that
would be the most logical reason for the seemingly supernatural anger towards the parents. or can you see towards who
especially the anger seems to be directed or so???
basically it's all energy and maybe for some reason your niece has some energy in her that she seemingly can't transform properly or so and needs to let it out in some way???

btw i doubt that your niece was given lithium, because i read on wikipedia that it can lead to heavy chemical burns.
it also said "Trace amounts of lithium are present in all organisms. The element serves no apparent vital biological function, since animals and plants survive in good health without it. Nonvital functions have not been ruled out. The lithium ion Li+ administered as any of several lithium salts has proved to be useful as a mood-stabilizing drug due to neurological effects of the ion in the human body."

and no i don't really think that children should be given mood-stabilizing drugs nor even any drugs at all. because as i understand it, it's a very important fact that with children the brain is still in development.
it's like it could disturb the natural balance or so in the stages of natural unfoldment.

peace

IamYou

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Fev 2012
Brain you have some good thoughts on this for sure. Thanks for posting. She was taken off all medication and released shortly after the state took custody of her. Two days ago she was staying at her mothers' house and she punched her mother in the face! she was freaking out big time. Now she is back in the hospital. I think it's definitely am identity crisis. There are several factors at work. When she was born, her biological father wasn't around and her mother's family coddled her and made her believe she was a little superstar. Now that she is a teenager and engaging with peers she it's almost like she can't adjust to being another kid in the social mix. She is also overweight and I'm sure that is very difficult for her as an adolescent. One interesting factor is she has never had these freakout sessions around my brother or anyone on my side of the family. It's always when she is with her mother. That seems like it could be an attention seeking move. But acting out with extreme violence??? That surpasses normal teenage angst. Her mother could press charges at this point. I have to logout now but I really do appreciate the input.