Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

New Synthetic Marijuana Seized by Feds in Philadelphia

ImTrippingStupid

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
21 Jan 2008
By Peter Mucha
Inquirer Staff Writer

Federal agents are cracking down on imports of a synthetic marijuana that has started appearing in the Philadelpha area.

It is not illegal to possess the substance in any state, but officials say Food and Drug Adminstration regulations bar its import and sale because it is not a tested and approved drug.

So far, 85 parcels, arriving from Amsterdam at a UPS facility at Philadelphia International Airport, have been detained then seized after tests proved positive for the drug, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The latest seizures were on Tuesday, after a CPB lab in Georgia confirmed that two parcels discovered on Jan. 6 contained JWH-018, a synthetic cannabinoid. The seizures marked a first for the agency's Philadelphia region.

Read More Here http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... 77007.html

spice

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
"• No Learning from Drug Mistakes. In testimony before the Institute of Medicine, Public Citizen Health Research Group director Sidney M. Wolfe, MD, cited 13 instances of drug approvals which either should not have been approved (including Crestor, Rezulin, and others), or should have been restricted (Accutane and others) or withdrawn (Baycol, Seldane, and others) earlier than they were. "

"• Tobacco Failures. Five companies illegally market and promote laser treatment for smoking cessation. Public Citizen last week petitioned the FDA to crack down on those companies, since the FDA hasn’t approved the device and there’s no evidence the treatment works. Consumers who are convinced to pay up to $399 for laser treatment may be diverted from real programs that work, such as nicotine gum or patches—thus fewer smokers will be helped to quit. And, though it had essentially removed nicotine-containing beverages from the market in 2002, those drinks have reappeared. Just this month, NICLite, which the company breathlessly says is the “World’s only Nicotine Replacement Drink!,” and that it is “classified as a Dietary Supplement by the FDA,” began a marketing campaign. According to Wolfe, either the company is lying about the status of these products or the FDA inexplicably reversed itself and declared that they can legally be sold as dietary supplements. Either way, it represents a failure of the FDA to enforce the law of the land.

FDA failures on the food side:

Obesity. Over the past three decades, rates of obesity have doubled in young children and adults, and tripled in teenagers. In 2003, then-Commissioner Mark B. McClellan declared FDA’s intention to “confront the obesity epidemic ... to help consumers lead healthier lives through better nutrition.” Three years later, according to CSPI, the agency has done essentially nothing. Even with a food that’s a major contributor to obesity—soda—FDA has declined to place health notices on cans and bottles, require added sugars to be listed separately on labels, or to require multi-serving containers to list the number of calories for the whole container.

• Heart Disease. One of the most potent promoters of heart disease is the trans fat in partially hydrogenated oil. Though after a 10-year slog the FDA finally required trans fat to be listed on nutrition labels—spurring some manufacturers to abandon the oil—the FDA has done nothing to get restaurants to disclose or eliminate it. In 2004 CSPI petitioned the agency to ban partially hydrogenated oil and, until such a ban, to require disclosure in restaurants, but the FDA has not acted. The result: thousands of unnecessary premature deaths every year.

• High Blood Pressure. Perhaps the single most harmful substance in the food supply gets zero attention from the FDA—sodium chloride, or salt. CSPI and the American Medical Association want FDA to revoke the “Generally Regarded as Safe” status of salt and to treat it as a food additive, subject to reasonable upper limits in packaged foods. In 2004, the head of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute estimated that cutting the sodium content of the food supply in half would save 150,000 lives per year.

• Fraudulent Labels. Of 11,000 employees, the FDA tasks a grand total of four people at headquarters to police food labels. Thus, supermarket shelves are graced with carrot cake virtually without carrots, fruitless “fruit snacks” made with high fructose corn syrup, “whole wheat” products with a lot of white flour, and so on. CSPI says the most significant FDA labeling initiative in recent years was an industry-written initiative to let manufacturers place misleading “qualified health claims” on food labels. FDA’s own research found that the program confused consumers, but the program, championed by food companies, continues.

• Food Safety. Faced with the emergence of dangerous chemicals (such as mercury or acrylamide) in food, the FDA takes years before acting—and even then, its response is typically tepid. Faced with outbreaks of bacterial pathogens in food, FDA is similarly nonresponsive: Salmonella in eggs could be all but eliminated with finalized on-farm regulations to control the hazard, but those have been delayed for years. Shellfish contaminated with deadly Vibrio vulnificus kill 20 or so people every summer, but FDA relies on an industry-funded partnership with state governments to ensure shellfish safety.

“A scrappy nonprofit like CSPI, with one litigator on staff, forced labeling changes from major companies like Tropicana, Frito-Lay, and Pinnacle Foods,” said Jacobson. “Yet when we hand the FDA neatly wrapped complaints on a silver platter, it just ignores them.”

• Industry Capture. The FDA often relies on advisory committees made up of outside experts to offer science-based advice, particularly on approvals of drugs and medical devices. But those panels often include—and are sometimes dominated by—scientists or researchers who have direct financial relationships with the companies whose products are under scrutiny. In recent years, FDA advisory committees evaluating antihypertensives, various diabetes drugs, and the pediatric use of anti-depressants, have all included industry-funded scientists. On one committee, 10 of 32 panelists investigating the controversial painkillers known as COX-2 inhibitors, including Vioxx, had ties to the makers of those drugs.

This is in rebuttal to the FDA's claim that the govt seized these substances because they weren't approved.

As if those whores were trustworthy

ImTrippingStupid

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
21 Jan 2008
Yeah for real wtf is that shit about. The government comes up with the most retarded excuses for why they do shit. I'm wondering what they will go after next.

spice

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
the gist-

(CNN) -- The diabetes drug Avandia is linked with tens of thousands of heart attacks, and drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline knew of the risks for years but worked to keep them from the public, according to a Senate committee report released Saturday.

The 334-page report by the Senate Finance Committee also criticized the Food and Drug Administration, saying that the federal agency that regulates food, tobacco and medications overlooked or overrode safety concerns found by its staff.

"Americans have a right to know there are serious health risks associated with Avandia and GlaxoSmithKline had a responsibility to tell them," said U.S. Senator Max Baucus, a Democrat and committee chairman. "Patients trust drug companies with their health and their lives and GlaxoSmithKline abused that trust."

The bipartisan report also was signed by Sen. Chuck Grassley, the top-ranking Republican on the committee.

GlaxoSmithKline rejected any assertions Saturday that the drug is not safe.

"We disagree with the conclusions in the report," company spokeswoman Nancy Pekarek told CNN. "The FDA had reviewed the data and concluded that the drug should be on the market."

you see what their fallback response is?

'The FDA approved it, and that's all we care to say'

FDA has GOT TO GO

Big Pharma is REALLY evil

ImTrippingStupid

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
21 Jan 2008
spice a dit:
FDA has GOT TO GO

Big Pharma is REALLY evil

How much money you think politicians get in kickbacks/bribes/investments from big Pharmaceutical companies, to look the other way? They have to be cashing in. This like this reminds me of the story line of Alan Moore's V For Vendetta. Tho in the movie they were into manufacturing disease and cashing in on the cure. But I'm pretty sure that has already happened. We all know that the FDA won't approve anything that they themselves can't control or can't make profits from.

Honestly, I think if the FDA & the Federal government actually had a brain in their head they might think about the what ifs when the Chinese fuck up on certain things & we have casualties. I think that if the government were a bit more open minded we could @ least be proud to say that their could @ least be quality standards. Figure with any Pharmaceutical company there are a vast number of rules & regulations that companies have to follow namely because of the alphabet crew.

I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry. I didn't work with drugs but the company I worked for did handle things that drugs get contained in. I know a lot of the BS that just the Specialty companies have to put up with for quality control. Its a lot of red tape, but its to ensure the quality of the product as well as the reputation of the company. What the government needs to realize is this isn't going to stop. People have had a desire to get fucked up and or explore themselves since the dawn of humanity I would imagine. It seems to me to be innate, carnal, or subliminal desire at least. I'm pretty sure most would agree it began with the shaman. Difference between now and then is the mystics & the spirit medicine has been removed. In place in the world today we have extracts & derivatives of those extracts. Shamans have been doing this for who knows how long. The only difference when a pharmaceutical company does it besides the profit margin they put in place, we also come up with the issues of side effects & etc whereas the potions & brews of the shaman depending on the mixture might not be so damaging.

By this i mean for every plant in the kingdom there are several alkaloids for each species. Some of these secondary chemicals probably help to counteract the medicine so its not so damaging to the body. But science takes exact molecules & discards of the waste. Not to much in society is really direct from the earth anymore unless your eating organic food maybe. We as a society are trained to think milk comes from stores as does meat. I was fortunate to grow up in a farming community, but I remember meeting a full grown adult that never saw a cow & didn't even know milk came from a cow. A lot of this applies to drugs & other chemicals and things we use on a daily basis.

We have become a society that doesn't live off the earth so much as we do capitalism. In this lays the real problem which I think pretty much sums it up for everything. Greed. That & control. As I see it the aristocracy never wanted to give us as much rights & education as it is. Why else were we held back so long just to learn to read and write? Can't control the educated & enlightened. For they are free thinkers. They test the boundaries. I see it as we are still slaves. The only thing thats changed between them whipping our backs is taxing the fuck out of us for a govt. thats out of control itself during the transition of us just being slaves into the Economic slaves. It's still the proletariat versus the bourgeoisie.

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
spice man, your on a roll.
Killin this topic, i wish i had time to jump in, but im a bit busy at the moment. I have OH so much to say about the fda..

mabey ill wright a poem about it. :lol:
i think i will.

EDIT: on the OT, tis ashame, the are finally catching on to the jwh/spice shit. Ive had some good times with that stuff.
lucky for me i just moved out of the US, and im in the UK now, where its much more accessible by mail. :D

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
spice a dit:
Hell, trick, UK is growers paradise.....where you at now?

you dont have to tell ME that :D

kings lynn :lol: