Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

my growkit smels like old cheese

mrvn

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Oct 2007
Hello , after my 4th flush i soaked my growkit and let the water out and now it smels like old cheese and not like shrooms. Could this be an infection? There should be fruit in 3-4 days from now can i still eat them? Or just get rid of my growkit and try something else. I saw new growkits online whit agar culture. Anyone tried these jet? Mrvn

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
I would throw it away, it is most likly some type of mold growing. No one can be sure without a picture.

PEACE & LOVE

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
You have contamination , probably a bacteria . You should throw it away unopened . Agar is for professionals . Doing agar transfers for a begginer is just another chance to get contamination . Especialy as you have contamination now .

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
I've got another growing question:

If you buy a ready-to-use growkit, is it possible that another kind of mushroom starts growing in it? (because of contamination?)
What can happen with your mushrooms if you had a little green spot on the substrate? Can they become poisonous or something?

I had three flushes from a growbox. The mushrooms from the first flush looked great. I have only tried 2 dried grams of them and had a soft trip. But i think the potency is ok. While the second flush was growing i saw a little green space on the substrate (it was gone again after a few days and the box didn't smell weird or something), at that time i thought that was just part of the mycelium.

Anyway, both, the first and the second flush had good looking mushrooms growing which all turned a little bit blueish when touching/picking them (the second flush mushrooms seemed a little bit whiter or less blueish then the first flush). With the third flush i again saw a little green spot growing on the substrate, and the mushrooms i finally picked from this flush didn't turn blueish at all! They are completely white! (or maybe a little bit yellow-white). I even tried a fourth flush (maybe that was not that smart if i really had a contamination growing, but i'm not really sure about that and didn't know about the risks of spores which can contaminate all your future growboxes at that time) but in this last flush all the mushrooms stopped growing at a few centimeters..

So can someone give me some good advice?
I think it's safe to use the mushrooms from the first flush (i already tripped on them and had no problem at all). I also think the mushrooms from the second flush are good, although they turned out a little bit less blueish. But what about the third flush? I guess there went something wrong and there is no psilocybine or psilocine in the mushrooms, because they didn't turned blueish at all. I think, i can better throw these mushrooms away, but can anybody tell me if it's possible that this is a different kind of mushroom (which i doubt) or is it just the same mushrooms which had some problems while growing?

Thanks!

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Anything in your culture that is green and grows or moves is contamination . It is probably mold , or maybe some plant sprout .

I have seen other mushrooms growing on cakes with cubensis .

The last flush sounds to me like its contaminated . I personaly would never consume any mushroom from a contaminated cake .

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
GOD a dit:
Anything in your culture that is green and grows or moves is contamination . It is probably mold , or maybe some plant sprout .

I have seen other mushrooms growing on cakes with cubensis .

The last flush sounds to me like its contaminated . I personaly would never consume any mushroom from a contaminated cake .

Ok thanks. I will throw the last flush away.
But what about the second flush? I noticed a little green spot for some time (which as far as i can remember wasn't there anymore a few days later) and the mushrooms i picked from this flush looked nice. A little bit less blueish then the first flush, but maybe that was because i didn't touch them as much as the first ones. Would you still throw them away?

(btw: can you die or damage your body when eating mushrooms from contaminated cakes? Or what exactly is the risk?)

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I dont know what damage contamination can possibly have on anyone .

Would you eat moldy food ?

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
GOD a dit:
I dont know what damage contamination can possibly have on anyone .

Would you eat moldy food ?

No i would not. But the mushrooms don't look moldy. I think i would eat food which grows in a place with a little bit of mold (if the food looks good) :p

I've seen pictures from growkits with mushrooms which grew green and moldy, i would never eat those! It's clear you shouldn't eat those! But in this case it is not that clear for me.. because the mushrooms of the second flush look ok, but still i saw that little green spot growing for some time..

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
But the mushrooms don't look moldy.

The myclieum network transfers nurtients from everywhere on the substrate. So if the mold is giving off harmful bacteria or toxins it could be inside your mushrooms, with no visible alterations to the outside of the mushrooms.

I had mushrooms that looked 100% perfect, about an once of dried mushrooms. The problem was I found a grey spot on a few of the cakes, and I threw away all the mushrooms :( It's better to be safe.

PEACE & LOVE

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
If you have moldy cheese you see the part of the mold that produces spores , the mold also grows into the cheese to so its imposible to cut it off .

You cant see spores or bacteria withthe naked eye . Look around you can you see any allthough they are every where ?

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
user_1919 a dit:
But the mushrooms don't look moldy.

The myclieum network transfers nurtients from everywhere on the substrate. So if the mold is giving off harmful bacteria or toxins it could be inside your mushrooms, with no visible alterations to the outside of the mushrooms.

I had mushrooms that looked 100% perfect, about an once of dried mushrooms. The problem was I found a grey spot on a few of the cakes, and I threw away all the mushrooms :( It's better to be safe.

PEACE & LOVE

Ok thanks for the information!
But then what about picking mushrooms in nature? How can you be sure that the mycelium (and thus the mushrooms) are not contaminated? Are you always taking a little risk independent of the kind of mushroom you are hunting?

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
GOD a dit:
If you have moldy cheese you see the part of the mold that produces spores , the mold also grows into the cheese to so its imposible to cut it off .

You cant see spores or bacteria withthe naked eye . Look around you can you see any allthough they are every where ?

I know about spores and bacteria being everywhere around you while you can't see them. But when you have a moldy cheese, do you throw away the whole cheese? I think most of the people would cut off the visible moldy part and just eat the rest of the cheese? Then that brings me to the following question: Is there a difference between moldy mushrooms and moldy cheese? :) I mean, are those different kinds of mold or something? Is there a reason why you can still eat the cheese and why you should throw away the mushrooms? Or do I have to throw away the mushrooms AND the cheese when they are moldy? :p

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Yes . But when your cakes are contaminated its the cakes . Mushrooms dont grow in nature on cakes .

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
Ok. But can't the stuff on which mushrooms in the wild are growing be contaminated? (woodchips etc.)

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Of cource , the mileue that we and all of nature live in is contaminated , but to an extent that we and nature can usualy deal with . Nothing is sterile . Psilocybe Cyanescens grow on wood but i`ve never seen anything in nature that could contaminate it or kill it . I have seen old ones out doors that had gone moldy though .

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
Nature is perfect, beautiful and amazing. I am not sure how nature does it, but it does it very good!

PEACE & LOVE

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
GOD a dit:
Of cource , the mileue that we and all of nature live in is contaminated , but to an extent that we and nature can usualy deal with . Nothing is sterile . Psilocybe Cyanescens grow on wood but i`ve never seen anything in nature that could contaminate it or kill it . I have seen old ones out doors that had gone moldy though .

Ok! But then i think i can still keep the second flush. I only saw a green spot for a few days and it was even very small. The mushrooms of the second flush looked nice and they have/had no signs of mold on them. When i would have picked some in the wild, i would never have known if there had been any mold around in the time they were growing. Reasoning like this, i would say when the mushrooms look ok (and don't have any mold on them) you can probably eat them!

Or is the risk of contamination a lot bigger when you grow them yourself?

Please tell me when i'm wrong ;)

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
You cannot see spores. My mold disappeared too, but I still threw them away. I would not take any chances. Nature has it's own special way around things like contamination. Also just because something looks good from the outside, does not mean it is ok. As I said a few posts back, the myclieum transports nutrients throughout the cakes and into your mushrooms, so you may not be able to see the deadly toxins being given off by the mold. Please be careful and use your brain!

PEACE & LOVE

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
I probably am, because i just realized that the risk of contamination is very small in nature. I didn't understand your post completely GOD, but now i do!