Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

meditation and transformation (or magick)

• Auteur de la discussion endorphin
  • Date de début
E

endorphin

Invité
D you think one can change parts of themselves for the better or worse by meditation or magick? like for example say I want to make it to CEO of a company. How do you think constant meditating on the subject will impact the outcome?

Light

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2011
If you abuse these techniques for egoic goals, they won't do you any good. Best to stay away.

sopor

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
i think it can be done and don't think of it as egoistic

but it's not enough to just visualise the goal, during meditation or a ritual you have to become the person that has the job, for example. and act as this person in real life. i see this process simmilar to possession. you have to invoke the part of your personality that will help you obtain a specific goal.

to elaborate:

what or who you are is the result of what you think. the key is in mental higiene. the thought is a tool and you have to choose it according to your intention. meditations and magick can help you focus on achieving your goal since these are techniques for transforming the way of thinking.

Chimaera bombinans in vacuo

McAllister

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juil 2008
I'm going to be unhelpful here an state that my experience with thelemic magick has had the opposite effect of the one you're looking for. The central canon of Thelema is Do What Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law i.e. find out what you're true will is and do just that. I soon realised that it wasn't my true will to try to control people like a works manager does, and I'd be far happier dropping out of society and being an autonomous entity spreading love and peace than conforming to society and the corporate world of ladders of management all trying to maintain control over their supposed underlings.

In order to be a company CEO I would not only having to be certain it's my will to do that, and that I can be a free autonomous person doing that, I'd also have to respect the rights of all my employees to be free autonomous people searching for what their true will is so they can do just that.

Even if magick can't help you with that, I think it can improve you as a person by helping you free yourself from your inhibitions and the corruptions of your ego to be a better, kinder, more positive person, spreading the love as you go. It's about interfacing with your higher consciousness and behaving in a way more compatible with that rather than in the way of ego domination.

Guhyayoga

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Août 2011
Good responses so far, I want to note something though.

When working with intention, it is much more important to focus on what you want to do, not who/what you think you want to be.

I'm a CEO. Not because I set out to be a CEO. Because there was something I wanted to do for the world, and as a course of doing it, it was required of me to become CEO of the company created to do it.

I really love the point one of the above posters made about wills. Here's what I have written in our company literature:

[Name] is designed as a purpose engine. That is to say, many corporations are built around the use of human resources as tools to accomplish the objectives of its primary decision makers, often one person at the top. Employees essentially become extensions of the will of this person, forfeiting their own in return for monetary compensation with which to put food on the table and a roof over the head, and to enjoy the transient things in life. [Name] chooses to take a more ecological, mutual approach.

[Name] is quite literally built on ecological interactions as the common thread, from the contents of bioreactors, to the symbiosis between processes, machinery and facilities, to the organizational structure itself and its interactions with other corporations and institutes: everything relies on synergy and mutuality. This means that [Name] is to serve as a common foundation for people of diverse backgrounds to fulfill their objectives and purposes, simultaneously fulfilling [Name]'s. Rather than narrowly defining some particular role in the organization and finding a human tool to fill it, we wish to work with prospective employees to co-define their roles so that their capabilities are fully utilized, and their objectives are fulfilled.

Don't mean to go too far afield, but I think this has some bearing on the OP. Be sure what you're envisioning with intent is your purpose - and purpose need not be something you interpret as mandated by some 'higher being,' it can be self-appointed, but common in all purposes, I believe, is that they arise from a core desire to serve others in a tangible way by sacrificing one's life on an altar consisting of a certain pattern of ideas, communications and actions.

And this is another reason why I think it's more important to envisage doing than being. It's a cart/horse thing.

ophiuchus

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
i have to say that i agree with mostly all of the above, however i'd like to ask, how do you define "doing" from "being"? they both seem, not necessarily equal, but, more or less adequate in this context, no? would not one imply the other? maybe there is some "fatal flaw" i am missing that you could elaborate on in regards to that statement, guhyayoga. thanks in advance

Pazusu

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Août 2006
Light a dit:
If you abuse these techniques for egoic goals, they won't do you any good. Best to stay away.

What's wrong with an egoic goal? You say it just because everyone sais it. But it is good to think about it again...why is allways thought altruism is good and egocentrism is bad? I think creating from the core of your being, centering your ego is the most important thing to do in life. The biggest creations in the world are products of egocentrism. People being full of what they do, being full of their new creation, happy not because they help people, but because of being busy with their own passion. An altruist depends on others to be happy, he gains happpiness from second hand, he needs people who suffer. An egocentric doesn't need others to be happy, he gains his happiness from first hand. Therefore egocentrism is placed higher on my list than altruism.

Altruism is incompatible with freedom, with capitalism and with individual rights. One cannot combine the pursuit of happiness with the moral status of a sacrificial animal.

We need inspired creators now. They are the biggest hope for a happy future.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
^I've been reading and thinking about this stuff a bit. I think there's two kinds of egocentricity, one is irrational and one is rational.

the irrational kind of egoism takes all for itself, money, fame, you name it. it's basic premise is "more for me is less for you". these people actually don't take everything for themselves, they mostly abdicate everything that makes life rich and full: friendship, companionship, love (for others, god, oneself, animals, nature), beauty etc. and take instead what is rather hollow in one sense or another: stones that people pretend are worth something and symbols on bank accounts. (there, of course is more to symbols on bank accounts, you can do lots of stuff with them, but they don't give immediate happiness, especially so if persued for the sake of getting more of them) this kind of egocentricity is based on an illusion of scarcity.

the rational kind of self-interest on the other hand takes all it needs, and gives freely, knowing that eventually it'll return through the gratitude of others, "more for me is more for you" . it is based on the assumption of abundance, which isn't a very far fetched one, considering what we actually need to live and what we consume.

if you think egoism to its end, it becomes the same as altruism, the two merge into one as you realize that you are in your innermost self all the others that you see, that the ecosystem which delivers all your food is just as much your body as your lips are. the absorption of nutrients starts in the plant, not in your mouth :D

*this is very simplistic and I can't pretend to live by what I write, but I think the gross outlines hold some truth.

Guhyayoga

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Août 2011
i have to say that i agree with mostly all of the above, however i'd like to ask, how do you define "doing" from "being"? they both seem, not necessarily equal, but, more or less adequate in this context, no? would not one imply the other? maybe there is some "fatal flaw" i am missing that you could elaborate on in regards to that statement, guhyayoga. thanks in advance

I would say that doing implies being in the way that a cart implies a horse, and that being contains the potential of doing in the way that a horse is a potential draftsanimal.

What I'm getting at here is not so much that there's a steep-sided divide between doing and being - they're two aspects of the same coin and obviously indivisible, but that it's much more important to consider "What do I want to do?" rather than "Who do I want to be?"

Who you want to be is an image being projected, it's secondary, it's the form without the function.

What's wrong with an egoic goal? You say it just because everyone sais it. But it is good to think about it again...why is allways thought altruism is good and egocentrism is bad?

Because ego-centrism leads to people prioritizing their own happiness over others, creating a willingness to do and say things that will benefit oneself at the expense of others.

The biggest creations in the world are products of egocentrism.

From where I sit, it seems like the best things we have are products of altruism. What are the big things you're talking about?

Exploitative multinational corporations? Totalitarian governments? Parasitical capital structures? Industrial unsustainability? Ecological unsustainability? Geopolitical maneuvering? Social posturing? Widespread ignorance and complacency because people are too busy serving their reptilian brain's easily manipulated desires - catering to their ego?

Yep, all testaments to the glory of egocentricity.

People being full of what they do, being full of their new creation, happy not because they help people, but because of being busy with their own passion.

This comes off as a non-sequitur to me. I know people who are full of what they do, full of their new creation, busy with their own passion - which is helping people. I'd like to think the guy in the mirror counts as such a person.
An altruist depends on others to be happy, he gains happiness from second hand, he needs people who suffer.

These too are misconceptions. Let's go over them:

An altruist depends on others to be happy

First, this is a misleading statement to begin with. Imagine a world in which nobody existed. No other being. No other life. Well, first, you wouldn't be able to survive in such an environment, and I'm fairly sure survival is a prerequisite for happiness. But let's just say that, somehow, the laws of ecology are in temporary abeyance and you've managed to survive by being so wonderfully centered in your ego, and thereby able to work ingeniously to devise some new creation (which you're full of, I might add), that somehow enables your survival.

Oh, but nobody is there to recognize what an awesome ego you are. There is no limelight for the ego to bask in. No appreciation, no recognition, not even monetary recompense. No other egos to compare yours to in the endless game of self-evaluation according to the metrics imposed by society and its various subcultures. No others.

And you're happy. Mmhmm.

But hey, I know you didn't mean it that way - although that is what it extrapolates to. Even taking it the way you meant it, it's still wrong.

There is a long tradition of hermit-altruists who depended on nobody for their own happiness, instead finding happiness within. Milarepa is a case example. However, they recognized that their own yearning to be happy was parallel to that of everyone else, and that finding happiness within themselves meant that others could too - that realization carrying with it an ethical duty to help others. It is not necessary to depend on others for happiness to be an altruist. This is baggage you've attached to it extraneously. One can depend on oneself for happiness, yet still derive additional happiness from serving others. Maximizing utility/felicity and all that jazz.

he gains happiness from second hand

Again, this may be true of some altruists, but is by no mean a defining characteristic.

The brain is actually hardwired to derive happiness/contentment from altruistic acts, even without mirror neurons being stimulated by vicarious happiness of another - the very act of giving is itself enough, and that is first hand.

he needs people who suffer

Compassion presupposes suffering, adoration does not. This is one of the reasons Buddhism emphasizes the distinction between compassion (karuna) and loving-kindness (maitri).

Compassion seeks the elimination of suffering. As it is not egoic in nature, it should not be considered through the lens of egoism. What I mean here is that 'compassion presupposes suffering, therefore compassion needs suffering to continue its existence' pre-supposes that compassion has an ego concerned with its continued existence.

This is not the case. A genuine altruist would love to see an end of suffering, and enjoy respite in a universal full of perfectly aware, perfectly happy beings - this is the maitri component, which is before, and after, karuna.

Such a universe would be forged by altruism, and maintained in altruism, in which each being is optimizing the interests of every other being, whether in the elimination of suffering or the enjoyment of one-another as one.

Altruism can be thought of as an almost-ecological process. Just as toxins are bio-remediated in an ecosystems, suffering is psycho-remediated through service and alleviation - the more mutual, the more reciprocal, the more efficiently suffering is eliminated from the system.

The altruist does not need suffering, the altruist finds that suffering exists, and thus that the situation - suffering wants, and needs, altruism.

An egocentric doesn't need others to be happy he gains his happiness from first hand.

Wrong for reasons that should be apparent by now, but in case they're not: egoists are reliant on conditional means of happiness which are a product of both their own efforts and the social (and economic structure) around them. This is still a very flimsy happiness, easily ravaged by the play of events.

Altruism is incompatible with freedom, with capitalism and with individual rights.

I'm curious as to what basis you have for these assertions.

Altruism is a prerequisite for freedom. Well, at least freedom for the people as a whole. Otherwise, only egocentric people at the very top of the sociopolitical and socioeconomic pyramids enjoy freedom. You think these egocentrists decided one day it'd be a good idea to implement freedom to the detriment of their own agendas? Or the talented individuals who advocated freedom and built its foundations for future generations to squander (in what Isaiah Berlin called negative liberty, which we prioritize at the expense of positive liberty) wouldn't have enjoyed considerably freer, more comfortable lives if they had chosen to use those talents in the service of the elite? Many of them ended up in chains for their altruistic efforts on behalf of humanity.

In the early age of more perfect ecological competition, people did not give a rat's ass about the freedoms of others. It is only because empathy, and altruism as an extension, have been inculcated in the social psyche - as definitely pointed out by Adam Smith in his Theory of Moral Sentiments, which is necessary reading to understand the capitalism that is so poorly understood by the many capitalist neophytes no less zealous for their lack of knowledge.

In fact, in the very first passages, Smith writes:

How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except the pleasure of seeing it. Of this kind is pity or compassion, the emotion we feel for the misery of others, when we either see it, or are made to conceive it in a very lively manner. That we often derive sorrow from the sorrows of others, is a matter of fact too obvious to require any instances to prove it; for this sentiment, like all the other original passions of human nature, is by no means confined to the virtuous or the humane, though they perhaps may feel it with the most exquisite sensibility. The greatest ruffian, the most hardened violator of the laws of society, is not altogether without it.

Yes, it is true that Smith viewed universal altruism as beyond man's purview, squarely within God's preserve, and sought ways to make self interests compatible for the greatest good, an altruistic endeavor for him. The entire point of capitalism is to structure incentives and social contracts/mechanics so that personal selfishness is converted to impersonal altruism.

I tend to agree that universal altruism is solely God's domain, and therefore absolutely essential for those who wish to transcend humanity and awake as divinity. This is the central premise of Mahayana Buddhism.

Although Smith goes on to say:

Though our effectual good offices can very seldom be extended to any wider society than that of our own country; our good-will is circumscribed by no boundary, but may embrace the immensity of the universe. We cannot form the idea of any innocent and sensible being, whose happiness we should not desire, or to whose misery, when distinctly brought home to the imagination, we should not have some degree of aversion.

Anyway...

Smith was seeking what, in the language of more modern economics, is called equilibrium - a state of stability balancing everyone's interests, by way of facilitating individual self interest and channeling it constructively. Remember, Smith was a moral philosopher before an economist.

When he talks about virtues, he says:

How amiable does he appear to be, whose sympathetic heart seems to reecho all the sentiments of those with whom he converses, who grieves for their calamities, who resents their injuries, and who rejoices at their good fortune! When we bring home to ourselves the situation of his companions, we enter into their gratitude, and feel what consolation they must derive from the tender sympathy of so affectionate a friend. And for a contrary reason, how disagreeable does he appear to be, whose hard and obdurate heart feels for himself only, but is altogether insensible to the happiness or misery of others! We enter, in this case too, into the pain which his presence must give to every mortal with whom he converses, to those especially with whom we are most apt to sympathize, the unfortunate and the injured.

Smith was a humanist whose humanism tended to border on altruism, although as an economist, he was very interested in what is now called behavioral economics, and preferred to base his philosophy on observation of human behavior - as often selfish - rather than an unreachable ideal of universal benevolence incompatible with the realities of social conditioning then and now, as in communism.

Proper capitalism should be seen as converting personal selfishness to impersonal altruism, and facilitating, by making economically sustainable, altruism.

You mentioned core of being. The only way such a core makes sense in the context of equilibrium is if everyone's core, everyone's purpose, if you will, is mutually complementary. ie, your purpose is served by others, your purpose serves others. Ecologies of purpose.

One cannot combine the pursuit of happiness with the moral status of a sacrificial animal.

A sacrificial animal has no choice in the matter, it is sacrificed by another for egoic goal. Whereas an altruist sacrifices her own interests for the greater good. Or rather, sacrifices her egoic interests, and instead makes her interest the interests of others. You're right though, this is generally incompatible with the pursuit of happiness, which is precisely what makes altruism such a wonderful catalyst for happiness.

Earlier in the thread, someone's signature contained a quote from Alan Watts to the extent that nirvana - a state of absolute happiness, unstained by any kind of suffering - cannot be found, because finding it presupposes that it is something that needs to be searched for; pursued.

Happiness is much the same, and searching for it as an object in of itself, or something non-intrinsic, will only fasten the weary pursuers to the hedonic treadmill chasing it in one ephemeral object - mental or physical - after another, whether these objects are derived from one's own equally conditional activities, or those of others'.

But to bring arguments a little closer to home, after you read this, I suggest you call your mother - I'm sure she'd love to hear your voice anyway, and ask her if she ever sacrificed her own interests for your well being, if she regrets doing so, and if she derived happiness from doing so.

Altruism, at least or particularly in the context of kin selection theory, is an evolutionary stable strategy; evolutionary biology (and ecology) presuppose its development for civilization to occur. In the gene-centric view, it's hardwired so that the selfish genes are furthered by unselfish people. Evolutionary ecology takes a somewhat broader view. Even robots in our experiments and simulations develop rudimentary altruism from mutating code. Altruism was selected for by evolutionary pressures.

We need inspired creators now.

The most inspired creators I know personally, and know of - in history and the current, are nearly all altruists.

But, in the need for inspired creators, we agree.

Light

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Juil 2011
TLDR.

What were you saying?

Guhyayoga

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Août 2011
Light a dit:
TLDR.

What were you saying?

Getting shit off my chest like breast reduction. There's an unabridged translation of War & Peace in there somewhere too.

But uh, my basic point was four legs bad, two legs good. Or something. Yeah.

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
it's worth a read imo. (skm @ lst if tl 4 u) :p was bordering the lines of war and peace: unabridged, but i managed to get through it, and i think it sums things up quite nicely without much cause for trolling replies. or iow: pwned :!:

Pazusu

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Août 2006
Me: What's wrong with an egoic goal? You say it just because everyone sais it. But it is good to think about it again...why is allways thought altruism is good and egocentrism is bad?

Gusomethingyoga: Because ego-centrism leads to people prioritizing their own happiness over others, creating a willingness to do and say things that will benefit oneself at the expense of others.

Me: I don't agree. Why would prioritizing my own path lead to the expense of others? Ego centrism is something else than being selfish. It is putting the things you want in life in the centre, not what others want you to want, what others expect you to do. And I don't think wanting to be a CEO (I had to look up what that is...seems to be a manager, something I never would want to be, would cause me nightmares) is not an egoic goal. If that's what you want than go for it. Why would we not go for the highest self manifestation? Because it is not a proper thing to do? Because others would be jealous? Because the whole world must be humble, serving for the masses? That's just the reason why there is evil in the world, because the top are selfish bastards we like to vote on. We let it exist, and say..hey, I don't have the power to change the world. Being a CEO would mean having more influence to a better world...and enjoy it better yourself, have a better salary. Somehow we think earning money, and liking what someone does is forbidden, or something...

Guhyayoga

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Août 2011
Now that you've slain the strawman with your pitchfork of ideological blindness (want a torch of Bernays-style liberty to go with it?), howabout you actually put up some real arguments?

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
I don't agree. Why would prioritizing my own path lead to the expense of others?

the word itself explains. by simply being ego-centric (self-centered) you are automatically, by definition, ignoring others. attention can only be in one place at a time...

nobody expects you to do anything. and that's not even what altruism is about. IT IS ABOUT DOING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. but it should be productive for the rest of society, or what is the point?

that's it.

nothing else is worth addressing unless you reshape your argument.

Pazusu

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Août 2006
A true ego centric man doesn't affect his choices on the opinion, appreciation or approval of others. He doesn't need it. I belief the biggest evil in the world is that people place their hopes, interests, trust, norms in the hands of others.

If an altruist is the opposite of an ego centric, than I surely prefer to be an ego centric.

It does not imply that an ego centric would harm others, because it would harm himself.