Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

how to delete oneself from the internet

ophiuchus

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
:evil: i just did a search of my name and found my mugshot, by comparing websites together people can put together my address, my phone number, my email address, my fucking family members are linked there, people can BUY my complete portfolio of all my information for less than $1. what the fuck. im dropping off the grid VERY soon. in an era where one has to opt out of everything after it's too late, i'm out.

here's everything you need to know in order to minimize the amount of information of yours that is being sold. (google yourself, it may be shocking)

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-574 ... -internet/

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
ophiuchus a dit:
people can BUY my complete portfolio of all my information for less than $1.

Have you ever tried to buy that??

I didn't, but i suspect it's just scam.. If you pay 1 dollar, you probably get an email from Cameroon saying "thank you"

ChatonMort

Inscrit
16 Mar 2012
I don't know how to delete it once there's all these informations about you on these sites, but i've always managed not to have my real name linked to anything about my internet-life/identity/presence… The thing is, i just never give it to any site, except when buying stuff on a site that just keep your address & name in their client database (and it can't show on a google search, at least i hope), and i regularly google myself to check that there's really no way to find anything about me by knowing my name & last name (or other real life info)
I know i'm not really as cautious as i should be, actually i think i'm not paranoid enough, but i think i've always more or less managed so far…

Are you used to taking precautions about that, like, whenever you register on a site, giving the less info possible about you, always giving a fake age unless they really need it, setting your facebook account to private & invisible (you can hide it to google & to any person who's not logged on fb, and show nothing but your profile pic & your fb name (which obviously is better being a fake) to anyone without permission)(not having a facebook account is good too)… ?
If you did and still have this info about you available online… I think we're fucked :-?

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
i could tell it is not a scam. these websites are subscription-based, so i would have to pay for a subscription, then purchase my portfolio on top of that. they give you a sample of what the portfolio contains, beginning of an address, most of a phone number, etc etc. i have been arrested, so much of my information is available through government websites as well... however, why my information is now a commercial retail commodity has not been explained to me. farcebook by default steals and sells your information, so by the time one would go to opt out of it, the transaction has already happened. it's pointless to opt out...

i only give my information where it is absolutely mandatory. like government matters or if something is ordered to my house.

piple
intellius
spokeo
these are the main ones that i've found so far. :evil:

beefcharcoal

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
3 Oct 2012
Yeah I think once something is on the internet it's very difficult, if not imposible to get it off. Very scary indeed. And it's not a scam, I know someone who use to work in online marketing and often they would buy a list of email addresses of real people and sometimes there information, including their browsing history so they know what to market to them.

The thought of your personal information getting into the wrong hands is terrifying.

Novakovic

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
16 Oct 2012
Yes it is difficult and very upsetting that once you are on internet you cant hide your details...because the fact internet is social communicating medium..so here once we store or link data then we cant delete them...at least few copies are left with every website we use..and that really sucks..

Mrboxey

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Nov 2012
Meh... I used to think it was awful, so much information floating around about me on the net... Until I realized, that someone would have to be REALLY bored to be interested in what I do or who I am connected to. So, let them have all the information they want on me, they'll never make it through the first page of the report before dozing off....

Oh, and if someone really wants to know what I ate for breakfast and if my shit stinks, then let em... I don't see the harm. Privacy is more of an illusion these days more than anything else, and you might as well get used to it, as it is not going to change any time soon. (It's only going to get worse).

You know SkyNet? Google is building it... Going off the grid? You better hope for a carington type event, because that's the only way you'll be wiped off the net completely....

beefcharcoal

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
3 Oct 2012
Mrboxey a dit:
Meh... I used to think it was awful, so much information floating around about me on the net... Until I realized, that someone would have to be REALLY bored to be interested in what I do or who I am connected to. So, let them have all the information they want on me, they'll never make it through the first page of the report before dozing off....

I agree with you 100%. I'm not one to just give out my information, but my boyfriend always gets so paranoid about people finding my details online. He's extra careful and rarely gives out any information. He goes to the extreme of making fake email addresses when he signs up to websites etc and puts down fake information. He doesnt understand why I dont do the same. I honestly dont see any reason why anyone would want to go through the hassle to get any of my details, or what they would even want to do with it.

Mrboxey

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Nov 2012
beefcharcoal a dit:
I agree with you 100%. I'm not one to just give out my information, but my boyfriend always gets so paranoid about people finding my details online. He's extra careful and rarely gives out any information. He goes to the extreme of making fake email addresses when he signs up to websites etc and puts down fake information. He doesnt understand why I dont do the same. I honestly dont see any reason why anyone would want to go through the hassle to get any of my details, or what they would even want to do with it.

Could be that he likes his privacy, unfortunately, privacy is mainly an illusion now. :(

Freedom is a state of mind, but us having anything private pretty much went out the window a few years ago. But what would people really want with your info? To sell it to advertisers for Spam. :D

Other than that, who knows you might be surprised how many people might want to know what color underwear you are wearing LOL....

But honestly, it's more for advertising and trying to sell us shit than actually caring or spying on us for the sake of spying... In my opinion anyway.

But really if people start trying to find me, they won't find much anyway, mainly my FB, LinkedIn, and Work Profile... Other than that, they won't get much. My general location maybe, and a bunch of useless stupid crap I post to FB LOL....

Oh well...

Jamapricotica

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Déc 2008
I've done some thinking and some research and as a result I've become persuaded to edit my reply to this thread.
You cannot delete yourself from the internet, period.