Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Growing

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
SWIM is growing a few plants for personal use (IE: small setup), and has a problem. The lower leaves of his plants are starting to die as the plant gets taller. Is this due to a lack of light to those lower leaves, and if so, will a reflector help it? I attached the pics he sent me, so you can see what i mean.

druglessdouglas

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
they arent stretching too much so im guessing they are quite cold because the light is quite far away.

have they Just been re-potted? they look ok but a bit lacking in nitrogen so im guessing they have just come from smaller pots where they used all the N.
am i right?

if the roots have grown enough can your aquaintance get a picture? you can tell a lot from the root color and distribution. if they have just been repotted dont try and take a pic of the roots.

move the light closer to the tops. 3 inches is ideal.if they are in a warm place they will grow an inch+ a day so be prepared to raise the light regularly. an extra light would help also

if they are in a cold place (my guess) let them use all their water before giving more. let the compost shrink a couple of milimeters from the pot, run your finger around the inside of the pot to fill the tiny gap, then rewater.

insulating the pots will help also. bubble wrap, mylar old carpet or whatever. an inch of pearlite on top of the compost helps. it will turn green but dont worry about it

ill sum-up
either they are sitting in too much water and the roots are getting damage (they dont use much water when they are cold)

or, you have just re-potted them and the roots havnt spread into the new compost yet

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
SWIMs been keeping them between 70F and 80F, is that still too cold?

That said, my guess is over watered and too cold, as they were re-potted over a month ago.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
the lower leaves look ok to me - no worse than usual for the stage of growth, and the temperature isnt too low.

the very pale new growth and pale stems are a worry though. its suggests an unhealthy root system, or defficient soil (Mg or nitrogen are possible)

gently tap one out of its pot and look at the roots. they should be white, not yellow or brown.

what compost have they used?

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Just a balanced, store-bought kind. I'll post back when SWIM checks the roots.

EDIT: The roots are almost "copy-paper" white. As for the new growth, it's actually the same color as everything else, it's just the flash + the grow lights that made it look lighter.

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Awesome thanks a bunch. SWIM was a bit worried when he saw the bottom leaves dying on his babies. ;)

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
they look good.
they would thank SWYM for more light though. move the tube closer and think about getting another one, or 3