Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Graffiti, Street Art, Urban Art, etc...

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
there are actually alot of graffiti writers in seattle. the art primo store is located there and the tunnels by the beaches are covered top to bottom with teenage love notes, graff, and tourist doodles with the year they visited. and i thought it was cool how in the city parts, graffiti stayed off the museums and stores and was all over the street lights and mailboxes i was impressed how respectful the graffiti was in a city that is more open to graffiti.

in arizona where they are more strict, the graffiti is more angry and rebellious like the kids have nothing to follow, no graff culture, more gangs and cars getting tagged. i find it similar to drugs and netherlands and america, one tolerates it in designated areas and is more leniant and yet they have less problems of people dealing and gangs starting like in america where the "war on drugs" is still going on. like how if a parent is too strict, their kid will act out more

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Aemilius a dit:
I really do live in what to me is an idyllic area of
Seatlle, and I guess I interpreted your descriptions of
there being nothing but drab gray buildings without
graffiti to brighten the landscape as meaning you lived
in an area like that. Maybe I confused where you live
with where you do graffiti. What’s your neighborhood
like? You do graffiti near where you live?

To the south, plenty of neighborhood, but old - it is a college neighborhood and the houses are very ugly in my opinion - no upkeep, the land lords don't really care.

To the north is all shipping/receiving warehouses. Block after block. Endless gray and white. The stores are so bland that they do not even advertise themselves - I can't believe I'm saying that - but I would rather have a colorful something then nothing [to a point of course].

I tend to paint where nobody is going to see it unless they go looking for it, however if I have a bit of intoxication going on I tend to test my limits and go for rooftops or billboards. You see, there are two people conversing when I go graffiti - the one I have displayed here, and the one you don't like. I have one foot in the graffiti community and one in the street art, and I tend to mix the two together.

I like painting places or tagging especially, very odd places. Things that you are NOT going to see unless you go out of your way or find yourself in a very odd situation, like the bottom of a dumpster, a table, or sink. I like to go down alley ways and hit things on the underside or back side. I imagine someone down the road either taking apart and old building, or tripping and falling in an odd place, or thinking to themselves "I bet nobody has ever been here before!" only to find my tag. I like the thought that I may put a bit of wonder, at least for a few seconds of "Why / how / when did he do that?"

But I do tend to do billboards, trucks, and "FOR SALE" buildings too, which is an internal struggle for morality, popularity, art, passion, and/or ideologies in the subject of graffiti.

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
YES ijc those are the kinds i love!!
walking through some random place and seeing a really nice piece
in fremantle, which is where the main docks are in perth, there is a strong graffiti culture going and there is a particular abandoned warehouse where the inside is completely covered in some really good quality pieces

When i was younger and was trying to get my graffiti on i put a big one on top of a bus stop...i bet to this day no one has climbed up there and seen it XD

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
miniature scenes lights?

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
I have nothing in way of opinion to add but I stumbled across a documentary last night about an old school graffiti artist from London called King Robbo and how a young man from Bristol called Banksy came to fame using copycat material and defacing possibly the oldest piece of graffiti in London.

I find it very fitting to this conversation and would advise all those interested in graffiti to watch it :)
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/graf ... /episode-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Robbo

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Aemilius a dit:
Allusion "....do you know who made the miniature scenes light?"

Well now that stuff I like! I wanted to see more too Allusion
so I just hacked Light's "search history" using a shadow proxy
IP address. Anyway I found it! http://slinkachu.com/little-people.

you can actually do that? that fucking sucks.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
And until I see this documentary I wouldn't put anything on King Robo's truthfulness.

I'm pretty certain he is just using banksy to up his fame. I've never heard of him, nobody I know has ever heard from him, and the fact he makes claims about banksy in person blatantly shows that he's a fucking idiot.

The people who know about banksy know why this is a fallacy :wink:

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
[youtube]KFOmZcbL5Uo[/youtube]

And still - the secrets in Banksy's identity show that Robbo is a nobody, attempting to catch fame on the shoulders of another.

Robbo is a vandal, Banksy is a street artist. Graffiti is somewhere in between the two extremes.

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
What about Blek le Rat and how he was producing the same style of stencil art from 1981 that Banksy replicated and became famous for and when asked about the link to Bleks style denied he knew anything of the french stencil graffiti artist?

Also, You need to learn to understand opinion and that there is no truth but the truth.

Do not allow your inflated ego to block the chance to learn...

P.S. I'm not interested in this subject personally, just thought it was worth sharing.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
advertisers consider their craft an artform

I don't consider anything 'art' unless it is somewhat aesthetically pleasing.....in that light, I can say that I have seen some grafitti I could call art

I really don't have anything against it, but as a form of social commentary with teeth I find it badly lacking

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Sticki a dit:
What about Blek le Rat and how he was producing the same style of stencil art from 1981 that Banksy replicated and became famous for and when asked about the link to Bleks style denied he knew anything of the french stencil graffiti artist?

Also, You need to learn to understand opinion and that there is no truth but the truth.

Do not allow your inflated ego to block the chance to learn...

P.S. I'm not interested in this subject personally, just thought it was worth sharing.

Inflated ego and knowledge are two different things.

When and who ever interviewed banksy and asked him about Blek?

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
wow this is great. Blek is awesome - I even got a picture of his work and didn't know it while I was in paris:

4660435539_412cb3396e_b.jpg

Or at least I think that is him. I didn't see many multi coloreds by him.
[quote:2uh3zcx8]The famed Banksy has been quoted for saying "Every time I think I've painted something slightly original, I find out that Blek Le Rat has done it as well. Only twenty years earlier..." This being said what are your thoughts on Banksy?

I can tell you now that I have a stock of good ideas for him. Really, I do! I have many good ideas but this time he will have to pay because we all know that he is fucking rich. (laughs) By him saying this it is a good thing. Banksy saying this about me allows me take a little bit back from him. He takes, but we all take from someplace. [/quote:2uh3zcx8]

... The truth is, no actual journalist or street artist or anyone has ever interviewed, talked or slapped banksy - nobody knows who 'he' is.

Banksy's art is similar to blek's, but he is not ripping blek off. Nor was blek the first stencil artist... Art builds upon itself, and if someone were to claim original to anything I would have to disagree entirely. Banksy isn't blek and blek isn't banksy.

but this isn't going to go into a discussion about banksy...

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
while were on the topic id just want to say that banksy is one of my favorite artists because of his cleverness in graffiti its almost political art or something not really just a throwup.

but i think its an old idea of using rats to symbolize people. it one of the chines zodiac and i would bet banksy and bleke got some historical influence from the character that a rat is in cultures around the world.

but thats not even banksy's best stuff in my opinion. he's done so much graffiti things that arent black and white realistic stencils or rats. hes just always outside the box so yea he might be like bleke sometimes but he has more than one trick