Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Does L-Tryptophan really helps the brain after doing MDMA ?

G

Invité
Well, that's my question, would really appreciate your opinion on this subject.

Lion

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
i believe so yes.
i did it for a while and it helped me sleep better.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
I don't know, but bananas tastes very good for me for a few days after MDMA. I guess it could be a sign that you body needs it. I don't think it boost serotonin production though, it only makes sure you don't lack of material for producing it (L-tryptophan is a precursor of serotonin)

G

Invité
Psychoid a dit:
(L-tryptophan is an analogue of serotonin)

I guess you meant a precursor ?

Otherwise, what is exactly 5-HTP ? I'm a bit confused with this substance, does it have anything to do with tryptophan ?

emix

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
1 Jan 2008
Tiax a dit:
Psychoid a dit:
(L-tryptophan is an analogue of serotonin)

I guess you meant a precursor ?

Otherwise, what is exactly 5-HTP ? I'm a bit confused with this substance, does it have anything to do with tryptophan ?

5-Hydroxytryptophan or 5-HTP is a naturally-occurring amino acid, a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and an intermediate in tryptophan metabolism. Source: wikipedia

G

Invité
emix a dit:
5-Hydroxytryptophan or 5-HTP is a naturally-occurring amino acid, a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and an intermediate in tryptophan metabolism. Source: wikipedia

So, basically put :

5-HTP -> Tryptophan -> Serotonin ?

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Every time i took L-Tryptophan after taking E i didnt have a hangover or feel fucked on the next day . Everytime i didnt take it i did .

G

Invité
GOD a dit:
Every time i took L-Tryptophan after taking E i didnt have a hangover or feel fucked on the next day . Everytime i didnt take it i did .

Did you took it as a supplement, or did you simply ate bananas, milk, eggs or stuff like that ?

Plus, I read that lots of users take it before or during the trip, anyone here does that ?

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Take the suplement after you come down . The fruit wont help at all , it hasnt got enough in it .

I`ve done it before and during X . Dont do it , it does make the experience seem a little better but it fucks you up in the long run .

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Tiax a dit:
5-HTP -> Tryptophan -> Serotonin ?

Correction: Tryptophan > 5-Hydroxy-Trypotophan > Serotonin (5-Hydroxy-Tryptamine)
I don't think Tryptophan or 5-HT will increase the production rate of serotonin, as such metabolic processes are limited in speed because the amount of enzymes that perform the hydroxylation and decarboxylation stay the same, but at least you won't run out of resources for new serotonin.

Entheonaut

Inscrit
29 Mai 2006
I think it does indeed help. Only taking a tryptophan supplement won't fix you up completely. It works best if you also eat healthy (fruit works great for me) and sleep well.

G

Invité
But then which supplement should I buy ? Tryptophan, or 5-HTP ?

Entheonaut

Inscrit
29 Mai 2006
I don't think you will notice a significant difference between the two. I've got L-Tryptophan and it works fine =)

Entheonaut

Inscrit
29 Mai 2006
You're welcome :wink:

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I didn't believe it at first, but I think higher doses of l-tryptophan can actually boost serotonine production a little. I've been taking 2g every night for two weeks or so (because it makes me really sleepy) when I realized that I started waking up in the morning with a very warm/cozy feeling - and especially my feet were really hot. I had the same effects when I was taking fluoxetine (only stronger). I can't say taking 2g regularly made me feel happier or something, but I haven't had any downs either.
Since that experience I make sure I take L-tryptophan once in a while (I don't feel the need to take a high dose regularly).

I can say for sure that L-tryptophan helps a lot with the after effects of alcohol - it takes the depressive feeling from the day after. You may still feel shitty physically, but much less depressed. Whenever I drink too much, I make sure I take 1g before I go to sleep and 1g in the morning.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
A hang over or mental down after E?

I welcome an undefinable after glow for a week with a deep and fresh state of relaxtion and a true appreciation of just being around people. Feeling free and loaded with solid inner freedom.

Only want to sleep more and there's a need to take short naps during the days after.

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
I actually just picked up a bottle of 5HTP because I woke up this morning feeling drained and slightly depressed, possibly from taking a lot of E, I'll let you know if I feel anything from a few doses.