Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Do you believe in the present?

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
the past is just a concept of memory , it doesn't exist. the future is what we are traveling to constantly.

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
So the past doesn't exist and the future does. Then where are we now? In the future?

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
I dont think that the past and the future is really that important.
But the now is all that is.
It is a notion of everything.

When you percieve the past, you are percieving a concept which your mind mostly fictionlizes up. Only special and few moments are remembered in detail, and if they are remembered in detail, the mind still fills up the gaps with fantasy.
But when you percieve the future, you are also just looking into ideas and mental concepts.

That the past and future is equally valued with the now, is a weird concept.
For me, the now is all that is.
I can never truly know what is outside the now.
your consciousness is always in the now.

Ofcourse it is comforting or not.....to view those ideas of time as reality.
But the now is the only thing that can be really real.
Meaning, it is the only thing percieved that is outside you.

Future and past, feels like names of something we dont know.

Did that make any sense? XD

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
Forkbender a dit:
If the present doesn't exist, what divides the past from the future?
nothing, time is only a human concept which makes our lives easier to manage, eg. if we didnt have the concept of time it would be hard to keep appointments etc.

past present and future are 1
i also think they dont exist at all, its just human perception

stephen hawkings says time for each individual is perceived differently, i tend to believe him and i've also heard of monks who can slow their perception of time

misfit

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
27 Jan 2009
What was experienced, experience and what wasn't experienced yet.

That's what is real.

The details are here. Learn from what you experienced and dream about what you have yet to live.

I think everything else it's a reverie of our naive perception.
Though, we were raised with such notions.

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
thats like saying that because you didnt experience the dinosaurs or the roman legion that they never happend
experience is a personal thing and has to do with an individual

experience and time are 2 different things

misfit

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
27 Jan 2009
They are the same thing.

I believe the dinossaurs had their experiences. Though they didn't had history classes, librarys, google, and so on... Though, they learned by their experience. i.e. they acquire knowledge by experience, on how to hunt their preys with more efficiency without spending so much energy. Or what were the best leaves to eat, witch trees, etc.... Just like any animal (based on their enviornment, ofcourse)

Time is based on language. It's a abstraction, it's not actually Real.
We named it, Time. We give it value by counting a beat similar to a normal heartbeat. We write history. We read, we acquire knowledge. We think about that.

aryaman

Inscrit
29 Sept 2008
I don't trust nothing. And of this also, I'm not so sure.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Crimzen a dit:
nothing, time is only a human concept which makes our lives easier to manage, eg. if we didnt have the concept of time it would be hard to keep appointments etc.

past present and future are 1
i also think they dont exist at all, its just human perception

stephen hawkings says time for each individual is perceived differently, i tend to believe him and i've also heard of monks who can slow their perception of time

If time is just human perception, why wouldn't it exist?

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
as the beatles stated, life flows on within you and without you.

that totally applies to time. time is a human perception? off course it is!
Time is a dimension? off course it is!

we can't just limit time to human perception, time existed before humans!!

A long time ago!!!!!! hahah

Horrigan

Banni
Inscrit
26 Mai 2007
Present is an amount of time that tends to be null.

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008

misfit

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
27 Jan 2009
An apple falled from a tree.

Did it took time to fall on the ground? Or did it took velocity, for it to happen?

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
velocity depends on time. time and space are the bases of reality

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
velocity=m/s does it answer your question? :wink:

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
The present is the only thing I can directly experience, so I don't have to believe anything, I just experience. Maybe this requires some deeper metaphysical belief that I am unaware of, but I can't really tell.

significationof?!?

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Déc 2008
It is very hard (if not impossible?) to live in the instantaneous present, because the present is the sum of the past... For example:

Have you ever played the "fainting game"? It's a (very stupid, very dangerous) game that consists in hyperventilating, and then having your chest squeezed by someone else, until you faint. When you wake up, you wake up from a black hole. For a second, there is only the present, and it makes absolutely no sense... Then you realize someone slapping you in the face because you were convulsing in that induced sleep, and everybody else laughing around you. Yes, I have done very stupid stuff and have had very stupid friends. But back on topic.

I believe the present is a concept very similar to a mathematical point; it has no dimension, yet an infinity of points make a line, just like an infinity of instantaneous presents make up time. Just the point doesn't really exist in our 3-D world, neither does the present.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Here's a theory about time.

There are two "dimensions" of time.
The objective one, and the subjective one.

The objective one is the one created by the movements of the planets, stars etc... The one our clock refers to.

And there are an infinite number of subjective dimensions of time, one for each living being. It is the perceived time.

So when you're doing something you really enjoy, there are chances that when you'll look at you watch you'll think "what'? already 2 hours? I thought only 30 minutes had passed!" So objectively 2 hours have passed, but you have perceived only 30 minutes.
Lets take another example. A group of people is listening to a guy talking about something. We will pay attention to only two persons. One finds the guy really interesting, while the other finds him outrageously boring. At the end, the first one says "Damn, it's already finished! I wished it'd last longer! It lasted only like fifteen minutes! oO", and the other answers "You crazy! It must have lasted over an hour!!! :\ ". They are both right, and at the same time they are both wrong.

We have no control on the objective dimension of time, but we have some on the subjective one.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Here's another theory about time:

Time is evolution.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If time exists, then present exists. If time doesn't exist, present is all that exists. But if there is no present, how is there anything?

But we will never know wether time really exists or not.

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
time exists.

it is just hard to perceive to the human mind.