Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Climate change, in part a cosmic feature

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Two days ago I saw a program about a group of researchers who had found a direct correlation between the position of our solar system within the spiralling arms of the galaxy, and temperatures on Earth. Scroll down to read about the theory as presented on this page: http://www.sciencebits.com/ice-ages. This theory differs quite a bit from that presented by David Wilcock, who links it to 2012, Sun cycles and the coming ascension, due to the solar system moving into the 4th density. But it does confirm some of his views, which are again based on the conclusions of people like Richard Hoagland and Mitch Battros, who suggest global warming is a process affecting our entire solar system, and must thus also (aside from the obvious human factor) be caused by either the Sun itself, or something affecting the Sun from outside our solar system.

Though the theory described below is related to the stars, 2012 has nothing to do with it. Concerning 2012, I came across a very interesting new podcast. Jan Irvin interviews Professor John Hooper about the origins of the 2012 meme, entheogen use by the ancient Mayans, and a variety of other subjects. Very interesting material for both the 2012 advocates and debunkers.

Gnostic Media Podcast #004 – The 2012 Meme. Fact or Fiction? An Interview with Professor John Hoopes.

John Hoopes, Director of the Global Indigenous Nations Studies Program, and Associate professor of Anthropology at the University of Kansas, Lawrence. He earned his doctorate from Harvard University in Anthropology, 1987.

Notice that Jan has recently published a new book: The Holy Mushroom

TheHolyMushroom-cover-3.5.jpg

And now on with the climate change bit.

Caduceus

The Milky Way Galaxy's Spiral Arms and Ice-Age Epochs and the Cosmic Ray Connection

By Nir J. Shaviv

1. Ice Age Epochs and Milky Way Spiral Arm Passages:

Different empirical evidence convincingly support the existence of a link between solar activity and the terrestrial climate. In particular, various climate indices appear to correlate with solar activity proxies on time scales ranging from years to many millennia. For example, small but statistically significant temperature variations (of about 0.1°C) exist in the global temperature, following the 11 year solar cycle. On longer time scales, the climate system has enough time to adjust, and larger temperature variations arise from the secular variations in the solar activity.

One mechanism which can give rise to a notable solar/climate link was suggested by the late Edward Ney of the U. of Minnesota, in 1959. He suggested that any climatic sensitivity to the density of tropospheric ions would immediately link solar activity to climate. This is because the solar wind modulates the flux of high-energy particles coming from outside the solar system. These particles, the cosmic rays, are the dominant source of ionization in the troposphere. Thus, a more active sun which accelerates a stronger solar wind, would imply that as cosmic rays diffuse from the outskirts of the solar system to its center, they lose more energy. Consequently, a lower tropospheric ionization rate results. Over the 11-yr solar cycle and the long term variations in solar activity, these variations amount to typically a 10% change in this ionization rate. Moreover, it now appears that there is a climatic variable sensitive to the amount of tropospheric ionization - clouds. Thus, the emerging picture is as described in figure 1.

fig1.jpg

Figure 1 - The cosmic ray link between solar activity and the terrestrial climate. The changing solar activity is responsible for a varying solar wind strength. A stronger wind will reduce the flux of cosmic ray reaching Earth, since a larger amount of energy is lost as they propagate up the solar wind. The cosmic rays themselves come from outside the solar system. Since cosmic rays dominate the troposphere ionization, an increased solar activity will translate into a reduced ionization, and empirically, also to a reduced low altitude cloud cover. Since low altitude clouds have a net cooling effect (their "whiteness" is more important than their "blanket" effect), increased solar activity implies a warmer climate. Intrinsic cosmic ray flux variations will have a similar effect, one however, which is unrelated to solar activity variations.

If this is true, then one should expect climatic variations while we roam the galaxy. This is because the density of cosmic ray sources in the galaxy is not uniform. In fact, it is concentrated in the galactic spiral arms (it arises from supernovae, which in our galaxy are predominantly the end product of massive stars, which in turn form and die primarily in spiral arms). Thus, each time we cross a galactic arm, we should expect a colder climate. Current data for the spiral arm passages gives a crossing once every 135 ± 25 Million years. (See fig. 2 on the left. Note also that the spiral arms are density waves which propagate at a different speed than the stars, that is, nothing moves at their rotation speed).

fig2.jpg

Figure 2 - An artist rendition of the spiral structure of the Milky Way's spiral structure. Illustration Credit: R. Hurt (SSC), JPL-Caltech, NASA.

A record of the long term variations of the galactic cosmic ray flux can be extracted from Iron meteorites. It was found in the present work that the cosmic ray flux varied periodically (with flux variations greater than a factor of 2.5) with an average period of 143 ± 10 Million years. This is consistent with the expected spiral arm crossing period and with the picture that the cosmic ray flux should be variable. The agreement is also with the correct phase. But this is not all.

The main result of this research, is that the variations of the flux, as predicted from the galactic model and as observed from the Iron meteorites is in sync with the occurrence of ice-age epochs on Earth. The agreement is both in period and in phase: (1) The observed period of the occurrence of ice-age epochs on Earth is 145 ± 7 Myr (compared with 143 ± 10 Myrs for the Cosmic ray flux variations), (2) The mid point of the ice-age epochs is predicted to lag by 31 ± 8 Myr and observed to lag by 33 ± 20 Myr. This can be seen in the first figure.

fig3.jpg

Figure 3 - An Iron meteorite, a large sample of which can be used to reconstruct the past cosmic ray flux variations. The reconstructed signal reveals a 145 Myr periodicity shown below. This particular one is part of the Sikhote Alin meteorite that fell over Siberia in the middle of the 20th century, it broke off its parent body about 300 Million years ago.

A second agreement is in the long term activity: On one hand there were no ice-age epochs observed on Earth between 1 and 2 billion years ago. On the other hand, it appears that the star formation rate in the Milky way was about 1/2 of its average between 1 billion and 2 billion year ago, while it was higher in the past 1 billion years, and between 2 to 3 billion years ago.

Another point worth mentioning is that, unlike some articles which misquote me (or copy from a misquoting article), I don't think we wont have an ice age coming in the coming few tens of millions of years. If this galactic-climate picture is correct (and you should judge yourself from the evidence, in particular by the paper in New Astronomy), it implies that we are at the end of a several 10 million year long "icehouse" epoch during which we have ice-ages come and go, and gradually over the next few millions of years, the severity of ice-ages should diminish, until they will disappear altogether. I wouldn't buy real estate in Northern Canada just yet.

fig4.jpg

Figure 4 - The top panel describes our passages through galactic spiral arms. The second panel describes the predicted cosmic ray flux and the predicted occurrence of ice-age epochs. The third panel describes the actual occurrence of ice-age epochs. The fourth panel indirectly describes the variable cosmic ray flux. Due to the fact that the cosmic ray flux is the "clock" used to exposure date meteorites, the meteoritic ages are predicted to cluster around periods when the "clock" ticks slower, which is when the cosmic ray flux was lowest, as is seen in the data.

2. Cosmic Rays vs. CO2 as a climate driver over geological time scales:

By comparing cosmic ray flux variations to a quantitative record of climate history, more conclusions can be drawn. This was done together with Jan Veizer, whose group reconstructed the temperature on Earth over the past 550 million years by looking at 18O to 16O isotope ratios in fossils formed in tropical oceans. The following astonishing results were found once the reconstructed temperature was compared with the reconstructed cosmic ray flux variations:

1. Cosmic Ray Flux variations explain more than 2/3's of the variance in the reconstructed temperature. Namely, Cosmic Ray Flux variability is the most dominant climate driver over geological time scales.
2. An upper limit can be placed on the relative role of CO2 as a climate driver.
3. Using point #2, an upper limit can be place on the global "radiative forcing" sensitivity - the ratio between changes to the radiation budget and ensuing temperature increase. The upper limit obtained is lower than often stated value. This implies that a large fraction of the global warming witnessed over the past century is not due to CO2. Instead, it should be attributable to the increased solar activity which diminished the cosmic ray flux reaching Earth (It has nothing to do with spiral arms as some people misquote me!).

fig5.jpg

Figure 5: Comparison between the reconstructed cosmic ray flux and the quantitative temperature reconstruction over the Phanerozoic: The top panel describes the reconstructed Cosmic Ray Flux variations over the past 500 Million years using the exposure ages Iron Meteorites. The bottom panel depicts in black, the reconstructed tropical ocean temperature variations using isotope data from fossils. The red line is the fit to the temperature using the cosmic ray flux variations. The notable fit implies that most of the temperature variations can be explained using the cosmic ray flux, and not a lot is left to be explained by other climate factors, including CO2. This implies that cosmic rays are the dominant (tropical) climate driver over the many million year time scale.

Note however:

* Some of the global warming is still because of us humans (probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of the warming)
* There are many good reasons why we should strive towards using less fossil fuels and more clean alternatives, even though global warming is not the main reason.
* A more recent analysis, which includes: (a) Corrections to the temperature reconstruction due to ocean pH variations, and (b) more empirical comparisons between actual temperature variations and changes in the radiative budget further constrain the global sensitivity to about 1-1.5°C change for CO2 doubling (as compared with the 1.5-4.5°C with the "commonly accepted range" of the IPCC, obtained from global circulation models).

3. Cosmic Rays and the Faint Sun Paradox:

The sun, like other stars of its type, is slowly increasing its energy output as it converts its Hydrogen into Helium. 4.5 Billion years ago, the sun was 30% fainter than it is today and Earth should have been frozen solid, but it wasn't. This problem was coined as the "Faint Sun Paradox" by Carl Sagan.

If the Cosmic Ray Flux climate link is real, it significantly extenuates this discrepancy. This is because the young sun, which was rotating much faster, necessarily had a much stronger solar wind. This implies that less cosmic rays from the galaxy could have reached Earth because cosmic rays lose energy in the solar wind as they propagate from the interstellar medium to Earth. Since less cosmic rays implies a higher temperature, this effect will tend to compensate for the fainter sun.

Plugging in the numbers reveals that about 2/3's of the temperature increase required to warm the young Earth to above today's temperature, can be explained with this effect. The remaining 1/3 or so, can be explained with moderate amounts of greenhouse gases, such as 0.01 bar of CO2 (amounts which are consistent with geological constraints), or some NH3 or CH4.

(see article for bibliography and sources)

Ketter

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
8 Nov 2008
Some of the global warming is still because of us humans (probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of the warming)

So the topic title should read: some to half of climate change might be attributed to a cosmic feature.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Yes, that would be more accurate. I changed it from "Climate change, a cosmic feature" to "Climate change, in part a cosmic feature."

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Actually, "some to half of climate change might be attributed to a cosmic feature" is not correct. It's "more than half of climate change is", rather than "some to half of climate change might be" a cosmic feature.

JJJ

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
17 Avr 2004
I do not really understand the link between this theory and recent climate warming. This theory is about climate changes that happen over millions of years, whereas recent warming is something of the past decades or perhaps the past 100 years. I think that there is no evidence whatsoever that in this recent period there have been significant changes in cosmic radiation. If there would have been, I guess it would have been shown in this article as an evidence.... And as a second point, I think it is a bit delusive to present this correlation between cosmic radiation and global temperature in the past, as an important argument for the hypothesis that global temparature is driven by astronomical phenomena. Because this is already generally accepted, for example in the theory of the Milankovic cycles (cycles in the track of the earth around the sun) which have caused the recent ice ages (on a scale of not millions, but 10.000s of years). In the article, it sounds a bit like scientists think that only CO2 can cause changes in global climate, whereas I think it is generally accepted that no climate changes in the past have been due to changes in CO2 at all. Furthermore, correlations are always a very weak 'evidence' for a mechanism, scientifically, when there is no proven physical relationship (this has always been a major weak point of cosmic radiation vs. climate change theories). There are so many cycles and variations in nature that you can always find hundreds of types of remarkably high correlations between features that have no physical link whatsoever.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Did you really read the article? I think it draws different conclusions from the ones you mention.

JJJ

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
17 Avr 2004
Hmm, I always tend to react a bit emotional and maybe even biased, when it's about articles and theories that have a smell of 'climate scepticism'... Sorry for that, because I do think this is an interesting article. The correlation between cosmic radiation and global temperatures is interesting, although I don't know really what it can imply...And that's what I mean. The mechanism, as it is decribed here, which would increase global temperatures by the ionization of tropospheric particles due to cosmic radiation, I think is far from proven. As the article mentions, it has only been 'suggested' and nothing more. In that context, the author should be very careful with any conclusions drawn from the discovered correlation. While I think he isn't careful at all, drawing conclusions on a completely different timescale, in completely different circumstances etc. I think he's heading far beyond the boundaries of reasonable, serious science.

Mainly, regarding the conclusions in "2. Cosmic Rays vs. CO2 as a climate driver over geological time scales", I just cannot understand them. The author speaks about a more active sun causing 1/2 to 2/3 of the recent warming as if it were a sure thing, while as I said above, I think it is just very unreasonable to draw any firm conclusions in this context. Furthermore, I don't see why there would be an 'upper boundary' to CO2-induced warming that the author knows and which the IPCC has apparently forgotten about. For one thing, he should know that while CO2 likely is the main cause of global warming, ouside of increased radiative forcing there are many many dynamical things going on as well. There are some very strong positive feedbacks present in the system which could just double the effect of increased CO2 radiative forcing. It's complicated stuff :) . In my opinion, he is making the whole problem just a bit too simple.

Ketter

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
8 Nov 2008
Hmm, I always tend to react a bit emotional and maybe even biased, when it's about articles and theories that have a smell of 'climate scepticism'

Sceptisism aimed at posts discrediting human caused global warming is not biased, it's just common sense in a time where the people who know their shit and actually graduated on 'this stuff', have a hard time getting as much media attention as all the shady, hazy, maybe theories going on. But it's not rocket science, just realize that 90% of the people who know what they are talking about, agree on what is going on and what we need to do. It's the remaining 10% that consists of splintered opinions ranging from 'it's the Maya's', it's 2012, or 'part of it is due to a cosmic or other universal feature'. There're also still people looking at alternative causes for UFO abductions, even after Strasmann's research. Fun to read, but it hardly matters anymore, to me anyway.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Hmm, I always tend to react a bit emotional and maybe even biased, when it's about articles and theories that have a smell of 'climate scepticism'... Sorry for that, because I do think this is an interesting article.
Right, the article should be judged for its content, not lumped together with other theories. A scientific mind means to be as unbiased, i.e. as openminded as possible.

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
A lecturer of mine once gave me a bit of cynical advice:

(and I paraphrase)

"If you ever want to make wads of cash in science, don't be objective, don't try to better the human race's understanding: find an issue which everyone is in agreement with and take the exact opposite stance; defending the idea to the hilt; every one will cite you because they want to refute your claims, the media will constantly be paying you for interviews, and any book you write on the subject will sell millions."

Here's a good summary some of the things going on in the climate change investigation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/sci ... efault.stm

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Pariah a dit:
A lecturer of mine once gave me a bit of cynical advice:

(and I paraphrase)

"If you ever want to make wads of cash in science, don't be objective, don't try to better the human race's understanding: find an issue which everyone is in agreement with and take the exact opposite stance; defending the idea to the hilt; every one will cite you because they want to refute your claims, the media will constantly be paying you for interviews, and any book you write on the subject will sell millions."
The implication being that whomever has taken a stance that somehow opposes the majority must be doing so for money and not care about the human race's understanding? What point are you trying to make?

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
"What point are you trying to make?"

No point specifically, just throwing ideas out there, if we're going to be open minded about things, we may as well cover every possibility :)

My own theory of climate change involves Terrorist Leprechauns and Space Zebras, and their obvious effect on the population of butterflies (which ofcourse changes climate through the application of chaos theory) it hasn't caught on in the scientific community yet, but you just wait!

I personally agree with what JJJ has said, so no need to make any points.

I could go into a few things, but I'm in a bit of a silly mood tonight, so I'll restrain myself :P

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Questions raised here, and others, are discussed by the author on this page:

http://www.sciencebits.com/ClimateDebate

Detailed responses can be found here:

http://www.phys.huji.ac.il/~shaviv/ClimateDebate/RoyerReply/RoyerReply.html
http://www.phys.huji.ac.il/~shaviv/ClimateDebate/RahmReply/RahmReply.html
http://www.sciencebits.com/JahnkeResponse

I get the feeling these are sincere people (notice I wasn't introduced to this theory through an article, but by hearing the researchers explain the process of discovery on TV), not driven by any preconceived notions.