Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Bong Smoke Better?

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Is smoking from a bong "better" for your health or not?

I just put my joint (wich is pure, with no tobacco what so ever) in the hole, I don't use the metal raster, and I smoke it that way.

Does it make any difference for your health?

Ilian

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Fev 2006
yes, it does

the water purifies the smoke a bit, just smell the water after using it and youll know what you normally inhale :)

G

Invité
Plus, the fact that you don't add tobaco is also a nice thing for your health ;)

Ilian

Inscrit
14 Fev 2006
well, that could be discussed :p
i think it doesnt matter if you smoke pure weed or a cigarette, as both contain dirty stuff (dunno names in english :< ) and weed is supposed to contain more of those than tobacco. the only thing that matters is the addiction you get from nicotine.
i think smoking pure hash is already a lot healthier:
its an extract, so its stronger (need to take less hits)
it has less damaging stuff because its purer (less harm)

of course i agree its better to smoke pure than with tobacco, but i dont think it really matters for your lungs.. but i have only to take 1 to 3 big hits of my bong and im high as a kite, while i consider myself a pretty experienced stoner

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I think smoking a bong is worse for your lungs because you inhale massive amounts of smoke very deeply. The smoke is purified, yes, but that doesn't help because you get more of it much deeper into your lungs than with a joint.
And I always used tobacco in my bong (most people do). I actually got hooked to nicotine that way more than I ever got with cigarettes...

Kwarkfanaat

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
2 Jan 2006
I think it doesn't differ that much. But I do know that smoking through a bong, or hookah is alot nicer 8) . And for me it feels healthier.. and that's all that matters; doesn't it?

Just believe... :D

PeterPlanteneter

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
9 Oct 2006
tryptonaut a dit:
I think smoking a bong is worse for your lungs because you inhale massive amounts of smoke very deeply. The smoke is purified, yes, but that doesn't help because you get more of it much deeper into your lungs than with a joint.
And I always used tobacco in my bong (most people do). I actually got hooked to nicotine that way more than I ever got with cigarettes...

I can't agree with that, you can inhale deeper with a bong, but like bombski said, you don't take as many hits.. So it wouldn't matter much..
Though a bong cools the smoke, so it doesn't burns your longs hard.

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Tiax a dit:
Plus, the fact that you don't add tobaco is also a nice thing for your health ;)

Yea, it stinks... :)
I just recently got myself to quit tobacco, wich was harder then I thought it would be, I stopped smoking first and then I quit throwing tobacco in my joints, and now when I'm at home, I just roll a pure joint put it in the bong and smoke it.And my lungs don't hurt anymore...it taste's different too.More purified.

I roll one first cause I heard that the little metal "plate with hole's in it" causes you to inhale more arcenium, chrome and nickle...Dunno.
It make's me feel much more high too.

Well, thanks for the reply's, I think it might be a little better for the health, well, I hope. :)

Kwarkfanaat

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
2 Jan 2006
Hehehe, I'm glad you're a bit convinced. ;)
Don't forget:

Keep on smoking! :wink:

Thanatos

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
13 Mai 2003
Smoke from tabacco or cannabis both contain tars / particulate matter, which provoke an immune-response which can lead to a less functional alveolar lining in the lung.
There are also carcinogenic compounds in the smoke (mainly combustion products), and nowadays there seems to be some discussion going on about the amount of carcinogens present in the smoke from cannabis compared to tabacco.

I found an interesting paper about this subject, in short:

Smoke from cannabis contains more carcinogenic compounds, but is less carcinogenic, then tabbaco-smoke because the latter contains nicotine. Normally, when a cell is transformed into a cancercell (by components in the smoke), it kills itself by a proces called apoptosis. When nicotine binds to its receptor, apoptosis is inhibited, so the cancerous cell is allowed to grow into a tumor.
In addition to this, cannabinoids seem to prevent the activation of procarcinogenic compounds, while nicotine seem to stimulate this proces.
Furhtermore, nicotine promotes more processes related to cancer, while cannabinoids seem to inhibit them, like the formation of bloodvessels in tumors.

The nett result will be that smoke from cannabis is less - and from tobacco is more - carcinogenic then can be expected from chemical analysis of the smoke alone.

In conclusion:

A joint is actually the worse case scenario because it contains a higher amount of tars and carcinogens because of the cannabis, and it also contains nicotin.

A bong / waterpipe contains a higher amount of tars and carcinogens, but no nicotin.

A vaporizer contains the least amount of tars and carcinogens, and no nicotin.

So, when you do make a joint, it is better to put a lot of weed in it, that way you have to take less hits.

And when you smoke pure cannabis through a bong / waterpipe, it would be better to not inhale very deep, because cannabinoids will be absorbed in a few seconds, so holding the smoke for long in your lungs doesn't make you more stoned, it is only worse for your lungs.

I thought this might be of interest for people who wonder what is the best way of smoking your cannabis. Decide for yourself!

Source:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1277837

Granola_man

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
12 Fev 2007
Just curious here, what is meant by adding tobacco to your joints? Do you add rolling tobacco as a blend with your herb?
That must be a distinctly european thing to do. Unfortunately, myself and other american stoner hippies often engage in smoking our weed in blunts which is probably the worst thing you could ever do to your lungs.

Thanatos

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
13 Mai 2003
Yes, the way I do it, and is done mostly here in the Netherlands (I don't know about other Europian countries) is to mix the weed or hashish with tobacco. This way everything burns better, and it feels more comfortable to your lungs.
At the end of the joint we put a paperfilter.

G

Invité
i must say that in portugal we do the same thing. when i was a kid, i used to make experiences with different tobaccos and the highs that they gave me with the same amount of hashish :lol:

i didn't had anything else to do, as you might imagine.

silv

Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
I think what we in holland call joints, you guys in the usa call spliffs? Whatever really :p

sopor

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Granola_man, let me ask you a question... How do you smoke hash? Bong/pipe only? For me a joint with hash (and tobaco ofcourse) with coffe is one of the finest things :bear:

I guess mixing weed with tobacco is a custom all over Europe. Dunno about England though...

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
best way to smoke hash is making beats... lemme explain (looks like we are the only ones here in Quebec who smoke it that way... it stones a lot more with little quantities of hash...)

You take an empty water bottle, and burn a little hole on its side (diameter a little bit bigger than a cigarette). Then you cut you hash into small pieces, light a cigarette and stick a piece of hash on its extremity. After a few seconds it's gonna start smoking, then you just have to put the cigarette's end in the bottle through the hole and let the smoke accumulate in it. When the hash is all consumed you remove the cigarette, remove the bottle cap and inspire the smoke

Sorry if it's a little bit hard to understand, english isn't my mother language ;)

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
well, that could be discussed Razz
i think it doesnt matter if you smoke pure weed or a cigarette, as both contain dirty stuff (dunno names in english :< ) and weed is supposed to contain more of those than tobacco. the only thing that matters is the addiction you get from nicotine.

Nope, weed does not give you lungcancer, tobacco does.

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
Bongs are by far the better way to smoke (i didn't say vaporise :))
they filter, cool and contain the smoke as to reduce waste, induce a greater effect and make the hit generaly worthwhile overall.

Yet the method of inhalation is the one of, if not the most, inportant aspect of using a bong; small and many 'hits' from a single cone or joint is more damaging over the long term: much more particulate is smeered on the inner surface of the lung and airway as to make it worse for you. This smearage can be seen on the inner wall of your bong, dont let that be your insides!

Taking a decently (Im talking full :D) packed bowl in one big go is your best bet, dont hold the smoke in, esspecialy if using tobacco (use herbal smoking blends!) and just exhale. one motion. That way its the smoothest and most efficent blast, lol.
If you cant handle a large one at first, work your way up. For long term smokers or for those who have a puff on a regular basis should try to refine their methods; best as u can get guys!

Psilocybine

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
25 Juin 2007
I guess it is... You see, as the other dutch guy told you you should smell the water afterwards. Most of the tar (Dutch translation=teer) gets to the top of the water and the largest amounst of excrete Carbon are dissolved before they reach the surface of the water, but pure oxygen and THC are able to reach you lungs. So I think it's better. It is true that you smoke larger amounts, and definitly watch out for not hitting the bong too much when you're entirely stoned or druk already..
But I doubt it's worse than actual Joints. I built one myself and if you put the exhaust deeply enough under the waterfilter, I think it can actually be better for you.
But smoking a bong is also just fun. You can take very large shots, and on a multiple bong with several people... And you can add a flavour to the water!
Don't worry too much dude~!
Smoking MJ and Hasj is something too good for your mental and body-health to really worry about ;)