Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Becoming a vegetarian

ProStoner

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
hey

I have made up my mind...
I want to become a vegetarian ..
and I just cannot keep supporting the way it goes
its bad karma... really bad karma
and not just that there's 1001 other reasons

but here's the thing
the main that kept me from becoming a vegetarian
is that I really have a problem with eating vegetables
I dislike most of them.. so I guess I will have to learn to eat them anyways
I don't want to become a veganist.. atleast that's not on my mind
because I think that's 2 extreme .. and it would lead my life 2 much
but anyways
does anyone have like good recipes and tips for cooking vegetables
and I want to learn more about what I should eat or not .. and why
I`m gonna do a lot of research about it myself
but any help is welcome

the reason I came to this decision is a couple of topics I read about it..
and my conscience is starting to speak up
also I just watched a movie while under influence of dxm .. which actually broadened my thinking .. and totally make up my mind about a couple things

G

Invité
Well, I wondered alot about if I should turn into a vegetarian, but I the end I realised that the human is an omnivore, so the whole "bad karme" stuff turned irrelevant to me...

I mean, I wouldn't say that a wolf have a bad karma because he ate a sheep...

This of course my personal opinion and I don't try/want to convince anyone to stop beeing vegetarian....

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
the human might be an omnivore...
but its the way that we get the meat

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Do you know how we get our wheat, barley, rye or any other grain? With big ass machines that tear up the plants and consequently kill thousands of snakes, mice, rabbits, moles, voles, groundhogs, weasels, skunks and all sorts of other animals. But is anyone worried about them? Who's gonna stick up for the snakes? Does anyone care about the skunks? NO. Everyone's so upset about the poor cows. I think they have it pretty good. They don't have to look over their shoulders constantly to make sure they're not being stalked by a hungry predator. They get to live out their lives, happily chewing grass in a sunny field, with not a care in the world. Then when they die, they go to feed other animals (people), they're not dying without a reason. It's not like we're killing them just to make leather jackets. It's part of the food chain. Circle of life and what not. Unless your growing all your own vegetables and grains, you have a hand in killing just as many animals as us meat eaters.

Would it be any more humane if we all went out and killed our own food? Shoot a deer, rabbit or bear and then track it down. Sometimes you don't find the animal for several hours later when it's finally bled to death. I used to go hunting with my uncle and grand father and I think that is a much worse way for an animal to die than just getting a quick electrical shock and being done with it.

But more power to you if that's what you want to do. I say fuckin' go for it. Like I've said before, my wife's been vegetarian for 4 years and I love it. I don't eat nearly as much meat as I used to and because cutting out meat sort of limits your selection when you go out to a restaurant, we usually eat at home. We're constantly making new, delicious dinners and trying new things. I love me some black bean burgers, polenta and vegetarian gumbo. I still can't deal with tofu, though. Her being veg makes us both eat better; we buy organic everything and all whole foods, not too many processed things. It really makes you examine everything you put into your body more closely. It's just a shame that cows and chickens are just so damn tasty.

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
i`m really not gonna go in discussion with you :)
u can do that with Forest in that other topic
and i`m not eating that dirty Tofu shit lol :)
cause I really dont like that
and also i`m gonna watch what I eat because of health problems..
which are serious enough to start caring :)

G

Invité
ProStoner a dit:
and also i`m gonna watch what I eat because of health problems..

Well, eating meat everyday is a bad thing for your health, the human is supposed to eat meat like 1 or 2 times a week, another time some fish, and for the other days just vegetables, fruits and stuff like that...

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
I mostly forage on sticks and berries.

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
And Pro: I was hardly trying to convince you otherwise. Ithink it's a fantastic idea and you will no doubt feel better because of it. I was only debating with forest because he called me "a sick twisted fuck" for eating meat. You on the other hand are not trying to convince ME to go veggie so I'm not about to argue with you over something that is most definitely a healthy decision. If you can stick to it, then you're the man. I'll even PM you some of my favorite recipes.

Nathaniel

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
16 Jan 2006
Hey ProStoner

congratulations on your decision.I became vegeterian about 5 years ago,just by doing the math: making a list of cons and pro's on eating meat.
About your problem with eating vegetables,just don't cook 'm the dutch way (boil till tasteless,lifeless sloppy gue remains) but instead throw 'm in a wok (don't know the english word for that...hmm maybe "wok" is universal actually) for just a few minutes. And with tofu it's al about the seasening.

and Brewmaster....Cows,happily chewing grass in a sunny field?

...dream on...

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
I think it's stupid to talk about if humans are omnivors and these things. When I look to myself I am not an animal that only can follow instinct. The important question is 'what do you think it's good in life' and is it still healty? If you substain from meat you have to follow a more stricter diet to get everything you need. The only thing that plants don't have or humans can make is vitamine B12(as far as I know), that's why I see see it as unnaturrally to be vagnist because you need supplements. I think the most important thing is that you eat enoug milk, cheese and eggs. The thing I advise you is too look to the indian kitchen or some other countries that have alot of vegetarians( like the caribiean). I hope you life near a city so that you can't go to a toko cause it makes it a lot easier to find all kind species and vegetables.

Good luck

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
another thing, you must remain realistic! myself thinks it unnessecary to eat meat and eaven unhealthy with all the deseases. I don't see it as part of a food chain that in a factory every second a chicken is killed that is grown to 2 kg in 30 days to be killed. As for the animals at the land, I hope you have a good solution to survive in this world of consumption and materialism with six billion people without getting food without machines. I didn't make this world but you can try to make a little change starting with yourself and not always following the mass cause it's easy.

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Nathaniel a dit:
About your problem with eating vegetables,just don't cook 'm the dutch way (boil till tasteless,lifeless sloppy gue remains) but instead throw 'm in a wok (don't know the english word for that...hmm maybe "wok" is universal actually)

Yeah, a wok is a wok no matter where you go. Another nice thing to have is a bamboo steemer that you can throw on top of a rack over top a wok with some water in it. I love me some steemed vegetables. Stir fry is also scrumptious.

Jahvisions said: "As for the animals at the land, I hope you have a good solution to survive in this world of consumption and materialism with six billion people without getting food without machines."

See no one cares about all the little ugly animals. :( What? They're not as important as a chicken? Do they not have feelings? I'm not getting dragged into this again so I'll leave you all alone to discuss. I don't want to drip any barbecue sauce on this thread. :D

ciao

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
Of course I realize that animals are killed then too, but what can you do? You really think it possible that we all grow our own food?

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
Brew; I`ll be happy to receive some recipes from your mate :)

Nathaniel; Thank you, it will not be easy .. since I am a total meat lover haha
but I think I will feel much better when I get used to it...
also I love cooking with a wok .. and I allready did that today :)

Jahvisions; I will stay very realistic about things.. I have been thinking about this
subject for a very long time, and there was a time that I really did not think
about not eating meat .. I was just like most pro meateaters :)
but now that I made this decision I feel good about myself and I will find my own place in this
world with my new diet and lifestyle, i've never had a problem with
that before :)

I used to eat meat every day .. and I barely ate vegetables
I live a very unhealthy existance,in a couple of words "respectless to my body"
if I did not eat meat something was definitly missing
and I would not feel fulfilled the rest of the evening
but now that I decided it ends here ... I don't have such a big problem with not eating meat tonight.
and I will indeed need to look for B12 containing things .. that are not meat:)
but i`m sure that won't be my hardest thing to conquer :)

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
It's entirely possible for many people to live off the land. I know I could live off of what I grow in MY garden; I'd get sick of eating broccoli and tomatoes but I could expand to potatoes and some other things. I don't have room for grain so I gues I just wouldn't have it but since I do sell veggies at the local farmer's maket I could probably trade with one of the local bakers for some bread every once in a while.

The truth is, anyone could live off of beans and potatoes which you could grow in your own yard but you choose not too. It would be too big of an inconvenience and you like the fact that you can go to the store and buy everything you need. You just ignore the fact that the food you eat came at the price of another being's demise and then look down on meat eaters for munching on an animal that was raised for the purpose. That's just being a hypocrite. And I'm not proposing that everyone should grow their own food, I like the way things work right now. I like having that variety of foods. And I don't mind that animals are killed every now and again so that I may continue to live. Animals die all the time. It has to happen. Sad but true.

So don't bombard me with negativity. When a cow is killed, nothing is wasted, we get food and clothing from the wonderful bovine, while the animals killed in the grain harvesting process are just plain killed. And to those "vegetarians" that still eat fish: you're the biggest hypocrites of all if you think the meat industry is cruel and disgusting. If you had any idea how many dolphins and porpoises, sea turtles and hudreds of other fishes are snagged in the nets of fishing boats that are fishing for something else and just killed and thrown overboard.....well, you wouldn't be giving me any shit. But no one cares about the fishes either.

I love all you guys, but if our plane crashed on top of a snow covered mountain; I'd eat any one of you by day 3. :D

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
I totally agree with you that forest really crossed a line there... but I guess u could just not have responded to him when he started acting like that
but anyways
just so u know brew :) I don't, all of the sudden look down on meat eaters haha
that would be so incredibly hypocrite, and I never will
and in my defence .. I never ate fish anyways. . but not for reasons they were fishing empty the sea's , I just don't like things that come from the sea :)
but I will surtainly try to avoid eating fish in any meal at all..
cause I really hate the fact that ... apart from emptying the seas... that all those other beautifull animals die because of it..
or like sharkfin soup ... I mean even you could not eat that could u brew ??
if u see what is done to those poor animals... their fins cut off and thrown back into the sea, helplessly

how could people be that heartless anyway...

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
If a shark ever bit my arm off while surfing and I was able to somehow wrestle him out of the water and kick his fishy ass..........then I might make some shark fin soup. But no, I've never tried it.

petfles

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
4 Oct 2005
Go pro!

For all reading:

I haven't seen this docu myself yet but i heard it can make you think about you diet and is in the style of Baraka without a narrator:

OUR DAILY BREAD is a wide-screen tableau of a feast which isn't always easy to digest - and in which we all take part. A pure, meticulous and high-end film experience that enables the audience to form their own ideas

http://www.mininova.org/tor/529770

[/quote]

ProStoner

Inscrit
18 Juin 2004
its quite funny that u mention baraka :)
the friend I watched the movie with .. had also told me about baraka..
when I told him I had this new movie he had to see :)
and I explained to him what it was about .. he first thought it was baraka
haha .. though baraka I still have to see

waaait a minute .. I never mentioned what movie I watched
and still u mention baraka ?? this makes it even more weird :)
cause the movie I saw is called "Koyaanisqatsi"
so if I understand u right .. its a small "coeincedence" that u name baraka :)

petfles

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
4 Oct 2005
It is a strange world after all :)

For example yesterday, i had to do a presentation about objectivity in science. I choose the subject quantom physics. Because of an error some other guy thought he had to do a presentation and brought his laptop with the movie What the Bleep do we know. Haha, so we shared our time.

I'm downloading "our daily bread" right now...(have you seen naqoyqatsi already btw?)