Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Are drugs a legitimate means of self-improvement?

Pez

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
10 Avr 2008
I'll come back and share my thoughts in a bit but I was just having this discussion with some friends and wanted to get some more perspective on it.

Thoughts?

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
No . Not in and from themselves . They can possibly be a tool though if used in the right way to do it .

JJJ

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
17 Avr 2004
Yes :D . I have seen many people use them as a tool and benefit, including myself. So, for many people they work for self-improvement, and if you apply them well, there are no risks or side-effects.

If you would doubt their legitimacy as a tool, I think you should first consider why they wouldn't be legitimate. ('Why not' 8) ) Then usually you get irrational arguments like 'well, they give unnatural experiences', or 'using drugs for self-improvement is like a cheat', which to me are only a distraction from the core idea: they work as a tool, proofs are all around to tell you, so why not, if it feels good for you?

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
They can be used as tools and can be very helpfull but just taking drugs doesnt always lead to positive developement .

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
definitely tools.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Agree. There is no magic pill.

What do you mean by legitimate?
What do you mean by improvement?
What do you mean by self?
What do you mean by drugs?

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
It depends on the INTENT of the will.

If one INTENDS to improve the self, they CAN help.

If one INTENDS to think one is perfect, and the world is a rose garden, then NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING will help.

One must first sense the innate imperfection of reality and the self in order to desire change and improvement.

This is why people like 'ellisdee' are not/cannot be helped by LSD, no matter how high the dose.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
maybe improvement should be replaced with change? Improvement is highly subjective and case sensitive...

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Many psychoactives can be, depending on the individual. In the farmaceutical literature, psychoactives, no matter their status or regulation, are classified as 'drugs'. From asprine to heroin.

The pharmacy is formulating in terms as 'the drug was administrated orally' in the test results with volunteers on potential pharms that may get a patent. As well as the huge archives about all medical data.

I could get a doctors prescription for pharmaceutical THC since I'm a tourette patient. But don't want to. I'm using the plant material as a medicine during weekends, not smoking, but eating it. And it's definitely the best treatment available. After the effects have wored off, there remains a natural rest in my motor-control for about a few days up to a week.

During my childhood I got prescriptions for Dixarit (Clonidine) and Orap (Pimozide), effective, but as a side effect I slept all day, numbed thoughts. Completely neglecting many obligations which left me with lower education papers than I should have. It was also expensive, not that I had to pay, but still.

I also have been on haloperidol for a short time in my early childhood, whoever made that should get his head ripped off. As well the prescriptors of this worthless material.

So, it's typically that serenity and peace which psychedelics have opened in me, which is the best treatment I have ever experienced. I'll never give them up. I'm even simply satisfied with my overactivity of the dopamine receptor all day, I just need the side effects (movements) eliminated.

I don't get why psychotic episodes are linked to the use psychedelics or reported by some individuals, I gain the rest out of them and that's exactly what I need as a treatment. It helped me for years and I hope that all my tics have vanished by the time I'm 40.

I do believe however, that if LSD is given under the right circumstances, with the right preparation, to the right type of people, this opened peace is accepted as 'the proper way to live'. Albert had done this very succesfully from 1950 till 1961.

Horrigan

Banni
Inscrit
26 Mai 2007
Some, yes, others, no.
Cocaine, yes.
Heroin, no.
Anti-depressants, yes.

Cannabis ?
Hallucinogens ?
Dissociatives ?
Maybe.

Libertine

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
12 Fev 2009
Yes and no and dependent on the drug. They can be a great tool for self improvement in the right circumstances. Other times they can just be a crutch when people want to hide from their problems. When I say 'they' I am referring to what I call the 'natural drugs', those being cannabis and mushrooms. Most of the man made chemicals are very destructive since most of them are extremely physically addictive, sans LSD, and destroy the mind and body...alcohol being the most destructive of the ones devised by man.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
I always find the arguments in this field somewhat humorous and cyclical.

Anti-drug warriors will assert that no, drugs are a cheat. For drugs to be a cheat, that means they would actually have to work, and have beneficial effects. But the antidrug warrior will then assert that the drugs have no beneficial effects and are harmful. In which case, they couldn't possibly be a cheat.

Personally, I take any drug with intent, seeking it's effect, whether it be my morning coffee, a painkiller, or.. an occasional dose of mushrooms.

I wouldn't classify the mushrooms as a cheat. There's no way of getting to where mushrooms can take you--without taking mushrooms. (Unless you decide to live an ascetic lifestyle your whole life and almost die of starvation like Antonin Gaudi..)

However, I would classify my morning cup of coffee as a cheat. A good run of 15 minutes would get me there, and probably even better.

Libertine

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
12 Fev 2009
Funny you should mention coffee. I just read that it was found to have mildly hallucinogenic properties especially in quantities. It's a drug just like any other...

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
Well, they've definitely worked for me :D

(as long as I don't get too carried away!)

@Libertine yeah I saw that article as well. Caffeine is SO a drug, so I say while finishing my morning cup.. buzzed out of my mind :P

Ahuaeynjxs

Inscrit
10 Déc 2008
Here 12 yo kids get amped up on it from energy drinks available over the counter... they can forget about having cigarettes, but if they make a nice smile they'll get 4 cofee's worth of caffeine !

They even make rave parties for minors 14 and up now, where they sell those things too... they get so high their teeth are clenching, and all this is supported by society.

We'll have a big mess on our hands soon. My words do not convey...

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
agreed, they almost might as well be taking speed

Ahuaeynjxs

Inscrit
10 Déc 2008
Thats what I think also... at least it's less hard on the liver and they could regulate the dose medically. Like yeah kid we know you're gonna get high so here you have a coupon and once every semester, you get a dose of real good shit, but in exchange you allow us to verify you don't get addicted to another source by testing you.

We're so deep into it that it might be the only way to save face.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
yes, drugs are so deeply integrated into society, we need to deal with them rather than ignore tham