Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Anyone watching the anime series Ghost Hound?

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
Anyone watching the anime series Ghost Hound? I've recently begun watching it, I'm through to episode 8 now and, as usual, got to give those Japanese credit for doing their homework.

It deals a lot with the workings of the brain, Out of Body Experiences and the paranormal. So I guess that's parapsychology and neurology? In the episode I just watched they talked about a researcher that could make you experience 'god', so I looked his name up on the internet and found out that by stimulating people's temporal lobes artificially with a weak magnetic field (that was quoted, I don't even know what temporal lobes are, but obviously they reside in the brain ;) ) he could make the subject experience a god like presence or something. His name's Michael Persinger btw.

Anyway, I find it really interesting. Also the fact that all the scientific stuff they talk about is actually real. Just as in the anime series Serial Experiments Lain, which I also like very much. I should post a screenshot of that bug-drug they show in one of the episodes... anyway, people from Lain and Ghost in the Shell have worked on Ghost Hound as far as I understand. So if you're into anime or just interested and can stand some long dialogues, go watch!

st.bot.32

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
Hey, I used to be a pretty big japanese animation fan at one point. Seen Lain.. haven't seen ghost hound tho..

Dream imagery, mind-altering sequences are a huge part of anime, Akira's hallucinations springs to mind for me as some of the neatest sequences I've seen in that vein.. soo many psychedelic references in that movie, Paprika that just came out last year is another one.. the whole movie is a "synonym" for psychedelic drug use.

My favorite mind-altering sequences are probably the ones that happen to the main character in Ghost In the Shell--Innocence.. the audience isn't directly told this is happening (until later), reality warps into the weird headspaces the character is in..

I also remember an episode of Cowboy Bebop (A lot like Joss Whedon's Firefly but came out 5 years earlier.. as in cowboys in space, etc) where they find a stash of magic mushrooms and as they are so hungry and not recognizing them they end up tripping out for half the episode.. in the end instead of trying to get the bounty on the drug dealer they just try to steal his stash.. pretty funny...

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
That Paprika-movie sure sounds interesting (looked up the details on the internetz)... thanks for the tip!

Regarding Cowboy Bebop, I've seen the whole series--I even own it--but I couldn't remember the episode you're talking about. A little search through Gugglz refreshed my mind though. Guess I didn't understand it at that time since I wasn't into psychedelics yet...

Customer, who just announced he's going to kill the dealer: "My big bro ate a mushroom he bought from you, and laughed and laughed, and twisted his intestines to death!"
Mushroom seller *nods*: "A happy way to die."
Edo: Njahaha! ( <-- a weird kind of laugh )
:lol:

And at the end Jet remarks:
"I now know the secrets of the universe.
By the way... who was I?"

Haha, ego death...

Thanks man, cool to know this is in Cowboy Bebop!

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
st.bot.32 a dit:
Dream imagery, mind-altering sequences are a huge part of anime, Akira's hallucinations springs to mind for me as some of the neatest sequences I've seen in that vein.. soo many psychedelic references in that movie, Paprika that just came out last year is another one.. the whole movie is a "synonym" for psychedelic drug use.
Ah, I see it's from the director of Perfect Blue... that's one pretty psycho movie itself!

But you're right, (a certain part of) Japanese animation plays with these things a lot. I guess that's one of the reason I used to watch it in the first place... because it had deep, psychological and spiritual storylines. Only Akira and Ghost in the Shell didn't really do it for me, even though they are praised so much. I understand why though, after treating these movies in anime class at university (Japanese studies).

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
thanks for paprika and perfect blue ... i will get them :D

i don't know ghoust hound tho... cowboy bebop is amazing!!! i remember the episode with the shrooms ... so cool :D

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
Wow, just watched Paprika. Niiiiice one, hehe. Trippy & a little bit of a mind fuck as well. Liked it a lot!

Btw, Ghost Hound is being subtitled by Shinsen Subs.