Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Any general advice?

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
-IF- somebody were interested in cultivation, what strain would be best for a first-time grower with little background in mycology? Speaking theoretically of course...

ASSUMING one had done one's homework, and was fairly serious, is there a particular strain that would be recommended in terms of overall hardiness, yield, potency, etc?

Thanks~

S.

silmendil

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
19 Août 2004
Hi ! I believe the easiest way to start is with a ready-kit of Cubensis. The best, if you have cold and humid fall (ca. 10 Celsius) is to create a few beds of Azurescens :grin: ... check on the net.

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
Thanks. Is there a particular strain that you would recommend? :blobber:

~~Also... Are there any thoughts on the best way to propagate mycelia, once harvested? Cloning seems to be pretty do-able, are there any major disadvantages to cloning as opposed to using spores (or vice-versa)?

~~Also also: I think I've got a pretty good idea for constructing a simple glove box. One thing that I haven't found much information on, however, is what its optimal size would be. Any thoughts here?

Thanks again!

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
It's not that hard. I started a little over a month ago with Amazonian strain and using standard PF Tek. Growboxes work great but in my mind the more fun way to do it is to start with a spore syringe or even a spore print (which is what I did).

When you start make sure you understand each step you are going to do and follow everything to the letter. www.mycotopia.net is a great community with nice and friendly people who don't get tired of newbie questions.

I started with 16 cakes and only lost one to contamination, they have all been birthed a few days ago and are doing great. In the same time I started experimentation with other substrates (popcorn) and casing.

If you do standard PF Tek you can even grow your mushrooms invitro meaning they will fruit in the jars which greatly reduces the risk of contaminations.

HC

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
Thanks for the tip. I've been studying different Teks pretty thoroughly, and I think I've assembled all of the tools that I'll be needing. I went ahead and ordered a spore syringe of A. Brunnescens (brown button mushrooms, the kind you get at a supermarket) so that I can check my clean procedures-- they're supposed to be pretty hearty (and a good choice for first-time growers), plus they'll be really tasty on a salad and I won't have to worry about Darth Vader crashing thru my door over them. :thumbup: Assuming all goes well, I may try something more exotic or exciting down the road.

Or I may not. We'll see.

My glove box really came together, I'm very pleased with the result. If anybody's interested, here's the short version:

1) Take two plastic lettuce crispers (Tupperware, RubberMaid, etc) with airtight lids, and cut out the bottoms of the bowls, leaving maybe 2" around the rim of each crisper. Make sure the resulting holes are big enough to fit your forearms (or a medium-sized mason jar) through.

2) Flip a clear plastic storage bin on its side. Place the two lettuce crispers on top, right where you want the hand-holes, and trace around their insides. Cut along the lines thus produced.

3) Using plastic weld (available at Wal-Mart, builder's supply, or auto parts stores), firmly affix the 2" rims of the crispers with their corresponding holes in the storage box. Allow the epoxy to completely dry. If necessary, caulk the OUTSIDE of this seal to ensure a good, airtight seal.

That's it. A nifty, re-usable, inexpensive (>$20), and kinda cool-looking glove box. Since it's all plastic, it can easily be sterilized with 10% bleach solution, and the crisper lids can seal off the arm-holes when not in use to maintain a clean environment. All I have to do is remember to wash my arms and forearms with antibiotic soap and don surgical gloves before doing any work.