Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Anti-mckennaism?

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
So when I watched another mckenna video, tree of knowledge excerpt on youtube to be exact, I recalled reading comments on psychonaut of people disliking the holy mckenna.

I mean the guy is praised into the heavens by lots of new-agers and almost has a messiah-status in the new-age culture. But aside from his flaky followers, the man himself makes a lot of sense, and I just can't imagine a psychonaut disagreeing with his ideas.

So all mckenna haters out there, give me arguments and reasons why! :p

Peace.

G

Invité
mckenna had a lot of ideas, what were you thinking of, more specifically ?

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
VerusDeus a dit:
I just can't imagine a psychonaut disagreeing with his ideas.

He made a lot of sense, but he talked a lot of bullshit as well. I liked his general attitude of questioning whatever is generally accepted as truth, but he would have been more enlightening if he was able to perform such a feat on himself.

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
Well, that's the thing I don't know which of his ideas apparently should be irrational. But I know there are people out there who dislike him for some reason, and I want to know why.

Anyone?

At: Forkbender, true not everything he says is completely rational or an absolute truth, but that's the thing he never said you should view his beliefs as the ultimate truth, he just shares his perspective. That's why I can't imagine any psychonaut really disliking him because though some of his ideas are at least somewhat flaky, they are still amusing to say the least.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
" Anti-mckennaism?" sounds just an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bit paranoid to me . ( And reminds me of the "Coincidence" and "One flew over the psychonuts" threads...... )

No one is anti T.M. but a lot of people are against the T.M. fan club with their blind faith and hero worship . The guy was a genius and played a big part in our scene but he wasnt infalable . Towards the end of his life he talked about some realy mentaly confused fringe esoteric wierdo crap like time wank zero and 2012 .

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
Okay, that's what I needed to hear, it's not Mckenna rather the blind followers, who just believe everything he says because he is Mckenna.

Not paranoid at all, just curious actually :lol:

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Not just the blind faith but also some of his ideas .

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
Quote:"VerusDeus" - "I just can't imagine a psychonaut disagreeing with his ideas."

Me stupid, what I meant was dissagreeing with his overall attitude, as he has some rather loony opinions too, like the 2012 thing yeah.

But unlike most religious people or superstitious people he doesn't try to force us to believe his ideas, he shares them for those who are interested. And he does urge his audience to think for themselves.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
McKenna is praised for his ways of looking at things and his eloquence in expressing his ideas, but he's not considered a messiah or guru by those who are enthusiastic about his musings. However, an enthusiast of any sort can be annoying, and so can McKenna enthusiasts. Hence there are some who have had it with McKenna being cited all the time.

Though McKenna had many ideas he admitted were nothing but speculations, he did take his Novelty wave quite seriously, and so do most of his followers. Though the Novelty wave was discovered as a result of contemplating the order of hexagrams in the I-tjing, on regular doses of cubensis. This Timewave Zero ties in with the 2012 thing. I think it's good to keep the two issues separated however. Or keep several issues separated:

- McKenna's discovery in the early '70s of a novelty wave reaching its peak (i.e. the maximum amount of novelty) around December 21, 2012. McKenna didn't elaborate on what might happen, although he did talk on some futuristic possibilities (having to do with nanotechnology etc.).

- The Mayan calendar ending, according to most people who've studied it, on December 21, 2012.

- Several astronomical cycles, including sun spot cycles, related to the year 2012. In other words, solid astronomical data.

- Thousands of people interpreting, predicting or channeling what might happen in the year 2012, and publishing their beliefs wherever they can.

You can appreciate McKenna's work, even dig what he said about the novelty graph, without belonging to or associating with those in the last category. At least that's how I currently feel about it.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Towards the end of his life he talked about some realy mentaly confused fringe esoteric wierdo crap like time wank zero and 2012 .
That's not correct. Terence McKenna came up with the time wave in the early to mid seventees.

G

Invité
personally, i just can't stand the idea that the mushrooms are a gateway to alien minds, to a oversoul. that alien worlds stuff is complete crap to me.
but don't get me wrong. i respect his ideas, but i dislike his followers, as i dislike any kind of follower. he has taught me much, even though i don't agree with some things.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
i like Mckenna. i even like playing with outlandish ideas because though i know them to be outlandish they get me thinking.

id just rather people had their own trips and explored their own minds. i think when people are inexperienced with psychedelics they tend to go into the experience with preconcieved ideas and expections. much better to enter with little expectation. its your mind you are exploring, not what someone else has shown you of theirs. after all Mcenna is only telling you what he wants you to know like any author

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
Despite the fact that some of his idea are a bit weird, I like the guy.

aryaman

Inscrit
29 Sept 2008
things like Shrooms are e.t.,his trips about ufo ecc. I don't really like,but was his ideas.
As someone before me has said,he never pretended to be always right,just was looking around for some truth,with his metod,and was not scared to say thing looking like bullshit.

A nice guy.
without him we wont have the penis envy strain :p

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
without him we wont have the penis envy strain
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/penis1.htm
penis4.jpg

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
Mckenna is considered a weirdo/Nuts in modern philosophical networks!
And that kind of thinking, is highly lame!
I mean, i do not agree on ALL that he does, but i think the man was a genius!
Do you know one philosopher, you agree with 100%?!?!
Because i dont!
I am actually following into his words, about drawing a map of the psychedelic experience!
Because, one thing....I've learned so much!
And another thing, i find it highly interesting!

And yeah, I also love how he questions things that are taken as facts or truth!
And this kind of thinking is highly valuable in a soceity that struggles to standardize thinking!
I havent seen many haters on Mckenna though, but the bad comments about him are that he's a weirdo or a nerd.....
Does that change his intellect into a bad thing?!