Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Absinthe.?

rippedsuperhero

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2006
i need some tips on making a bottle or two of homeade absinthe... i cant get i kit but i could manage getting an amount of wormwood pretty easily and also obtain some vodka but wats the best way to make it?

G

Invité
Hehehe, no you don't make absinth with vodka...
Use pernod

or:

1.5 oz Wormwood
1/3 oz Hyssop
1/3 oz Calamus Root
1/8 oz Fennel Seed
1 tsp Mint *
1 tsp cloves *
1 tsp coriander *
1/2 tsp Nutmeg *
2 Star Ansise fruits*

According to this website

Brewmaster

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
21 Août 2006
Or buy a bottle of the good stuff from the czech republic for $200 a liter.

toadlicker

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
1 Fev 2006
yeah the wormwood in vodka bad idea, tastes worse than sucking on a sleeping pill with the same effect, BLECKKKK!!!!
the best ideas for absinthe have already been stated.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
or make wormwood tea ^^ ugliest stuff ever. unbearable

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
Absinthe is not a psychedelic, period. It's a very, very nice alcoholic beverage for sure and I believe it has a nicer effect than other liquors, but it's not "a drug of it's own". It's only liquor with a little "twist".
To make good absinthe that's worthy of the name you need a still and a lot of knowledge and skills. Soaking wormwood in vodka just makes a disgusting brew, not absinthe.

If you want to try really good, distilled absinthe you can order good stuff online, try Francois Guy, Kubler or - if you can afford it - a variety of Jade Liquors Absinthe. This is the real stuff, just like 1900 (and just like 1900 you won't become mad from it).
If you don't have the money for that then try the Spanish Absinthe like Deva, Herring or Serpis - the nice effect will also be there even if these Absinthes aren't distilled but mixed from oils.
Keep away from the Czech Absinthes, they are expensive crap (I tried a few and asked myself how anyone could be bold enough to sell something like that!)

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Ok let me get this straight.. there is some effective compound in absinth called thujon right? (well.. next to al lot of alcohol).. And your supposed to mix it with 3x(amount of absinth) water and some sugar.. Why was this again, just for the taste? I think i have a bottle of the crap stuff somewhere here (from spain).. just took a few shots when i was drunk and didnt like the taste (anice if i remember)..

And tryptonaut, what exactly is the twist? Feeling a bit clear-headed and bright? My theory was that i would have been drunk before feeling anything..

This is all just some info i picked up here and there.. comments?

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
You will need for proper absinth what we call in Croatia a pecara/kotao. It is basically a destillator for making rakija-snaps. Lots of high containing alcohol-from 30 to 50 percent. From one cooking we get 30 to 50 liters of good booze. I think that it is illegal in EU. Just like killing a pig(young one) and rousted on fire.

Sorry from distracting from theme. Basically you will need to condensate alcohol soaked with artemesia cause bitterness needs to be removed, no way to drink that, I almost suffocate one time cause my throat shrinks. Hard but can be done. Good luck

Entheonaut

Inscrit
29 Mai 2006
Soulcatcher, maybe this makes it more clear:

Quoting from Wikipedia:

At the height of this popularity, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. By 1915, it was banned in a number of European countries and the United States. Even though it was vilified, no evidence shows it to be any more dangerous or psychoactive than ordinary alcohol.

Thujone is a ketone and a monoterpene that exists in two stereoisomeric forms - (+)-3-thujone or ?-thujone and (-)-3-thujone or ?-thujone - and has a menthol odor. Even though it is best known for being a chemical in absinthe, recent tests show absinthe contains only small quantities. In the early 20th century thujone was blamed for the supposed dangerous and even hallucinatory effects of absinthe, however modern studies show these concerns to be unfounded. Thujone acts on the GABA receptors in the brain and does not cause hallucinations. In many countries the amount of thujone allowed in food or drink products is regulated.

soknardalr

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
29 Jan 2007
Entheonaut a dit:
Soulcatcher, maybe this makes it more clear:

Quoting from Wikipedia:

At the height of this popularity, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. By 1915, it was banned in a number of European countries and the United States. Even though it was vilified, no evidence shows it to be any more dangerous or psychoactive than ordinary alcohol.

Thujone is a ketone and a monoterpene that exists in two stereoisomeric forms - (+)-3-thujone or ?-thujone and (-)-3-thujone or ?-thujone - and has a menthol odor. Even though it is best known for being a chemical in absinthe, recent tests show absinthe contains only small quantities. In the early 20th century thujone was blamed for the supposed dangerous and even hallucinatory effects of absinthe, however modern studies show these concerns to be unfounded. Thujone acts on the GABA receptors in the brain and does not cause hallucinations. In many countries the amount of thujone allowed in food or drink products is regulated.

Bah, I find Wikipedia to be full of rubbish at times.

I experimented with absinthe some years ago when I and a friend were given a bottle of 80% absinthe as a gift.
We consumed half the bottle neat and while I can't say I experienced any clear hallucinations like some claim, it certainly altered my perception and felt nothing like being drunk. The main difference I found with it, unlike when I'm drunk, I could think very clearly whilst under the influence of absinthe and it didn't seem to affect my balance, spatial awareness or speech in any way. It just didn't give me that heavy, slow and clumsy feeling that normal alcohol does, I felt more of a buzz and still very agile.

As for it not being addictive which is another thing I've seen written about it in recent years, some one can tell that to the doctor that emitted me to rehab unit for addiction. :|

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
Absinth was only a new kind of whiskey. Like now days people searched for new flavors and absinthe is product of that. It was never been drink with hallucinating effect or something that was particularly intended to make such effect. It was accident just like LSD-25. And hallucinating effect are, I think causing by slowly and after some time of chronic-brain damage intoxication.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
the hallucination rumors are caused by writers and artists who were addicted to absinth (like picasso) who give an artistic impression about the beverage. you can find poems about wine that say the same thing as poems about absinth. maybe it's the huge percentage of alcohol and the buzz with a nuance that made people think that i could make you hallucinate.

of course hallucination is possible with all alcohol holding beverages, but that's a delirium tremens and you don't want that :wink:

G

Invité
i never had true hallucinations with alcohol, but after a "few" drinks you start to see everything differently...once, i threw up in the tub because it really seemed a toilet. and read stuff that didn't existed. and try to read road signs and just seeing a blank sign.

fortunately, i wasn't driving that night :wink:

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
It was only, how to say autosuggestion or alcohol high(starting of alcoholic GABA energetic action), Daytripper. And second, who was suffering from hallucinations-poets, artists, writers who was already mind ill, or how I would like to say had 'Divine touch illness'. 8)

spingerfitzengefühl

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
24 Mai 2006
If you are interested i've got a bottle of home made absinthe, but to be honest it really tastes awful but I did get a buzz however.

BTW I did use vodka and not pernod like someone suggested, I don't know if it tastes better with pastis.

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
spingerfitzengefühl a dit:
Que dises hombre non comprende nada Goran?? :shock:
Sorry man, I work in lab and for public face like construction worker. So for pain I take lots of morphine-240mg and more, with benzoz, Ritalin and MAO-Bi. So if I doesn't sound lucid sometimes, sorry. Troubled mind. And yes I would like to taste yours beverage of course-I am alcoholic by the way. Worst kind of combo that you can find, but I am nice and tolerate human being who is trying not to carry any masks and live the utopia which I would like to rise. Soon I will have enough money to migrate(illegally into Holland) and we will be closer. Or you can come on vacation at the my beautiful Adriatic sea. 8)