Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Swearing thread

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Does anyone know or can shed any light on the conected words swearing , cursing , bad language and the meaning of them conected with saying things like fuck , bastard , cunt , shit , tits , piss or any other words like that please ? Where does the conection come from ? and how can words be bad ? Does anyone claim never to have used them , thought them or know them ? If anyone wants to add to the list of bad words and explain them / their badness please , please do . I certainly am not a bigot or hypocrit and wont pretend to be insulted .

achilless

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
29 Juil 2006
my theory on that:

"shit!" => it is shit; shit = excrement = not needed & stinking & disgusting
plus that swearing aims partly to shock, so taboos like sexuality and hygiëne are 'in' since great Britain has passed trough victorian age

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I think the connection is always determined by where it is used (in what type of building, association, country etc.), in what context, with what emotional intent, for what purpose and with what frequency. There are probably many other things that connect the two.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
People through out the ages have used words like that , it has nothing to do with fashion or great briten as was proved for fuck in the fuck thread .

How do you make the conection between useing words like that and saying they are ment to shock . Do you think the people in the world that use them are were all trying to shock ? Why should anyone be shocked by them ? Is it fashion to be shocked by them nowadays ? Has anybody here never used or thought them ? Was the bible and the thora (?) trying to shock when it refers to "paps" wich means tits ?

Where would the fashion to call some words swearing and , oaths , and bad language come from ? Why arent other words considered to fit the catagorys i mentioned ?

Sorry if i explained it badly in the first post i`m fucking nackered . That means castrated / tired in english and is considered "bad language" nowadays even though where they kill or castrate horses is called a nakers yard . Maybe the root comes from the common european language platt deutsch word knack that means to crack ?

C`mon folks i`m realy interested to get to the root of the idea that words can be bad .

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Sorry caduceus i didnt see your post . Do you mean a fashion thing ? If so who started it and where is it based ?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
GOD a dit:
Sorry caduceus i didnt see your post . Do you mean a fashion thing ? If so who started it and where is it based ?
I did wonder about that myself some time ago. I don't know of any "ancient" bad words, or "bad use" of sexual and sacred words. I can imagine strong language has been something of all ages, but it could just as well be a recent phenomenon.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Maybe i should have added the words "strong language" to that list ? Why should something be considered to be strong language ? Does it matter if a person uses those words in anger and not if they arent angry ?

I do think that if a person says for example " I dont give a fucking shit what so and so thinks hes a fucking cunt and a total fucking arsehole and he should fucking fuck off" in normal daily talking over and over again that he could be considered to have a problem , But i still cant understand why those words should be any of the words i mentioned above . That would be as dumb , in my opinion , as saying that "Cheta" the ape is dumb because he has an inteligence quotient of 90 , wich is normal for the lower primates , or is it only apes ?

But then what about "Derek and Clive live" and Charles Bukowski that are internationaly aclaimed to be genii ?

Ahuaeynjxs

Inscrit
10 Déc 2008
I think it has to do with stream of consciousness and context more. Most people read and write in a linear fashion which in my opinion isn't particularly effiscient or practical, anyways ;

If you say the other day I shit and turned to get TP and there was none, I was fucked.

Then it can be funny.

But if you say there was no TP in the toilet the other day, if I catch the fucker who took it all I'll shit in his face.

Well it can be offending. In french for example it would take a RADICALLY different choice of words to make an offending sentence, but Angle-ish is like that, it revolved, so the precedence of words radically iterates to the way the "e-motion" (energy-motion) is going to land on the land-guage.

Thus I think it's a recent phenomenon, because everyone in the world is speaking the same commercial degraded english, we've become critical about it.

I'm rarely offended by the choice of words, but I'll definately resent it sometimes because it's obvious how much anger or hate was put into the stream of consciousness, this is where the insult lies for me, not in the choice of words.

Although it can be arguable that certain words, especially in certain sequence would be accepted by a large number of people creating a psychic confluence that would make the said sequence "magikal", but I won't talk about that or you'll all acuse me of Aya-wotsheshittin :lol:

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
it is indeed a very interesting topic. I realized that many native speakers say fuck in another way than people as I do. It is another intonation - another sound. I think, that swearing has a special meaning in the brain but I don't know which. I realized that I swear pretty much :shock:

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
swearing is the modern way of putting the hex on someone.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
GOD a dit:
Why should something be considered to be strong language ?
I often use the term strong language, to distinguish it from swearing, cursing etc., all of which have Christian or magical connotations.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
Chimpanzees tought sign language to facilitate human/chimpanzee communication have been known to make up swears.

once given a basic sign framework they will add words for shit, anus, urine etc, and use the words in structured sentences. if, say, they dislike one of the researchers they will call them a shit or anus. they have even been observed while talking[sign] to themselves to swear to themselves much like we do.

its possible they already have a vocal equivalent. it seems swearing is not restricted to humans.

my friends mother's parrot, which came from a rescue center, swears constantly though i doubt it knows what the words mean. it obviously came originaly from a sweary household

a usefull internet resource: http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I dont like the terms "Strong language " or "Bad language" , IF someone wants to call it something i`d rather hear "Colourfull language" .

I`m using a lot of it at the moment , talking to the buiders who were suposed to come at 8 am and are still not here . I got up at 3 AM to get my flat ready . Cunts . <-------- That word also exists in german as "votze" . Where i come from there is a phrase with a double meaning = "Women are a bunch of cunts"............ Sorry girls that isnt my opinion .