Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Salvia in Literature? did C. Castaneda try it?

Dantediv86

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
About Sally,
I've been reading Castaneda's books for years, but this is the first time i read the book "The teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge"

please find the time to read this paragraph near the end of ch.2:

"I've already said that I must protect myself, following the directions of my ally the smoke. And as far as I know, the smoke can do anything. If you want to know about any point in question, the smoke will tell you. And it will give you not only knowledge, but also the means to proceed. It's the most marvelous ally a man could have."

"Is the smoke the best possible ally for everybody?"

"It's not the same for everybody. Many fear it and won't touch it, or even get close to it. The smoke is like everything else; it wasn't made for all of us."

"What kind of smoke is it, don Juan?"

"The smoke of diviners!"

in this paragraph it seems Don Juan is talking about Salvia Divinorum, and in the other books it never was presented this way, nor in anyother way since the little smoke [humito] is never explained by C.Castaneda in his books. this time i was struck when he mentions it is the smoke of the diviners...i know that Castaneda is not a reliable source for many things but this time i believe he is descibing the time he came in contact with Salvia.
has anyone who is into Castaneda ever found anything about this argument?

the topic of drugs in literature has always intrigued me
would anyone know if Salvia D. was mentioned in other works before this?
post people
post...

No-Key

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Déc 2006
As his books got more and more unbelievable, the bent of the history and philosophy behind Don Juan and nagulism started shifting towards South America. I've also suspected that Ixtalan, which is mentioned in the book as Don Genaro's original home, is Oaxaca.

Castaneda admitted to changing many details of the story to "protect" his characters identities, so it's even possible he was hanging out with Mazatecs. He was from South America himself.

Hyperion1980

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
27 Sept 2006
i know that Castaneda is not a reliable source for many things but this time i believe he is descibing the time he came in contact with Salvia.

I must disagree with you. I only read the 3 first books of C. Castaneda and the smoke is definitely explained in one of his 3 first books (I think in the second one). In the begining I also thought humito was salvia divinorum. But later he explains that it is a mixture of dried P. Cubensis (one sort of). According to Don Juan's teacher only one type of P. Cubensis was the good one. Then he added 3 herbs (but according to don Juan these herbs are only in the smoke mix because otherwise you cannot smoke the dried P. Cubensis.)

The effects are an instant Out of Body experience (I assume) and are indeed very salvia alike. But yeah, that's normal, smoking psylocibine, what do you want. I would'nt try to smoke psylocibine. You??? Don't try this at home, lol