Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Hypocrisy: Ponder this for a while...

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
One of the main reasons we can't pinpoint what part of smoking causes cancer is that cigarette companies have a big secret. An incredible loophole in the law allows them not to disclose about 500 of the ingredients in cigarettes. Maybe the burning of one of those ingredients causes lung cancer. But we can't test it, because we don't know what it is.

http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/14275.html

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
"Cigarettes contain a complex cocktail of chemicals, many of which are toxic, chemicals are added in order to make the cigarettes burn more effectively. Things like acetaldehyde and pyridine are added to enhance the effect of the nicotine on the brain, additives are added to improve flavour such as cocoa which when burned produces bromine gas that dilates the airways of the lung, there are other lovely chemicals such as formaldehyde and benzene, which themselves are known carcinogens, even arsenic is added."

I don't know if these are undisclosed additives or that there is even more/worse shit in them.

I recently had a discussion about this: rolling tobacco vs. filter sigarettes, and I tend to think rolling tobacco is safer in the sense that there is less chemical crap in there. In the end it still is nicotine, tar and all the other crap, but I do think there is a difference. Anyone know more about this?

And well at least the tobacco companies are providing me with motivation to finally quit... :roll:

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I think rolling tobacco still has a lot of shit in it. there is rolling tobacco which is said to be unperfumed and organic and whatnot, but it's hellish to smoke according to my friends (I never smoke tobacco, so I don't know)

Quark13

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
25 Sept 2009
There also seems to be a significant difference between normal nicotine and the more aggressive freebase nicotine which tobacco companies like to add. http://whyfiles.org/183smoking/2.html

I don't smoke tobacco, but I try to encourage my smoking friends to buy american spirit.(tobacco with no additives) I find the smell much less irritating then any mainstream brand.

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
Quark13 a dit:
I don't smoke tobacco, but I try to encourage my smoking friends to buy american spirit.(tobacco with no additives) I find the smell much less irritating then any mainstream brand.

I totally agree. I don't smoke tobacco either, but one thing i noticed was that friends, who did buy the american spirit cigarettes got pretty annoyed, because the tobacco doesn't burn that good.. at all (go figure hehe..).
I don't know about the rolling-tobacco variant though.. Maybe it's 'better'.

Or just don't smoke tobacco at all! :idea: :wink:

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Tobacco SUCKS. There is a reason why the native American Indians introduced it to the white man.

(the same reason why it is very fashionable in the 'hood to sell as much crack as possible to whitey)

Quark13- read the link you posted. I found this:

"Pankow and his team recently compared the levels of free-base nicotine found in the most common brands of American cigarettes (see "Percent Free Base Nicotine.." in the bibliography). They found that some -- including the famously popular Marlboro -- contain 10 to 20 times higher percentages of free-base nicotine than other brands. But the brand with the most free-base nicotine? The "Natural American Spirit" cigarette, marketed here as "100% Chemical Additive-Free Tobacco." American Spirit cigarettes contain 36 percent free-base nicotine, compared with 9.6 percent in a Marlboro, 2.7 percent in a Camel, and 6.2 percent in a Winston."
(freebase nicotine is an additive)

American Spirit have just tapped into what mainstream advertising has known for a long time now; people have real trouble understanding that something marketed as 'all natural' can be bad for you.

C'mon

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
spice a dit:
American Spirit have just tapped into what mainstream advertising has known for a long time now; people have real trouble understanding that something marketed as 'all natural' can be bad for you.

C'mon

Thanks for saving me from making a dumb ass out of myself (again). I was actually going to post that I wanted to try American Spirit because I heard/thought, it was not so bad for you....

Quark13

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
25 Sept 2009
Spice thanks for pointing that out! Your right I only briefly read the article I linked to. It was probably naive of me to think that american spirit is less harmful then other brands.
It really surprises me that american spirit tobacco contains so much freebasenicotin. They even sell it in healthfoodstores! I will look into this more thoroughly.

Quark13

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
25 Sept 2009
Okay, I send an email to Santa Fe (makers of american spirit and dunhill tobacco) to ask about their side of the freebase nicotine story. This is their reply. what do you guys think?

Thank you for your email. We were stunned to read Professor James Pankow’s study, which measured the “free-base

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
HeartCore you want to suggest that some companies added certain chemicals to raise the probability for many people getting cancer?? for the benefit of the healthcare-system and whatnot????

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
No, they add chemicals to cigarettes for one reason:

To increase the addictiveness of cigarettes.

Everything else is just gravy, as far as they're concerned.

You know, there is a reason why the Republican/neocons like the tobacco industry so much, look at the pattern of the industry;

Secretive
Arrogant
Deny, deny, deny
subsidized by the government
profiteering off of the misery of others
Propagandize/ manipulate opinion

It sounds like the fucking playbook of the Conservatives.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Also, reading the study closer, it implies that not all of the nicotine manipulation is done chemically. As the study said, there are two common types of nicotine; an acidic form and a basic form, and the acidic form can be converted chemically to the basic form.....(the acidic form would be like a time release form and the basic like crack; 'free-base') but also that certain strains of tobacco are naturally high in free base nicotine....in other words, a certain strain of tobacco has higher levels of basic nicotine than other strains. Much like cannabis where THC and CBD levels are bred for.

So, American Spirit did issue a carefully worded denial, as noted above, where they rejected the idea that they chemically enhanced their product. But they did not deny using tobacco strains that were much higher in freebase nicotine than normal.

God knows, we can't have people saying;

'IT'S JUST SO MUCH STRONGER THAN IT USED TO BE'

(sound familiar?)

:D

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
BrainEater a dit:
HeartCore you want to suggest that some companies added certain chemicals to raise the probability for many people getting cancer?? for the benefit of the healthcare-system and whatnot????

I am not suggesting anything, I am merely pointing out some information. What this information suggests is that tobacco companies, can keep their recipes secret and because of that, research in order to determine which substances in cigarettes induce cancer, is greatly hindered. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that they do that on purpose to give people cancer.

The healtcare-system and cancer is a different story, If you want to know more about that, write an email to the international cancer institute and ask them about their feeling towards the many researches to Cannabis since the seventies, that clearly shows it kills tumors. Read the reply you get carefully (10 seconds you'll need), and draw your own conclusions.

Quark13

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
25 Sept 2009
A friend of mine used to smoke about 20 camels a day plus 1 joint. (camel tobacco had the lowest levels of freebase-nicotine of all brands measured in the pankow study) Then he decided he wanted to smoke less and mainly use tobacco for joints. He tried american spirit (highest amount of freebase-nicotine according to pankow) and he effectively reduced his smoking to about 3 cigs a day and 1 joint. Nowadays he quit smoking tobacco and cannabis altogether, that way it seemed relatively easy for him to kick both habits.

Could it be that because camels have such low levels of (freebase)nicotine that you want to smoke a whole pack of them per day and that in contrast with the high level freebase-nicotine american spirit's you only need a few cigarettes per keep the brain satisfied. Maybe you can compare it to cannabis that is high in THC and CBD, where you only need a few tokes from, in comparison to rather mild grass in which case you want smoke almost constantly.

Just some thought that came to me, It's definitely an oversimplification.