Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Have you Glitched? [altered sound experience.. try at home]

Cortexelus

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
24 Juin 2009
Glitching.
2009-07-14glitching.jpg

Have you ever tried this?

You basically listen to the natural sounds around you through an effects processor.

It's amazing.

All you need is a microphone, ear phones, laptop, and a backpack. Run the mic through the laptop, filter it through some effects, and listen to it through the ear phones.

It's portable. You can walk around like this. You can meditate like this. Parties. It's really synergistic.

I use Ableton Live. I'm not sure what other software does this. A battery-powered effects pedal works too.

You can customize the world to sound like anything you want. The supply of VST plugins out there is limitless.

Favorite is Glitch (it's where the name comes from:) http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Delay is awesome. And pitch manipulation. Harmonies. I haven't even tried Autotune. Or sending Beethoven through a vocoder. It's a new way to experience music. If your mic is sensitive enough, drumming on your body is really amazing.

It's awesome to do with multiple people. Like, one mic broadcasting to several ear phones (splitter or FM transmitter or bluetooth? or wifi?). Get the delay looping and you'll have a collective musical experience.

With a camera and video goggles you could do visual glitching.

Combine it with data from an EEG and you can get yourself into incredible feedback loops. (should be able to get one soon) Imagine hooking up several people's EEGs together?

This is like... the future of Psychedelia.

You can try this right now. Let me know if you need any help setting it up.

mrpink

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Juin 2009
Really? Did you come up with this all by yourself?

This is dope. I'm setting it up as we speak, I play with speakers and mics a lot. I'm going to do this in a room with tons of a feedback I can control and loop.

Thank you.

Twilight

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
7 Juin 2008
Sounds like something I really need to try some day. :D

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
This is like... the future of Psychedelia.
this is like what ken kesey and the pranksters did in the 60's..

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I used to do this a lot, especially when (stoned ;) )friends were at my place. it's a lot of fun, makes you feel like you are standing in a church, or a cave, or just at some very freaky place (if you use the ping pong delay)
definitely recommended ;)

we once put on the headphones to a friend who fell asleep due to a lot of weed and started the whole thing. his expression when he woke up because of the sounds was priceless.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
Glitching out at best buy.. :lol:

Cortexelus a dit:
All you need is a microphone, ear phones, laptop, and a backpack. Run the mic through the laptop, filter it through some effects, and listen to it through the ear phones.

It's portable. You can walk around like this.

Cool.. I've done the glitching in one place, but not up and walking around. I sometimes take long walks with headphones and a mic just recording sounds to use in whatever project I'm doing. After an hour or so the effect of hearing everything around you amplified is quite nice. Glitch is a pretty good free (err shareware) vst as well.. (haven't used it in a while though). Combining the two sounds like a good time..

If your mic is sensitive enough, drumming on your body is really amazing.

There's a guy out there who does that for performance, makes some pretty interesting rhythms (Daniel Mensch or something, not quite sure, there's a few artists out there by that name). I saw him last year on tour at an electronic music fest... was really into the sound already before I knew what he was doing, looking through the crowd and realizing what he was doing just added to the experience.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
This thread actually made my day.. It makes the innate sound nerd in me very happy to see people into playing with sound and playing with their ears on this site :D

Cortexelus

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
24 Juin 2009
st.bot.32 a dit:
This thread actually made my day.. It makes the innate sound nerd in me very happy to see people into playing with sound and playing with their ears on this site :D
Reading THAT made my day.

I was thinking of building a website for this. Like, people posting their settings, sound samples, experiences, comments, that sort of thing.

BananaPancake a dit:
it's a lot of fun, makes you feel like you are standing in a church, or a cave, or just at some very freaky place (if you use the ping pong delay)
definitely recommended ;)
Yes! Definitely synergism is the way to go.

Ping pong delay is amazing. Especially when everything you've said for the last 30 seconds is being repeated back to you... it really sets off the mind bombs. LMFAO especially when you laugh. Not a bad short term memory enhancer either :wink:

mrpink a dit:
I'm going to do this in a room with tons of a feedback I can control and loop.
I LOVE feedback. Drone. The sound takes on a consciousness of itself. The slightest movements and changes in vibration can manipulate the sound patterns.

What are your setups like?

Crimzen a dit:
this is like what ken kesey and the pranksters did in the 60's..
I'm up for it. Let's go across the country glitching people on.

Or even across the internet. Post a link to this topic or something. Spread the word.

Cortexelus

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
24 Juin 2009
Here's some free VST hosts:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... Host.shtml
http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

I haven't tried them though.

You know what would be cool? An evolving glitch experience. You know, the effects change over time. Maybe in reaction to the environment. Handheld remote? The best would be if it responded to your brainwaves via EEG.

You could customize an experience for someone. It would be a musical performance of itself. Beyond music. Like DJing, but the next step.

You could actually integrate music with a glitched environment. Even live music. That'd be pretty bizarre. People having a different experiences of your music based on whatever they're doing/feeling.

Or like, a glitch party mixed with dance music or drone. People interacting with each other is the key part. LMAO like sampling and looping real events. Like, quotes and laughter and whatever.

There's literally no end to it.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
i'm liking this

Henkfloyd

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Jan 2008
Sounds very cool, really want to try it. However, it seems I'm a bit of a noob at the program (and pretty high), how do you get it to work? :oops:
Any tutorials somewhere maybe?

Cheers

Cortexelus

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
24 Juin 2009
Henkfloyd a dit:
Sounds very cool, really want to try it. However, it seems I'm a bit of a noob at the program (and pretty high), how do you get it to work? :oops:
Any tutorials somewhere maybe?

I should write some.

I believe all you need to do is hit the red record button at the bottom of one of the audio tracks. And then drag some effect from the left-side menu onto the track, and change the settings in the bottom panel.

If you have windows, and you're having latency issues with the audio, you might need to install ASIO4ALL. http://www.asio4all.com/

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007

Cortexelus

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
24 Juin 2009
Anyone who experimented with it.. can you report back on the experience?

st.bot.32 a dit:
I often do feedback loops through my reel to reel, outboard effects and laptop..

Nice. Sometimes I set up a handful of feedbacking speakers all around the house and walk around blindfold. You can hear it throughout the neighborhood LMAO