'Farmer's Market' International Online Drug Ring Busted....

HermesTrismegistus

Elfe Mécanique
LOS ANGELES -- A sophisticated online drug marketplace that sold everything from marijuana to mescaline to some 3,000 people around the world has been cracked with the arrests of 15 people in several countries, U.S. authorities announced Monday.

An indictment unsealed in federal court in Los Angeles claims eight men ran "The Farmer's Market," which allowed suppliers of drugs – including LSD, Ecstasy and ketamine – to anonymously sell their wares online. They hooked up with buyers in 34 countries and accepted various forms of payment, including cash, Western Union and PayPal transactions, the indictment claims.

From 2007 to 2009 alone, the marketplace processed more than 5,000 orders for drugs valued at more than $1 million, federal officials contended. It began operations as far back as March 2006, authorities said.

The market "provided a controlled substances storefront, order forms, online forums, customer service, and payment methods for the different sources of supply" and charged the suppliers a commission based upon the value of the order, according to a statement from the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles.

"For customers, the operators screened all sources of supply and guaranteed delivery of the illegal drugs," the statement said.

The alleged ringleader, Dutch citizen Marc Willems, 42, was arrested Monday at his home in Lelystad in the Netherlands, officials said.

Michael Evron, 42, a United States citizen living in Buenos Aires, Argentina, was taken into custody on Sunday in Bogota, Colombia, authorities said.

The other six men were arrested at their homes. They are identified as Jonathan Colbeck, 51, of Urbana, Iowa; Brian Colbeck, 47, of Coldwater, Mich.; Ryan Rawls, 31, of Alpharetta, Ga.; Jonathan Dugan, 27, of North Babylon, N.Y.; George Matzek, 20, of Secaucus, N.J.; and Charles Bigras, 37, of Melbourne, Fla.

It was not immediately clear whether the men had obtained lawyers.

The 12-count indictment charges all eight men with conspiracy to distribute controlled substances and money laundering conspiracy. Some of the men also are charged with distributing LSD and taking part in a continuing criminal enterprise.

All could face a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted of conspiracy.

In addition, seven other people were arrested on suspicion of drug crimes Monday in the Netherlands, Georgia, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, and authorities seized hallucinogenic mushrooms, hashish, LSD, marijuana and Ecstasy, the U.S. attorney's office said.

The investigation led to those arrests, but authorities still were trying to determine their connections to the online marketplace, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin S. Rosenberg.

The two-year investigation, dubbed "Operation Adam Bomb, "involved law enforcement agents from several U.S. states and several countries, including Colombia, the Netherlands and Scotland, the U.S. attorney's office said.

The case was filed in Los Angeles because some of the customers and an undercover agent who bought drugs through the marketplace are from the area, Rosenberg said.

"Illegal narcotics trafficking now reaches every corner of our world, including our home computers," U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. said in the statement. "But the reach of the law is just as long. ... We want to make the Internet a safe and secure marketplace by rooting out and prosecuting those persons who seek to illegally pervert and exploit that market."

The marketplace "was distributing dangerous and addictive drugs to every corner of the world, and trying to hide their activities through the use of advanced anonymizing online technology," said Briane M. Grey, acting special agent in charge of the Los Angeles Field Division for the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The marketplace allegedly used the Tor network, which spreads website and email communications through a volunteer network of servers around the world in order to mask Internet address information.

Tor originally was developed at a project of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory to protect government communications. The free software and open network is used to prevent websites from tracking users, getting access to websites blocked by Internet providers, and providing anonymity for online users and online publishers. It is used by "normal people, the military, journalists, law enforcement officers, activists, and many others," according to the Tor Project website.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 ... 29544.html

:shock:
Shit...!
Well, I assume it must have happened one day or another, but honestly I didn't see that coming so fast... Let's hope they won't target Tor to make an example of it, as they made one of Megaupload :?

What surprised me, is that they also arrested a couple of guys from other country's, who will be hand over to the US, where they will risk a live long sentence. Its weird and scary to see how much power the DEA seem to have and how hard the punishments are over there.

schtroumpfette a dit:
:shock:
Shit...!
Well, I assume it must have happened one day or another, but honestly I didn't see that coming so fast... Let's hope they won't target Tor to make an example of it, as they made one of Megaupload :?

Great change they that will soon or later point there arrows on the tor network. Maybe still a bit to complicated for them, since proxy's are not illegal yet... But if you take a look on all the laws for internet that they try to push trough, then it won't surprise me if also start to try and get more control over proxy's etc.

I learned this recently;

A "Life Sentence" in america is 25 years.

Just a bit of info.

so how did they bust them? I thought it was only on tor, and tor is said to be really really safe..

shocking!!
they were abit too large if you ask me.

membership was too easy to acquire as well.

i hope this was an isolated incident.

ararat a dit:
so how did they bust them? I thought it was only on tor, and tor is said to be really really safe..
They infiltrated the market, hiding as a buyer.

With world governments planning to police the internet in greater detail, I suspect this is the First Domino.

Also with the people involved looking at life in prison in America, They are probably practicing their best singing voices.

I dont think they will get life but for the last few years the US and UK courts have come down hard on people who sell drugs online. Where would I be if it wasnt for the authorities protecting me from myself.

from now and on, only bad news for everything that concern the entertainment of any kind... including internet stuff....space time with some s-key and music.... ect...... :lol:
anyway ,why is that????
because they want us paying for everything more and more and make us work all day for earning them more & more money...
no more fun, laugh or sex time for us!

only PURE work!!! :evil:

and by them i dont meen our bosses but the BIGGER THIEFS!! you know who i meen!!
do u like this plan people? yes or not this will not change never!
and its called "the rich wants more money" because they sit to my midle finger when they discovered that they cant go nowhere in space to live and be alone with their f money and without us searching for their heads..
so as they will stay here with all of us they want to seperate as quick they can to RICH people and POOR people! so after it, want it or not,you will be SLAVE!

maybe they will win this war but they cant win mother nature!!! AGAIN they sit to my HUUUUUUGE midle finger because everyone dies one day! 80~ years.... thats soon!!! noone is immortal no matter how much money he has!!!!
hahahahahhahahahaha :rolleyes: :D 8) :rolleyes:

Hm, kinda bad for us delinquents. Is Tor that unsafe ? Any feedback from somewhone who used it or some other hidden website ?
IMO, using PayPal and such was a bad idea but I can't say for sure that bit coins are safer. Any opinion ?

All could face a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted of conspiracy.

Oh, LOL, look people, ALL of a sudden it is alright to be a 'conspiracy theorist' if the people you are persecuting are people who simply supplied the demand for substances we should ALL of us freely be able to obtain and ingest, but IF you rightfully investigate any one of these control freaks covert dirty doings YOU are labelled a 'conspiracy theorist'!

They are the vilest of criminals and commit crime against humanist and nature.

It was the same charge against MegaUpload. I really don't know what do they mean by that.

A conspiracy theorist is some one that is trying to expose conspiracy, Conspiracy being groups of people conspiring which is to act or work together toward the same result or goal.

The term conspire is often used to denote something of bad nature and If you are not with the US and the facist stance they have adopted. You are against them, Should you disregard their laws you are conspiring against them to supply Pirate material (Megaupload and Conspiracy to commit Piracy), Drugs (TFM and Conspiracy to supply Drugs), Even releasing information can be seen as Conspiracy it all depends on what truth there is to the claim and the public damage that is possible.

whether you are on the side that believes 9/11, 7/7 etc etc were inside jobs or not, it can be very argued that the government per se is EXACTLY a conspiracy. If you know about Edward Bernays and his revelations about a secret group who pull the strings of the unsuspecting 'masses', that IS conspiracy for sure. A HUGE reason they are so against psychedelics is that these sacred medicines can undo the matrix these conspirators weave around us by inspiring us to see through it!

Shakespeare a dit:
All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players.

Most things in this world are without coincidence, Especially world affairs.

Also regarding Tor, It was the US Navy that created Tor.
They are probably able to unmask it with another program or a built in function in the military application... :roll:

They don't unmasked it, they infiltrated as buyers...

Sludge a dit:
They don't unmasked it, they infiltrated as buyers...

I too read the article, I know how the bust occured.

I am merely stating no one makes a program for government use and then just leaves it for public access, The US Navy probably know the ins and outs of Tor.

I'm trying to say, I doubt it is safe at all. Plus the news report could not say if Tor was comprimised becuase if it was thought to be, no one would use it.

IJC, you sure about that 25 year thing? I feel like "life" is 25+ (with possibility of parole that is often not granted).

In terms of the organization of this system, honestly it's got to be the Paypal and Western Union. No matter what you do, what Cayman Island you tie it to, eventually that money is traceable. Bit Coins aren't perfect but at least this would be a case for their use.

Retour