Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Sunlight / water / fertilization

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Got two san pedros growing...

How important is full sun, I'm in upper lattitudes so sun is only good in summer, winter is minimal. Will it grow fine / produce alkaloids with little sun in winter>

How bout fertilization, not much right?

Humidity?

FANX.

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
No need for humidity.

Low nitrogen cacti/succulent fertiliser.

Will remain dormant during the winter months.

Don't need full sun, more direct light they receive the lighter green they will become.
Still, good to have more light than in a dark corner indoors.

Like all plants, sun/water/food in the growing season will produce good results, although stress apparently increases potency. Still, a healthy cactus is still better than a sick cactus.

Check out this website for some good info on growing san pedro.

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
Would it be possible to put a few of these babies on the window sill in my room the gets alot of sunlight? because i dont have much room to grow anything on the 2nd floor of the flat.

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
Beware of too much sunshine at a window !
The temperature may not rise above 60-65 degrees Celsius.
For seedlings perhaps not above 40-50 degrees.
So it is saver to give seedlings some shadow from a newspaper.

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
no way, that would work perfectly here. thanks :D
ill look into buying a few when i get some loot

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I guess cacti are some of the easiest things to grow lol... seedling like damp, then about 2-3 months after germination just put em in a window sill, water 2 times a week... cacti fertilizer. good to go.

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
how long does it take to get a sufficant ammount to trip off of one cactus?
I know potency varies, but on average what would you say?

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
probably 5 years... it's more of a hobby than worthwhile for tripping.

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
im well aware of that. shit, i dont think it would be easy to get them back to the states.. ill get them when i move :(

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
IJesusChrist a dit:
probably 5 years... it's more of a hobby than worthwhile for tripping.
Time to grow = time to achieve a certain weight.
With more plants the weight will increase faster.

For a trip you need > 300 milli-gram Mescaline.
1000 grams of fresh San Pedro Cactus contains:
0.025 - 0.12 % Mescaline, or 250 - 1200 mgr.
So you will need appr. 500 - 1000 gram of fresh San Pedro.

See: Trout's Notes on San Pedro & related Trichocereus species (pages 81, 114-119).
http://www.troutsnotes.com/sc/SC3binfo.htm
http://cactus-boeken.expertpagina.nl

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
500 - 1000 grams dosent seem like much at all, atleast talking fresh wet cacti.

I deffinatly plan on getting into cacti when i find a steady place of residence.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
3 sprouted. .

Yay.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
If you don't live in the desert (like Arizona or Israel or something) then you don't have to worry about too much sun, at least not with older cacti or cuttings. I don't know about seedlings, never had those.

I have my cacti on a balcony that gets 8-9 hours of full sun in summer, in a German wine-region (that means it's a relatively mild climate for Germany). These conditions are almost perfect for the cacti, they grow like hell in summer.
For example last year, one 3 year old plant that had been cut 10cm from the ground grew one sprout that was 40cm and another that was 10cm in height - in only 7 months from April to November! And these sprouts are really thick bastards with 6cm in diameter.

I tried different kinds of soil, now I have special cactus soil from a cactus webshop. However the cacti seemed to like all the other soil I tried before almost just as well. Only one experiment with too much hydroponic stones didn't go as well, the cactus seemed to grow thinner in that. Normal potting soil with some sand and some seramis should be fine.

Fertilizer, as said before, should be low on nitrogen. One that I had from the supermarket was also lower on phosphorus and higher on potassium (3-5-7) and everything was basically fine with that. I switched to a fertilizer from the cactus webshop last summer which has an NPK of 6-12-6 (higher on the phosporus) and this really seemed to induce branching.
I mean a cutting didn't just grow one branch or maybe two like before, now it grew three or even four. Before that I had been really happy to see one cactus grow another branch, and suddenly they're all doing it wildly.

As long as we talk about fertilizer I might add that rainwater is always the best to water any plants. Especially if your tap water is chlorinated.
Hard water (=high calcium levels) obviously doesn't hurt them much, but as my cacti are outside they get their good share of rainwater (last year I had to bring them in once in a while because it wouldn't stop raining for days :evil: )

In winter, unfortunately, you have to stop the growing totally if you're in Europe or similar climate zones. Get the cacti inside, don't give them any water, and keep them cool. I kept mine in my bedroom last winter where it was between 12°C and 20°C (sorry, but I like to sleep at no less than 18-20°C...) and it was okay. Keeping it down to 10-15°C might be even better.
The year before I had them in my living room where it was always between 16°C and 24°C and that stimulated them to keep growing, even though they didn't get any water!
Unfortunately when they grow with not enough sunlight, they become thin. It not only looks bad but they are also prone to break next summer!

Wow, now that became a really long post!
However that should be pretty much all of it. San Pedro cacti are probably the most easy to grow plants that ever existed. Just look at the plants closely every day, watch for growth, color, how does the soil look, etc. Do this every day, so you'll notice small changes a lot better than if you just look at them from the distance (that is the secret of most plant-growing success, I think)

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
hmm about the winter thing, I have heating pads that I have been using - do you think if I use these + winter window sill I can still water them??

They seem to really like the heating pads with moisture (I have them in a moisture locking 'greenhouse' type thing right now - very high humidity.

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
As mentioned earlier there is too few light in the Winter for growing Cacti at latitudes from 40-50 degrees.
You can use the heating-pads to grow Cacti from seed in the Winter.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
As I said I had cacti inside my living room at 16-24°C all winter and they grew thin, even without water. They were standing right by the big glass doors to my balcony. South side, most possible sunlight I can get inside. However when there's four months of grey sky and a few days of winter sun, that just isn't nearly enough light for San Pedros to grow well.