Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

RFID for Passport Tracking: The Real Results

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
"For the record, I want to emphasize that I have no desire to be tracked by any means without my knowledge. I am well aware that everyone who carries a mobile phone in the country, including me, is already tracked via the telephone's built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) transmitting its coordinates to wireless providers. In fact, as of March of this year, every new mobile phone is required by law to support GPS. This information is provided to the government for 911 calls in order to save lives. Can it also be used to catch bad-guys? Absolutely! Is it being used to track when Mom goes to the grocery store? I doubt it. Could some over-reaching law enforcement official use your cell phone's GPS to track you? You bet. My stance is that RFID technology can be responsibly used to improve people's lives.

In February of 2004, I led a team that performed one of the first evaluations of RFID technology in passports for the US-VISIT program. If you followed the press back then, my claim may come as a surprise, but the short of is: a big company contracted another big company that hired my little company to tackle the technical tasks. Since we are well past the expiration of the non-disclosure agreement, I believe it is in the industry's best interest for me to publicly share the findings so people understand how the RFID works for this form of people tracking.

Our objectives were simple:
Evaluate the use of passive Ultra High Frequency (UHF) RFID technology in passports. Readers from four different manufacturers were tested. Six different types of tags were tested. All were selected based on a 2"x3" size limitation requirement - the tag had to fit into the current passport form factor.

The walking tests were performed in a 14 x 30 foot area with 3 turn-style walking lanes, each 3 feet wide. The average number of pages in a passport is 12, plus the cover. The RFID tag was inserted on the first page of the passport.

Test cases included multiple passports held by one person in a "stack" configuration, passports held by different people, and a passport held close to the body or in a pocket.

The results:

•A passport held close to the body or in a pocket could not be read.

•At the maximum effective tag-to-antenna angle (~75?), the maximum read range was 7 feet. The graph below shows the read pattern.

Driving Tests

One goal of these tests was to check the viability of reading passports from a car, for possible use in expedited border-crossing lanes between the U.S. and Canada or Mexico. It was conjectured that a citizen might hold their passport up to their car window to keep traffic flowing. What is helpful for us here is to find out when these passports cannot be read casually.

For the driving tests, we rented a drag strip. Tests were performed on an open track using multiple types of automobiles.

The results:

•The best performing tag (Matrics, now Symbol) read 100% at up to 35 mph and 50% at 55mph when the passports were held at the door?s side window.

•The passport on the car seat was not read, due to the car acting as a shield.

•The single passport on the dash board was able to be read with 50% accuracy at 10, 20 and 35 miles per hour, and 25% accuracy at 55 miles per hour."

Taken from: http://www.rfidsb.com/rfid-street-your- ... sults.html
Have a look at it for pictures graphs and more info.

I just recieved my new UK passport and i saw this little microchip on the back page, and i was like NO FUCKK GPS!!
Ethier this is a coverup for the government tracking you, or these tests put my mind at ease.
this is what the new passport looks like:

260734962_be2c8d4b76.jpg

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
can you take it out?

im getting mine real soon (HOPEFULLY... FUCK.)

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
i think they will actually make traveling much easier.

these things have allready been hacked and duplicated btw :D

and theres no way they can have any real distance on them. so altho you cant be tracked by it, there is the possibility of short range reading and identification of you. but if you have your passport on you, i dobt that matters.

Bastiaan

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Sept 2007
NO NO NO NO. The person that wrote this has no idea. RFID chip? Over my dead body :axe: The possible negatives FAR outweigh the possible positives imo. Need I remind you the Walton family (wa-mart) owns more money then the poorest 40% of all americans? And that's peanuts compared to some other guys (think rothschild). That should tell you something is not right and make you paranoid enough to see the danger of these things. 9/11 should also teach you government is not just corrupt, but that they have no respect whatsoever for human life. RFID chips.. baaaad stuff

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
indeed i DO have my suspisions, it would be quite easy to forge some tests to put peoples minds at ease like me.. and come to think about it. ide rather have my old passport back and wait in line. ill be efffed in the ayy if someone tracks my ass.

EDIT: that badboy is getting locked in a safe deposit box till i need it.. cant be too safe i guess.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
simple physics, energy source. unless the government has discovered some new invisible everlasting battery those rfid chips will never be capable of tracking anyone from more than a teeny short difference. which means they'd need to install millions of clandestine tracking devices all over the nation.. from a conspiracy theory standpoint i'd be far more worried about my iphone or android which can transmit gps data and in fact is used by some apps where you can see where your friends currently are in the city on google maps. from a security standpoint i'd be more worried about having all my data consolidated on a single chip, makes you more vulnerable to identity theft (but that's not what this seems to be..)

here's a conspiracy for you: every citizen has an rfid chip except for one person, who's just another face in the masses and who stands out? ;)

Bastiaan

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Sept 2007
You've got a point. When everyone has one ofc. it's not a smart thing to be one of the few to not have one. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't violently oppose(/resist) it :x :p Good point about the Iphone, but that's something you buy out of free will. Most haven't got a clue what oppression and vampirism can be brought (and has been brought) through the tactic of slowly but surely. They are absolutely oblivious to the danger that is upon them and the twisted minds and plans that are at work. They've gotten used to the world as it is today. It's normal to them. But it's anything but normal. I don't like using the word normal but you get the idea. Are we all that tired? Little wonder I sometimes think, there's folks speculating about food and air poisoning or even ET stuff.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
gradualism. one little thing at a time. some things in particular bother me more than others..

too many people are perfectly willing to throw their freedoms and privacy away for an almost negligible increase in security, and governments are perfectly happy to go along with it to make it look like they are 'doing something'. a perfect example is the new scanners in airports that can see through your clothes.. yet the weak points of this system and how to bypass it are already widely publicized, making it rather useless. too late.

i imagine by the end of our lifetimes we will find out just how carried away society will get with all of this.. will it hit a point where people finally say that enough is enough?