Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Question about my Salvia plants

HellRai$er

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
31 Mar 2008
Lion a dit:
Nope doesn't matter.
Just standard fertiliser. Or fishflour. But that will stink like fuck.
Hehe yeah that's right. But for outdoor-use it doesn't matter... :)

S

snickers

Invité
I got two clippings about a year ago, and they were both in bad shape. The leaves were small, and brown on the edges, and the greenhouse that I purchased them from said it was because the power had gone out and the plants were under heat stress...

They weren't growing well at all for nearly 6 months, they had little or no growth. So, I moved them into coco coir and started feeding them pro grow and pro bloom.

In about 6 months, I had nearly 4 feet of new growth in 4 new stalks. The new stalks are much thicker, and the new leaves are nearly 14 inches long. Furthermore, when I transplanted them from the soil, the roots hadn't grown at all!

Anyways, I got some pots from wallmart that have a little tray in the bottom. I just put some water into the tray, and the water wicks up the coco coir. Because the coco coir is light and fluffy, it won't cause the roots to rot, and wicks water up from the bottom.

I water the plants about once a week, by just putting some water/fertilizer into the bottom tray of the pot.

Here's the pic, you can see the little fill spot in the bottom of the pot (it's a 11.5 inch pot).

Soulcatcher

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
My friend had some cuttings as well which started dying as soon as he took off the transparent cap. When he put it on again it totally revived again. I suggest leaving it on and making holes in it for a gradual change, if you encounter this problem again.

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
I dont think the sprinkling will be of any use.

However, watering every day is indeed too often.

Another tip is putting your plant outside for a day when it rains. Make sure it's warm outside too.
This will drain bad substances through your pot.

Sprinkling can be very beneficial and in my experience, it helps reduce stress in the plant.

Instead of watering every day, watering every few days and sprinkling every day, can be a good alternative.

As for putting the plant in the rain outside: Not a good idea in my opinion. First of all, you don't control the weather so you have to watch closely. Secondly, in my experience Salvia plants break easily so for that reason, you don't really want to carry around with your plant (add to that the rumor that Salvia hates being moved in general).

As for flushing the pot, that's a good idea with most plants and can be done perfectly without going outsidei. A good method for this is the one I also used when I grew cannabis:

Prepare about ten liters of water and adjust the PH if your tap water is off a lot (where I live it's about 8.2). Make sure the water has room temperature and start flowing it slowly through the pot. Put the pot in a bigger container to catch the water. For a while, brownish water with emerge from the pot which will become more clear the more water is put through. When you feel it's clear enough, flush a little more but this time use a tiny amount of fertilizer in it (since you just flushed most of that out).

Then just monitor your plant closely and check what she needs. If you download the growers guide you will find ample information regarding to problems you encounter and how to counter them. This way I have been able to get my cutting that I got last fall, to an almost one meter high plant this spring: I learned to recognize what she needed, less fertilizer, more fertilizer. more shadow etc...

HC

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
I've got a cutting,too, it has also brown spots but I've heard that that's okay...

My stem is quite skew (it hangs down...)... Do you use bamboo canes? The cuttings are quite new, how long should it take until the stem gets stable (normal conditions)?

PS: I've heard that fertiliser is unwise with young plants...I'll use some in about a month or two...

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
ive never grown sally but i grow weed. brown leaf edges can be caused by excessive strong sunlight(or too close to artificial light). can also be caused bycold draughts

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
They dont like a lot of light and do like a high humidity . The stuff that they are planted in doesnt look to healthy or big enough to me , but i havent grown any for years .

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
ive had a closer look at the photos and id say its too strong light. the burned leaves also look slightly bleached- a response to too strong light. could be wrong

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Thats what i think to , but the one in the dirt looks like it might not have rooted properly . How are they now ???

Ultima

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
27 Déc 2007
druglessdouglas a dit:
ive never grown sally but i grow weed. brown leaf edges can be caused by excessive strong sunlight(or too close to artificial light). can also be caused bycold draughts

DAMNIT! i need to know that like 3-4 months ago.. i had a few plants going and i couldnt figure out why the bottom leaves were dying! i was using a 400W HPS grow light with reflector... it was only about 1-2 ft above the plants due to lack of space. although they did produce some strong smoke (not very much tho) (maybe 4G on each plant?)

scamie

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
23 Mai 2006
mist the plants daily.... water once a week( drain the pots) and i have a couple of big pots outside.... in the shade.... working fine!!! Dont put them in a windy spot..... they dont like it... but a little wind makes them stronger.... but becarefull when taking them outside.... they are not used to the conditions immediately...watch them!!!! Make the soil less dense by using perlite!!! you can add a little vinegar to alot off water to drop the ph alittle bit.
watch out with the sun,,, i put them on a spot with 2 hours of sun... and in juli,,,, that was even tooo much sun..... under a other shrub... alittle semi/ filtered sunlight is best!!!
If you have a little greenhouse with a bit shade cloth..... boooom.... there you go.... massive growth
dont over feed with supplements.... this will make the leaves also yellow..
the brownig is not why she does that.... it happend to my plants... second flush.... cuttings

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
Ultima a dit:
DAMNIT! i need to know that like 3-4 months ago.. i had a few plants going and i couldnt figure out why the bottom leaves were dying! i was using a 400W HPS grow light with reflector... it was only about 1-2 ft above the plants due to lack of space. although they did produce some strong smoke (not very much tho) (maybe 4G on each plant?)

if your short of headroom/height you can lay the plants and pots on their sides. they wont mind. just take them out to water them. works with other plants. if you turn them every couple of days they wont stretch towards the light.
or get a 250w hps. have you tried strip lights? at 10-35 cm from the tops of the plants they work well. grow shops sell 45cm long "energy saving" bulbs that run on normal domestic power supplies. good for cuttings, a fair bit cheaper to run than 600w hps and better frequencies of light for vegetative growth. HPS lights arent ideal for vegetative growth, better for flowering .

[edit] if your cuttings havnt rooted properly, and i mean reached the edge of the pot, theyll drop leaves when you put them under the light to conserve water. always give them 10-14 days and then knock them out of the pot to make sure. you can see then if the roots are healthy and white

other brands are available

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
druglessdouglas a dit:
Ultima a dit:

if your short of headroom/height you can lay the plants and pots on their sides. they wont mind. just take them out to water them. works with other plants. if you turn them every couple of days they wont stretch towards the light.
or get a 250w hps. have you tried strip lights?

Another option would be to get or create a cool tube. This is a glass tube with a hose surrounding the lamp while a fan is cooling the lamp through the hose. This way your light can be as close as 1foot from the plants as I understand or even closer.

Another option would be to try saving bulbs, there are a number of very interesting discussions about this going on on cannabis.com where people get good result (as long as you make sure you get the right spectrum bulbs). This is even better for small spaces because these bulbs can be as close as an inch from your bud without extra cooling. Added benefit to this one is that you won't be spotted easily by suckers driving around your neighbourhood with heat detectors.

Cannafarmer

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
13 Sept 2008
Hi,

When you take cuttings it's best you use a propegator to keep the humitidy real high!
A fluo light above the propegator will only speed things up!

I have my Salvia outside now and she's coming back in when winter comes!

My soil is universal soil with a pH of 6, perlite and a handfull of bloodmeal.
This is really good for your leafs! Although, snails etc seem to like my Salvia leafs!

Here some candy for the eye ;)

Foto-ZSO46DLA.jpg

Foto-SU4BSTRE-1.jpg

Good luck with the next ones mate!

Bighead

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Sept 2008
Mycorrhizal Fungi

Google the stuff, buy it and never look back.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
my beauty.

The stem is quite short and is split near the ground. I made the cutting too short. But it has quite some leaves :D

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I wish i had a bigger screen..........

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
I am sorry, this was not an attempt of covert advertizing for big computer screens.....