Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

ogm and feminised seed

moguai

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
7 Août 2009
somebody know the technics use for produce feminised seeds ?
i know you can obtain mutations with colchicin or by irradiations , but it's some hazardous mutations wich need selection after , but for obtains feminised seeds , it's a genius genetic product ?
maybe our childrens will cultive mdma's carrott !

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
feminized seeds are produced by spraying a female plant with gibberellic acid

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Yes. Here's how a seed company described it:
Genetically, a cannabis plant is more or less predisposed to become male or female. This is regulated by 2 chromosomes everyone knows as the X and Y chromosomes. A plant with XX chromosomes becomes female, which is what growers desire, because female flowers are much richer in THC. To obtain feminized seeds a female plant is forced by a hormone called gibberellic acid to produce male flowers, the pollen of which contains only X chromosomes. When you offer this pollen to another female plant you can be absolutely certain to get seeds which are 100% XX.

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Thanks, I've always wondered that! Can you buy gibberellic acid, or is it controlled?

moguai

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
7 Août 2009
for me the cannabis can be diploide or polyploide , that mean have twice or more set of chromosome , and the richest natural source of thc was the thai who naturally have make a mutation to become polyploide so have maybe 6 chromosome x and twelve y .(this mutation can be obtain by mutation by colchicine or by irradiation ) so in the fact , i see there are male , femelle , and bi , or hermaphrodites ( but it's an inexact term , i think ) and a male plante that you cute and traumatise can become bi or hermaphrodite ( the same for female ) so i don't know exactly the power of hormones , but it's put me in a trouble......but very thank for your informations!

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I think that before anyone starts experimenting with hormons they should find out EXACTLY what they are doing , especialy about posible health risks .

The fact that plants are diploide or polyploide doesnt mean that they are stronger . They are usualy a bit fatter and healthyer . Their strength can be a little more than the untreated ones but those things are still limited by their genetic potential . The only way to make plants stronger is selective breeding .

Personaly i wouldnt look at feminised or hermaphrodite plants / seeds if i had eyes in my arse . Monsanto sends best wishes .

The time and effort to breed is well worth it . If you dont your stuck with the same crippled Dutch shit forever . Weather someone plants 50 normal seeds or 25 feminised seeds in the same size garden is irelevant . By the time it comes to flowering one has seen the boys and pulled them out . BUT that way one still has some pollen and can breed.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
I'd steer clear of them too.....it's my understanding that many fem seeds are produced by a method we discovered on accident;

Let the plants flower longer than their recommended time and many strains will sprout a male flower or two.....this is a hermaphroditic survival mechanism but I wouldn't say that makes the plant a hermie....I'd say that it just isn't a true female.

I am differentiating between a hermie, which will hermie with no rhyme or reason, and a stress induced hermaphroditic flower or two...all seeds that are pollinated with this pollen will be female, and yes, they will have the potential to do so again.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
The feminised seeds' genome is practically twice the half of the parent genome. So recessive genes from the parent have less dominant counterparts in the seed. It's practically inbreed, so if you have a strong parent (all good traits have 2 dominant alleles) it's not that bad.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
They're not all heavily inbred though, and that will probably be the sticking point.....I'd say maybe you'll be okay with a very stable strain that has been feminized, but that is not a blanket ok.....and I have never bought these types of seeds, but, as I say, we did discover this trick on accident....I did grow out some of these accidentally feminized seeds with good results, BUT
look at what the two strains were that this happened with:

Hindu Kush

Skunk #1

Bth of these strains were from what used to be called Ubino, but is now known as Hemcy. You probably couldn't pick two more heavily inbred lines to try this with. Both were VERY stable, and as I say, we did grow them out with good results. But which method is being used by which breeder?

If I wanted all females I'd just wait until I found that special phenotype and clone the hell out of it.