Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

no more tobacco

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"There is a genetical factor that influence the system of reward."

= "There is a genetical factor that..........CAN.......... influence the system of reward."

Thats the thing . Why do some people with thiose genes get addicted and some dont ? Schitzophrene people and a lot of murderers seem to have"bad" genes and other people with those genes dont have schitzophrenia and dont murder . Imagine going in court and telling the judge "I`m inocent , it was because of my genes" . Or what about arresting all people with"bad" genes to keep the crime rate down ?

ibiscus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Avr 2007
I totally agree with you about the consequences of this kind of genetical explanations...

but as you know, in front of a judge, mental disorders of all kind are arguments which are often use...

ibiscus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
17 Avr 2007
and ok...........That CAN influence the reward system...... with a good proportion of certainty

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"My client was drunk yoiur honour . He had a blackout and cant remember anything " - "I was abused as a child" - "I was raped " - "I was taking orders" - "i couldnt do anything against it"

Its easy to look back and say the majority of people with certain issues have "bad" genes but to get a proper view we need to know how many people in the population have those genes and arent affected by those issues .

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
I think thats just it mate, Genes might not come into it.

I think its down to what happens to the unmoulded "Clay" up untill the incident and the level of input they have had helping them deal with the issues.

Would it not be a better idea to inprison people on the basis they would have to be psycho-analysed and then a program made for them to become aware of themselves and thier actions and also to help them understand what they are doing and why they do it.

People are blind to the fact that 75% of the world doesnt think like they do. Showing some one a new perception would help them I think, Role play would be a good way of turning the tables making the accused the victim and making them aware of the feelings they make others feel but also they would need guidance as to why they themselves feel like they do and how they can stop making other people feel the way they do.

I guess this situation would work on violent crimes to an extent and also I think in general the self realisation for every one in that predicament would be a good thing, Maybe excluding people that are genuinely there cus of the war on drugs carry on.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
So its.........set and setting = the combination of factors and not one factor and we need an individual holistic answer each time .

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
yes. There were many psychological experiments, where *normal* people committed things that were cruel. Read about the Milgram Experiments

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
GOD a dit:
So its.........set and setting = the combination of factors and not one factor and we need an individual holistic answer each time .

You got it, The Key word being Individual.

We all have our own experiences and we all deal with these experiences uniquely.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
so restin, you went cold turkey?

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
yeah I did. I am OK now (well, it is still only 5 days after the last contact with the enemy). I still feel some *desire* but it may be placebo.

After some cannabis-abuse-experiment, which includes a week of daily use, I also went cold turkey with cannabis -aslo the fifth day now- but it is much easier with weed.

Did you quit/start/use tobacco or intend to do so?

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
As someone who has quit/started smoking many times, Cold Turkey is really the only way to quit, and than not lighting back up.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
i have smoked a bit of cigarettes now and then but never to the point of an acquired habit. i tasted a joint first and actually tried cigs to learn to smoke so to smoke joints properly. the only two reasonable ways of quitting an addiction i see are cold turkey or progressively smaller doses until zero. other ways is kidding oneself, is it not?

Horrigan

Banni
Inscrit
26 Mai 2007
I'm personally much more in trouble stopping weed than tobacco !
Tobacco is a great high but I don't feel like I need it. Though, I think the tobacco addiction process is for life, once you smoked, chances you smoke again are insanely multiplied, it's just too good, especially with those motherfucking flavouring agents that smell so awesome :?
THC addiction is worst, believe me. I can stop smoking cigarettes, but I can't stop smoking joints.

Spidi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Juil 2006
I don't agree with the genes thing though. Maybe it's not so much genes, but more brain functioning, nerves, ... I myself am a so called social smoker. I smoke maybe 3 cigarettes in a month, just sometimes when I go out. I always found it strange that you could get addicted to something. If I don't want to smoke cigarettes, I'll just refuse when they're offered to me (I never actually bought cigarettes).

I think it has more to do with how you feel. People who are confident of themselves, happy with their lives and not under alot of stress or capable to deal with it, don't need cigarettes. Also, it's proven that some people seek the reward (i.e. the dopamine release) more than others. They are known as impulsive, novelty seeking in psychology.

I could search the studies, but don't have time and google is free for everyone!

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
i have smoked a bit of cigarettes now and then but never to the point of an acquired habit. i tasted a joint first and actually tried cigs to learn to smoke so to smoke joints properly. the only two reasonable ways of quitting an addiction i see are cold turkey or progressively smaller doses until zero. other ways is kidding oneself, is it not?
Then keep yourself in control :wink: I also started like this...

Yes, or there are nicotine plasters that support you with nicotine so you don't feel the urge to smoke...so the habit of smoking is diminished. I have no idea how you then quit with the plasters though :D

Affirmatory

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
29 Déc 2008
I think you have to be so thoroughly disgusted with your addiction that you don't enjoy it any more. A lot of it is all reprogramming yourself and 'just stopping' wont work unless you teach your brain to stop wanting it.
I don't know if quitting cigarettes is anything like quitting meth, but I came to a definite realization that I needed to quit, and after that, I couldn't stop thinking about the negatives of my addiction, and the positives disappeared. I was still addicted for months but after all the hate for the drug slowly added up I stopped.

By the way, I think addictions depending on genes is a very depressing idea and not something an addict hoping to quit should believe whether it's true or not.

Oh and don't sit there with people who are consuming the drug you're trying to quit. You'll know when you will be ready for that.

Etherbunny

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2008
GOD a dit:
Someone who cant stop his adiction is a wimp . There is only one way to do it . Its to be honest and STOP . Instead of thinking "hey i feel shit , if i smoke one i will feel OK " . Instead , everytime one feels bad one tells oneself "Its because of the fags . I`m a junky and the only way to stop the pain is give up " .

That's how I got off anti-psychotics and benzos.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"anti-psychotics and benzos"

Well done . Thats the hardest and most dificult to get rid of adiction ..... and the shit is legal !!!!! You dont have to break the law to get them ....they give it you !!!! Free !!!!

Camera swings to Zest for a conspiracy report.......

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
GOD a dit:
Someone who cant stop his adiction is a wimp . There is only one way to do it . Its to be honest and STOP . Instead of thinking "hey i feel shit , if i smoke one i will feel OK " . Instead , everytime one feels bad one tells oneself "Its because of the fags . I`m a junky and the only way to stop the pain is give up " .

hmmm not true what you are saying. I failed quitting tobacco. Now I manage to smoke only one or two cigarettes a day. When my mind tells me to smoke, I feel good at the moment and know that I will feel like shit if I smoke one... but still I always end up smoking one. Of course if I wasn't working at a gas station it would probably be very easy to quit though. But working with all those cigarettes around me, it gets pretty hard not to smoke when my mind keeps asking me to and especially when I'm bored cause there's no costumer and there's nothing to do except wait... At least when I smoke a cigarette the obsession goes away for a few hours... and I often barely smoke half of it, as once I had my dose I find it disgusting. I am looking for a new job at the moment, when I find another I will quit for good with no problem, as I never even think about smoking cigarettes the rest of the time, or when I do I push the thought away and it doesn't become an obsession like it does when I am working and bored.

restin a dit:
Yes, or there are nicotine plasters that support you with nicotine so you don't feel the urge to smoke...so the habit of smoking is diminished. I have no idea how you then quit with the plasters though :D

The problem with plasters is that you still get nicotine, so you are maintaining your addiction to it. But quitting cold turkey leads to extreme cravings. I think chewing gums are much more effective. When I quitted for a while I succeeded with it. For 2-3 days I took like 4-5 pieces per day and then diminished until I took only one or two, and then when I stopped I found it easy not to smoke anymore, I could see someone smoking in the street and feel bad for him instead of wanting a puff off his cigarette lol.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Have you really quit if you cannot stand the sight of it?