Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Mushroom Or Other Psychedelic Tripping In An Isolation Tank

spice

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
UniversalConsciousness a dit:
Has anyone here tried tripping/being stoned in a flotation/isolation tank?
I imagine you can do LSD in such a tank too.....I think even John Lilly has attempted this

John Lilly INVENTED it, in the 60's, when he was a contemporary of Leary and the rest............if you are really interested in this stuff, you need to get caught up on your reading of Lillys work, two spring to mind; 'Center of the Cyclone' and 'Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer'.

John Lilly not only did that, an admiirable body of work in its own right, but he talked to dolphins, and he's been using LSD since before it was legal, up to shortly before his death,m not far back.....and, he's tripped with Dolphins too....

yeah, on LSD.....

Lilly is the man.....

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
spice a dit:
he's tripped with Dolphins too....

yeah, on LSD.....

Lilly is the man.....

dolphins on lsd? Or just lilly?
What an awesome idea.

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
It was a bad idea, as some of the dolphins committed suicide... It's better if only the human animal takes the LSD.

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
the Ken Russell film Altered States was based on John Lilly's work with LSD and isolation tanks

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Getafix a dit:
It was a bad idea, as some of the dolphins committed suicide... It's better if only the human animal takes the LSD.

......later, Lilly came to the conclusion that reality for Dolphins 'was already psychedelic' and they didn't need it.

However, the criteria you mentioned does not, alone, quailify it as a bad idea, per se, seeing as there have been a lot of people commit suicide after using LSD.....we know now that
'it's not for everyone'.....

I will agree that within the context of his experiments, at the time, it seems like it was a bad idea......certainly it was
rash.....

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
spice a dit:
I will agree that within the context of his experiments, at the time, it seems like it was a bad idea......certainly it was rash.....
Yes, I wonder how free dolphins, without a traumatic past, would respond to LSD, and whether the captivity and isolation of Lilly's dolphins had anything to do with the accident. One might also consider that just like human beings, dolphins would need an actual dolphin shaman or therapist to guide them through the experience. Of course Lilly 'spoke' with dolphins, but I don't think it's the same.

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
I love the idea Getafix. I could definitely see myself using/working at a place like that.

In regards to the flotation tank, there's no reason you couldn't (crudely) reproduce that environment in your home. A bath with earplugs in, done at night with all the lights out should be close. I realize it wouldn't be the same as the total sensory deprivation of a flotation tank, but it beats paying 30-50 euro for an hour trip.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
It's been more than two weeks since I (Getafix in the posts above) inquired about prices, but no reply yet. Will send another email today.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Some thoughts .

Try it .

Its not expensive . Think of the price of buying them , the cost of the room they are in , the cost of the water and heating it each session , the cost of the salts they have to put in to make you float , the cost of haveing someone sit next to it while your floating and the work and cost of emptying it and disinfecting it after every single session .

I think for most of you its pure fantasy . Most of you are to scared to take a decent dose of an hallucinogen and lie on your beds in the dark with ear plugs in your ears and something over your eyes .

Who wants to bet that Caduceus wont do it ? Whoever does will loose......

If you live in Palastine just go to the dead see , take a decent trip , use eye shades and ear plugs and you have the same .

Or just buy some epsom salts = several kilos and try it in your bath at home .

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
GOD a dit:
and cost of emptying it and disinfecting it after every single session .
I agree it's quite an investment, and maintenance is costly, but you don't need to empty the tanks after every session.

I think for most of you its pure fantasy . Most of you are to scared to take a decent dose of an hallucinogen and lie on your beds in the dark with ear plugs in your ears and something over your eyes .
I've had many experiences where lying in bed was uncomfortable because of pain in the back. And I've tried ear plugs during mushroom trips, but they feel uncomfortable as well, as do blindfolds. This is why I'm interested in the floatation idea.

Who wants to bet that Caduceus wont do it ?
I didn't say I'm going to do it. I said I'm inquiring about it, and considering the idea.

If you live in Palastine just go to the dead see , take a decent trip , use eye shades and ear plugs and you have the same .
Definitely.

Or just buy some epsom salts = several kilos and try it in your bath at home .
No, that wouldn't work. The limbs must have some space to float. Bathtubs are too small.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"you don't need to empty the tanks after every session. "

Thats whats at least used to be recomended and at least here i think its part of the regulations about useing them .

Relaxed people often piss , they sweat and fart to .

"I didn't say I'm going to do it"

I know . I said it , and i bet you do do it .

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
GOD a dit:
Thats whats at least used to be recomended and at least here i think its part of the regulations about useing them .
OK, well, we'll try to gather all that information.

I know . I said it , and i bet you do do it .
Ah, ok. Let's see what happens. There are some financial issues that have to be resolved first, as I'm completely broke and I have some debts. This is not a permanent situation however.

I just made a reservation at KoanFloat. Next Sunday at 22:00 I'll have my first one hour session.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
So last night I had my first floatation experience.

Initially it felt really funny, being pushed to the surface as if being filled with air. But I then immediately became aware of how tense the muscles in my neck and shoulders are, and I clearly felt all other tensions and pain in my body. The floating provided sort of a three dimensional diagnosis of my body.

Throughout the session I sometimes turned the music on, then off again, and had to get used to (softly) bumping against the sides of the tank, and pushing the buttons for (quite limited and noisy) ventilation etc. But since the session took an hour, I got plenty of time to become still, which also reduced the bumping.

I had inhaled some weed half an hour before, which had the negative side effect of closing my right nostril, which made it necessary for me to breathe through my mouth. After forty minutes or so the nostril opened again, and I could spend the final part in complete relaxation.

The session wasn't psychedelic. There were neither visual nor significantly psychological effects. It seems I was mainly confronted, as I usually am during trips, with the fact that my muscular system is way too tense. Floating certainly took some tension away, because during the second half hour it was much less noticeable.

Now as far as tripping in a floatation tank is concerned, I think it would definitely be possible, pleasing and useful, even in this particular public floatation center (you can bring your own music!). But you need to have a (couple of) sober sessions first, to get used to the buttons for light, music and ventilation (or help from the operator), the different physical sensations, the relative lack of oxygen, finding the best posture(s) to float, and most of all not getting the extremely salty water in your eyes.

I paid for three sessions, so I've got two more to go.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Some thoughts .

You have stress in your life . Learn to get it to a minimum . Try meditation to .

Dont listen to music in there , dont press buttons just totaly relax and keep still . Maybe wear some ear plugs to .

Also book more sessions as i dont think one can get the full benefit before one has solved the muscle tension issues , and the causes of it .

Sounds like you had a good time to me . I`ve never done it but if i could aford it i would love to do it .

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I had a talk with a distributer just now, and he told me about the prices. Since none of them publish prices, I'll not specify which company provided these. I think it serves as a good indication for other providers though.

He told me that for 9 floaters a day it amounts to 40 kg of salt a month, which costs a total of 24 euros. The area around the tank must be kept at 45 degrees Celsius, and electricity of the tank itself costs about 19 euros a month. The floor should be made salt resistant.

Installation costs would be 1500 euros, the tank itself 22.000, Ex VAT.

GOD a dit:
Dont listen to music in there
I thought so too, but the sound of the ventilator was noisy, and the music was soothing. I spent long periods in silence though (with the ventilator off).

Maybe wear some ear plugs to
They are compulsory, as the salty water shouldn't get into the ears.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
is the ventilator necessary? if you need to turn on such machine then their air flow sucks??

i have 0 experience... but i've read the first couple of times you don't get to feel the good stuff, it's normal, your body and mind need to get accustomed to the weirdness of it so your mind can relax. only then can you forget you have a body and so on. it's like something you get good at.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Yes, I'm expecting my second experience to be with less distractions and more surrender.

Regarding the ventilation, the tank itself is completely closed, so there is no fresh air unless you turn the ventilation on. And the ventilator sucks in (warm) air from the room, not from outside the building, so in my experience it didn't contain a lot of oxygen, though the need for heavy breathing could have had to do with the floating itself. In any case, the nostrils must be clean and open, otherwise breathing will be a distraction.

I can imagine one could create a non-professional but decent floatation tank for less than 22.000 euros...

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
well there is a section dedicated to just that in lilly's book the deep self.

oh i found the book at scribd and indeed there it is, all the info that the dr. himself considers necessary to build one (it's on chapters 11 and 12). there are even diagrams!

edit: damn i'm reading some bits of the book and he even considers magnetic fields from surrounding power lines :)

makes me wonder if those guys you're seeing read it... you should check it out CM

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Thanks a million!! :D

And yes, in the floatation center they have a couple of Lily's books.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Yesterday I was in a hardware store, and I looked at some of the bathtubs there. Of course they're all too small for floatation, but what if you cut away some sides and solder four of them together? That would cost about 800 euros. You then need some stones and cement to support them, and some kind of lid to close the tank. Of course such an isolation tank would not be for professional use, wouldn't have many of the features Lilly and modern manufacturers have incorporated in their designs, and probably keeps out less sound, but it would cost only a fraction of a commercial model (all in all between 24.000 and 30.000 euros).

Tomorrow evening I'm going to have another one hour session at the floatation center.