Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Massachusetts decriminalizes cannabis

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Massachusetts decriminalizes up to an ounce of cannabis
New Law Takes Effect Friday

A new state law that says it is no longer a criminal offense in Massachusetts to possess a small amount of marijuana went into effect on Friday, Boston television WCVB reported.

A referendum, approved by voters in November, makes possession of less than an ounce (28 grams) of marijuana a civil offense with a $100 fine.

Existing laws that prohibit distributing marijuana or operating a motor vehicle under its influence remain unchanged.

Supporters of the law said it will spare thousands from having a criminal record, which can make it harder to get a job, student loan or gain access to public housing. They also said it will save taxpayers $30 million in costs associated with marijuana arrests.

But critics said marijuana is a gateway drug and the law could lead to more drug use among young people.

Under the new law, anyone under 18 caught with an ounce or less of marijuana must complete a drug awareness course or face a $1,000 fine. Parents or legal guardians will also be notified.

As the law takes effect, state officials are urging cities and towns to ban public pot smoking, similar to public drinking ordinances.

Massachusetts is the 12th state in the country to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana.

http://www.wsbtv.com/nationalnews/18399654/detail.html

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Hooray !!

Even Mississippi has decriminalized....Massachusetts is a Democrat stronghold state, and I figured they already had done this, but better late than never.

I really wanted to move to Canada at one point, but I don't know if all that winter is even worth it......I don't like it way down here where it's hot as hell 10 months out of the year either.....

Thinking temperate.....

MelloTrip

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
That's good news for our american friends.

Let's hope the movement will spread across America.

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
Incredible news! Unfortunately I think it's gonna be hard getting states like Texas, Georgia, Alabama, etc. Once all 50 States (or atleast most of them) how is the Federal Law going to keep it's Anti Drug b.s. going.

Horrigan

Banni
Inscrit
26 Mai 2007
Good news, let's hope decriminalization will spread. It's a shame we still can be placed in jail for possessing a plant.

silv

Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Positive Vibes from the USA!

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
about motherfucking time!

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
If it is possible in America, it also is possible in other parts of the world ;)

I am going to smoke one because of this news :weedman:

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Out of curiosity, what ARE the laws in Canada? I know most people only get a fine, if that, but what do the books actually say??

G

Invité
Good news indeed.
Now I am looking forward to Arizona following up and putting sheriff Arpaio out of work.

Dreamsters

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
23 Sept 2008
Federal law trumps State laws in the usa though... decriminalization on the state level sadly means nothing, at least from what I understand from the usa laws that is.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
cool. I hope the potheads in there will be wise and not abuse their new rights, forcing the politicians to undo the new laws :)

disciple189

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
19 Déc 2008
Dreamsters a dit:
Federal law trumps State laws in the usa though... decriminalization on the state level sadly means nothing, at least from what I understand from the usa laws that is.

I believe federal law only applies to this when crossing state borders or on federal land. I live in Maine where it's already decriminalized and you get nothing more than a fine for possession. I do live next to Acadia National Park though and if you get caught on park property your fucked.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
But isnt it starnge . In the homeland of the drug war they do more ( = something ) than us and are changing laws . And all we do is talk shit and run away . I think that the people here who claim to be for legalisation are mostly lying . Either they want to be "the" person that changes something and deliberately dont help or get in the way .....or they have comercial interests .

Federal law is what counts not local laws as we have seen in several states that have "legalised" and the feds have busted everyone involved .

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Yes, people, but federal law is MUCH more selectively enforced, according to the prevailing political climate in Washington, where state laws are generally
a constant.....

What this translates into is nothing but good.

Every advisor Obama has named to his cabinet and overall team, is a scientific-type thinker.

All these fucking religious-creationistic morons are GONE....SCIENCE is the ally of cannabis lovers.....the studies are there, the evidence is strong....

People on the state level, getting laws changed, is cool as can be. The conservatives have stepped on their dick this time, because one of the most steady tenets of conservatives is the right of states to determine these types of laws....for years I have listened to them cry and whine everytime the federal government involves itself in any regulation of state affairs.

In my state, for example, the federal government has had to take over the public school system for years at a time, on more than one occasion, they've had to take over the prison system, because these conservative idiots don't have their priorities in place, and are, as always, focused on everything except what they should be.

....and you never heard so much whining and crying in your whole life. Every conservative for miles around, bitching about 'the fed' always interfering in 'our bidness'....yet the same conservatives are eager for federal regulations in the medical-cannabis situation.

This just makes them look stupid, and hypocritical.

I am convinced that there is a major momentum shift in regards to this situation.

The tide is turning.....

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Your right about that . But its not a reason to stop taking care or to trust the government . At the moment i think that if we get legalisation / decriminalisation it will come from the US . Naive people may think holland is our saviour . No , the people who could do something are making extreme amounts of money , its not in their intersets . On the other side if the world had legalisation / decriminalisation they would have next to no tourist industry / drug industrys . Who would go to holland and pump them full of money ?

Has anyone seen "Super high me" ?

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
Watch the Left hand!! Watch it! Watch the LEFT HAND!

You never saw that right comming....

I am a little worried that this could be a plot to make people watch the birdy as the big bad wolf comes up behind and swallows you whole. Alot of people in the U.S are gonna be going round like you cant touch me, Getting mashed and probably taking thier eye off the ball.

Leaves plenty of oppertunity to pre heat the oven and get the veg ready...... :shock: