Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Fish that triggers hallucinations found off British coast

Space-is-the-Place

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
A species of bream, sarpa salpa, which can trigger hallucinations when eaten, has been been discovered in British waters due to global warming.

The species of bream is normally found in the balmier waters of the Mediterranean and South Africa, was found by fisherman Andy Giles in his nets in the English Channel.

Mr Giles, 38, caught the fish, which is instantly recognised by its gold stripes running along its body, six miles south of Polperro, Cornwall.

"We were trawling for lemon sole and hauled up the net at the end of the day and almost immediately saw this striped fish, we didn't have a clue what it was," he said.

"I had never seen one before and after taking a photograph of it I tried to look it up on the internet and called some friends to see if they knew what it was.

"I put it in the fish box and brought it back for experts to have a look at it.

"Now I realise what it was and the effects it can have, perhaps I should have taken it into town to sell to some clubbers!"

There have only been three previous recordings of sarpa salpa in British waters before, with one of them being off the Channel Islands in 1983.

James Wright, a senior biologist at the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth, said: "These are a fairly common fish off Tenerife, Malta and Cyprus but it is very rare to get them this far north.

"It could be a single fish that was shoaling with a different species but it could be that there are more of them in our waters."

Sarpa salpa are a popular dish in many Mediterranean restaurants.

But according to marine experts, certain species of plankton-eating fish, like the sarpa salpa, can give off hallucinogenic fish poisoning if the heads or other body parts are consumed.

The effects include vivid hallucinations within minutes of eating it which can last for days.

In 2006 two men, one aged 90, were hospitalised in the south of France after eating sarpa salpa.

The elderly man suffered from auditory hallucinations a couple of hours after eating the fish followed by a series of nightmares over the next two nights.

The younger man, aged 40, endured similar effects which took 36 hours to disappear.

source: The Telegraph.co.uk

See also: a more detailed article

TheSearchForSoma

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
13 Sept 2006
Ha! I've eaten this fish a couple of times when i travelled to the Mediterranean&Adriatic Sea with my parents!They taste delicious! Locally the're called "saupe"(french pronounced like"soap" i think)
And they are incredibly beautifull when you see them swimming only a meter away from you (when snorkeling)!
Experienced no hallucinations though, we didn't ate the head ofcourse, damn, i had to know this earlier :wink: !

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Oh, God, this is exciting!
A psychoactive fish! :p
I'll be on the lookout for this baby from now on, hallucinatons for days, and right after you ate them!
If I ever catch one I'm eating it from the head, alive!

Well, maybe not alive....

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
i can only imagine what other psychoactives were on this earth before us

probably unimaginable

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
I bet they are going to make it illegal to eat fish now :lol:

EDIT: DAMN! now i understand why in the Bible it says to eat fish with scales...because thus they had a higher chance of having hallucinations if they caught this fish! i mean with seafood all you can get is a bad stomach ache or fever...with this fish you see God! HAHA! wich also explains how Jesus performed the multiplication of the fishes and the breads(laced with LSA :lol: ) : they were all fucking out of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alphasnail

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
26 Déc 2006
Does anyone know of the active chemicals in this fish that cause the hallucinations? And what kind of psychoactive properties they are? i.e. Delleriant, Psychedelic, ect.

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
alphasnail a dit:
Does anyone know of the active chemicals in this fish that cause the hallucinations? And what kind of psychoactive properties they are? i.e. Delleriant, Psychedelic, ect.

ive read in the past (cant provide the source) the "toxins" may derive from algae grazed by the fish and accumulated in certain parts of the fish (brain, liver and gonads), perhaps during the breeding season, though that may be coincidental as the fish breed in the warmer months when algal blooms are likely to occur.

the toxin (according to the source) may be an indole, or a more exotic neurotoxin

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
i can see hordes of cats running to the english shores to catch those fishee :p

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
its a bad sign, really
if the UK coastal waters warm we will lose the Mingulay coral reef and much of the diversity which makes west coast waters so very special

TheSearchForSoma

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
13 Sept 2006
Damn right Mr. Smith!
It's sucks the fish was caught in british waters, if he originally belongs more than 1000 km's more south!

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
tough luck for those who don't believe global warmin' ain't 'appenin'!

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
I don't believe global warmin' ain't 'appenin.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Cyanide is hallucinogenic .

alphasnail

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
26 Déc 2006
hmmm, maybe the algae they eat are lysergic based lol :D

But on a serious note, I was asking if anyone knew what kind of hallucinations. Do you go insane like Datura and talk to invisible entities and smoke make believe cigarettes? or more psychedelic type hallucinations like mushrooms or Lucy?