Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

European ban on Kava lifted!

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
The ban on Kava (Piper methysticum) in European countries, imposed six years ago has been lifted. It took a 10-day roundtable consultation in Berlin with International Kava Executive Council representatives, Pacific Island ambassadors and European Commission leaders to achieve the breakthrough.

The chairman of Fiji's Kava Council, Ratu Josetaki Nawalowalo says the decision will mean Pacific island nations can resume trade with the EU.

Radio Australia: Kava ban lifted by European countries (with audio)

This is wonderful news! I loved Kava when it was still available! :D

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
I never tried Kava (only Cava, but that's not the same lolz) but good news indeed.. Hopefully more plants will get their EU-residence permit :)

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Whats cava ?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Kava was sold in smartshops, but also in healthfood stores, which is where I got to know it first. We had many customers who used a moderate dose on a daily basis.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
GOD a dit:
Cava is the name of a type of Catalan white or pink sparkling wine, produced in different areas of Catalonia but mainly in the Penedès region in Catalonia, 40 km to the south west of Barcelona. Cava is a Greek term that was used to refer to "high end" table wine or wine cellar, and comes from the Latin word "cava" which means cave in English. Caves were used in the early days of Cava production for the preservation or aging of wine.[15] Today Cavas have become integrated with Spanish family traditions and is often consumed at baptism celebrations with even the newborn getting a taste of his/her pacifier dipped in the wine.[citation needed] The sparkling wine of Cava was created in 1872 by Josep Raventós. The vineyards of Penedès were devastated by the phylloxera plague, and the predominantly red vines were being replaced by large numbers of vines producing white grapes. After seeing the success of the Champagne region, Raventós decided to create the dry sparkling wine that has become the reason for the region's continued success. In the past the wine was referred to as Spanish Champagne (no longer permitted under EU law), or colloquially as champaña or xampany.[16]

Cava is produced in varying levels of dryness of the wine which are: brut nature, brut (extra dry), seco (dry), semiseco (medium) and dulce (sweet). Under Spanish Denominación de Origen laws, Cava can be produced in six wine regions and must be made according to the Traditional Method with second fermentation in the bottle and uses a selection of the grapes Macabeo, Parellada, Xarel·lo, Chardonnay, Pinot noir, and Subirat. Despite being a traditional Champagne grape, Chardonnay was not used in the production of Cava until the 1980s.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_wine#Cava

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
excellent

i love Kava, its one of my all-time favorites

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
whats kava like??
i got told to try some when i was in singapore but the people i was staying with didnt know what it was either
entheogen or what?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Crimzen a dit:
whats kava like??
i got told to try some when i was in singapore but the people i was staying with didnt know what it was either
entheogen or what?
From the wikipedia article:

Pharmacology

Kava's active principal ingredients are the kavalactones, of which at least 15 have been identified and are all considered psychoactive. Only six of them produce noticeable effects, and their concentrations in kava plants vary. Different ratios can produce different effects.

Pharmacodynamics

Effects of kavalactones include mild sedation, a slight numbing of the gums and mouth, and vivid dreams. Kava has been reported to improve cognitive performance and promote a cheerful mood. [5] Muscle relaxant, anaesthetic, anticonvulsive and anxiolytic effects are thought to result from direct interactions of kavalactones with voltage-gated ion channels. [6] Research currently suggests that kavalactones potentiate GABA-A activity but do not alter levels of dopamine and serotonin in the CNS. [7] Heavy, long-term kava use does not cause any reduction of ability in saccade and cognitive tests but is associated with elevated liver enzymes. [8]

Desmethoxyyangonin, one of the six major kavalactones, is a reversible MAO-B inhibitor (Ki 280 nM)[9] and is able to increase dopamine levels in the nucleus accumbens. This finding might correspond to the slightly euphoric action of kava.[10]

Kavain in both enantiomeric forms inhibit the reuptake of noradrenalin at the transporter (NAT), but not of serotonin (SERT).[11] An elevated extracellular NA level in the brain may account for the reported enhancement of attention and focus.

Effects

A moderately potent kava drink causes effects within 20–30 minutes that last for about two and a half hours, but can be felt for up to eight hours. Because of this, it is recommended to space out servings about fifteen minutes apart. Some report longer term effects up to two days after ingestion, including mental clarity, patience, and an ease of acceptance. The effects of kava are most often compared to alcohol, or a large dose of diazepam.[1]

The sensations, in order of appearance, are slight tongue and lip numbing (the lips and skin surrounding may appear unusually pale); mildly talkative and sociable behavior; clear thinking; anxiolytic (calming) effects; relaxed muscles; and a very euphoric sense of well-being. As with other drugs that affect the gaba receptors, there can also be paradoxical dysphoria. The numbing of the mouth is caused by the two kavalactones kavain and dihydrokavain which cause the contraction of the blood vessels in these areas acting as a local topical anesthetic. These anesthetics can also make one's stomach feel numb. Sometimes this feeling has been mistaken for nausea. Some report that caffeine, consumed in moderation in conjunction with kava can significantly increase mental alertness.

A potent drink results in a faster onset with a lack of stimulation; the user's eyes become sensitive to light, they soon become somnolent and then have deep, dreamless sleep within 30 minutes. Sleep is often restful and there are pronounced periods of sleepiness correlating to the amount and potency of kava consumed. Unlike with alcohol-induced sleep, after wakening the drinker does not experience any mental or physical after effects. However, this sleep has been reported as extremely restful and the user often wakes up more stimulated than he or she normally would (though excessive consumption of exceptionally potent brew has been known to cause pronounced sleepiness into the next day). Although heavy doses can cause deep dreamless sleep, it is reported that many people experience lighter sleep and rather vivid dreams after drinking moderate amounts of kava. [2]

After thousands of years of use by the Polynesians and decades of research in Europe and the U.S., the traditional use of kava root has never been found to have any addictive or permanent adverse effects. Users do not develop a tolerance. While small doses of kava have been shown to slightly improve memory and cognition, large amounts at one time have been shown to cause intoxication. In Utah, California, and Hawaii there have been cases where people were charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after drinking a significant amount of kava (eight cups or more) although some of them were acquitted due to the laws not being broad enough to cover kava consumption.

Dantediv86

Inscrit
18 Avr 2007
I had a weird experience involving Kava, that was the first time i heard it's name
i went to a kiosk and asked for the strongest tobacco they were selling (i needed to extract nicotine as an insecticide) and the woman said " why don't you try Kava?"
that was veeeeeeeery weeeeeeird :shock:
specially cause Kava is impossible to get a hold of in Norway, since it's medically regulated.

Spidi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Juil 2006
Where would you be able to get it now? Looks very interesting, does someone think ******* will offer it? Or other smartshop?

Greets,

Spidi