Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

cold temps = purple cannabis?

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
the temperatures have been pretty cold (48 degrees F) the past couple nights and i noticed the top of my plants flowers and some leaves are tinted a deep purple

i read around and i guess the cold makes the plant stop trying to photosynthesize and instead of chlorophyll, the sugars fill out into the leaf letting the plant turn whatever color (red brown blue) but mine was purple.

i thought this was cool but some people said that this stresses the plant and i should move it to a warmer place at night.

does anyone have experience with this maybe some articles or something?
thanks,

im1badpup

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Sept 2008
yeah the cold causes exactly what your describing.(amongt other things)
are you in flower outside? if so a couple of things u can do, that do help a little, keep the wind chill off the plant hanging a net curtain around/over it helps it.
sounds like your in a pot of some sort, protect that from the cold also. and dont sit it on concrete it draws heat like a motherfucker.

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Illegalsmile a dit:
i thought this was cool but some people said that this stresses the plant and i should move it to a warmer place at night.,

I had a haze plant on my balcony that flowered very late because of some nearby streetlights. At some point, temps where dropping to 50F and flowering stagnated. Since the plant needed at least 3-4 more weeks to complete, I went out and bought five 25W CFL bulbs of color ww 827. I took my plant inside, put her in a cabinet which I cleaned out quickly, and hung the CFL's around her.

She loved me for it and showed it, bud development started again and trichomes are developing nicely. Keep in mind that photosynthesis does not really work at all at those low temps and ideal for the plant, is 80F.

Good luck with it.

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
Lowering temperatures at the end of flowering tricks the plant into producing its "Autumn" colours, Usually purple/blue :)

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
i also read you can stick fresh cut buds into a freezer over night to mess with colors but does that damage the buds in anyway?

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
Freezing bud will make the THC glands fall off it, I would advise against that if you plan on keeping your bud in its best state.

plantguardian

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
3 Déc 2005
Refridgerating your weed will often bring out the "Autumn colors" as someone called them and the THC glans won't fall off like they will when you freeze your weed. How much color change you get depends partially on the plants genetics and partially on how fresh it is when you put it in the fridge (inside a brown paper bag is the preferred method). I've put freshly harvested weed in the fridge to dry and cure (for 30 days) and never had much color change (some, not much) but the weed has always been much more potent after curing [whether you use the traditional glass jar method or the brown bag fridge method].

I've also once had an outdoor crop that got frosted and the bud was quite purplish when I cut the colas off (they were like an 8 prong crown because I'd topped them a couple times as young'uns, so bud on the lower branches was minimal and not worth the extra time to harvest) but the weed itself was only about half as good as the same strain I'd grown indoors. Those outside plants were the clones from an indoor grow that had to be shut down, that's why I can say that with such conviction, they were only half as potent after they got frosted when the night time temps dropped down to 30 F for a couple days. All I can think is that a lot of glans froze and fell off before I could cut 'em down. They looked nice, but they weren't worth squat for gettin' a buzz (unless of course you smoked about an oz. in one sitting). :roll:

Voyager. Rabbit hole

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
9 Déc 2009
As far as i know cold weather can effect the color, i notice the base of the buds would turn deep purple in early oct. in jersey

was in the first stages of budding though

Also putting your buds in the freezer will cause the crystals to become fragile and easy to shake off, good for making hash i think

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
thanks to all, i harvested a while ago and all my friends loved how it looked. i had kids telling me i could pass it off for bomb and sell it at a high price but i had no interest (i wanted to see how it feels to smoke a plant you raised yourself).

it was better than the average stuff i buy and seedless but still could only get you so high. ive bought hydro that looked worse but gave me a more intense high or taste. i later learned that even if you raise a plant as good as you can, theres only so much you can improve cause most of it is in the genetics. so im on the lookout for good seeds. i supposedly have a grand daddy purps seed but it cant germinate yet for some reason i just hope its just taking long. and yes, real purple weed tastes PURPLE its my fav tasting smoke ive come across