Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Attention deficit

Psychoid

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Hi everyone!

I am curious about knowing how many people here either:

1) Have been diagnosed an attention deficit disorder (with or without hyperactivity)
2) Think they might have one
3) Feel they have chronic problems with their concentration and memory when completely sober

I am asking this because I've seen a lot of people on the forum talking about ADD-H (a good part because they suffered from it). And since I'm a child I've always been extremely lunatic, impulsive, a bit hyperactive and always had a bad memory (or lets say, a fucked up one). I also always had sleep problems (at least 2 hours before I fall asleep, unless I've been awake for 18+ hours).

I've been addicted to weed for a long time, and I've realised about 6 month ago, after observing myself for a year, sometimes smoking a lot, sometimes occasionnally, sometimes not at all for 1-4 weeks, that this addiction in fact came from the fact that cannabis helps me with all the problems I mentionned above (except the memory). Since I have understood that, I have no problem controlling my use.

I've talked about it with my doctor, but he's an incompetent idiot, so he laughed at the idea of prescribing me medical cannabis and refuses to give me any other medication "before I've overcome my drug addiction.". But when I tell him that the Ritalin he would prescribe me would be another addiction, with worse side-effects, he can't find anything to say :lol:

I have decided to go consult a psychologist who's specialized in ADD-H, and fortunately he is more comprehensive and open minded, and he never showed a doubt on what I told him (but he told me that there was very little hope that I could get a prescription for cannabis for this). He gave me some tests, and I had good results. But I had smoked like 2 hours before. So then he asked me to stop smoking for a few days before our next meeting. Haven't smoked since then (3 days ago) and had a hard time concentrating at school today. Fortunately I don't have school tomorrow and our next meeting is Tuesday. I am looking forward to see what he'll say.

Thanks for your answers :)

LOVE&PEACE everyone

D

Deleted

Invité
tout ce que tu veux mais en francais ^^
Moi:
-->Anxyo-depressif majeur
-->Trouble Deficitaire de l' Attention , avec hyperactivité /et hypersomnie (ben oué)

traitement
---ritaline 90mg /jour (pills de 10mg pour sniffer ><)
---Dexedrine 90mg/jour (3x30mg , le dernier au coucher)
---Seresta 250mg( 5x50mg)
---Noctamide 4 ou 6mg (2 ou 3 x 2mg)

bref , jveux bien te répondre , mais pas en anglais .
bisous psycho
:wink:

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Have you tried changing your diet?

Loose the refined (white) sugars for a while and see how that helps. Eat plenty of fruits and fresh vegetables.

I know it works for a lot of people and it doesn't have the negative side-effects of the general medication they put kids on.

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
---ritaline 90mg /jour (pills de 10mg pour sniffer ><)
---Dexedrine 90mg/jour (3x30mg , le dernier au coucher)
---Seresta 250mg( 5x50mg)
---Noctamide 4 ou 6mg (2 ou 3 x 2mg)

Come on, you don;t are saying that this is a treatment, do you? I mean, that's serious poisoning yourself.

Hey Psychoid, i fully understand your post. I do recognise a lot in it, since i am also diagnosed as you probably already know with add/adhd. I am already looking for years, to find a solution that makes things more easy for me. Yet i can't find any real solutions. Like we have discussed a couple of times, i don't think add/adhd is a disorder, since the foundations of a lot of the problems that add/adhd people do encounter, are difficulties with the structure on which western civilisations is build.

You can mask it by smoking weed, taking ritalin pills and all other prescriptions, but are all temporary solutions. Mainly because the counter contradictions if you ask me. I have smoked for years a couple of grams a day without any break. But the last two years i smoked only before i went to bed and had at least a couple of breaks during these last two years.

So if anyone has a better solution, i would love to hear some advice.

D

Deleted

Invité
it's my "legit" prescription , from neuropsychiatre.
she add D-amphet , because , MPH does'nt work as wall as before .
effects on "thinking" were down and down (i take MPH since .. around 8 years)
but , i know the pharmacocinetic an pharmacodynamie of each compound , and i'm affraid too ...
i'm "working" to take less benzodiazepines , but , it's fucking hard.
and i replace slowly MPH by Damphet , to adjust the right dose , with the minimum adverses effects as possible .
it's not a funny way , to have a job and social life with this meds (but i'm addict , i take uppers since my 9 years old, and benzodiazepine since 14 years old .... i'm 25)
so . i try , to "use " the pills with a "hand user" (lime a ongle) ..

but , really , if it's possible to decide, or find an alternative issue than this medication, DO IT ...
*walking in the mud*

>sorry for english , understable???<

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
but , really , if it's possible to decide, or find an alternative issue than this medication, DO IT ...

But you just said, why one shouldn't do it. :?

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Thanks for all answers.

I expect to be prescribed ritalin or some similar drug when the test is over, do you think I should give it a try or I'd better stay with my actual medication (= smoking before going to bed)?

I'm reluctant to try ritalin because of my experience with other similar stimulants (speed and coke). Speed makes me a mindless zombie and makes life tern and boring (and I know that a lot of speed is cut with ritalin...). Coke just makes the problems worse. I've talked about this with both my doctor and the psychologist, and both gave me the same answer: methylphenidate is not the same molecule and not taken in the doses you took with speed and coke, so it's very different.

Oh and BTW, I don't like sugary things and prefer healthy food when I'm not smoking weed (but if I smoke weed I can eat incredible amounts :lol: )

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
I've talked about it with my doctor, but he's an incompetent idiot, so he laughed at the idea of prescribing me medical cannabis and refuses to give me any other medication "before I've overcome my drug addiction.". But when I tell him that the Ritalin he would prescribe me would be another addiction, with worse side-effects, he can't find anything to say
hahahaha :lol:
Good one!

Well, I've suspected that I have ADD....but I dont think I have it.
I had alot of concentration problems in school, and other problems so i now i dont have any education.
I always learned best on my own, following my own path to knowledge.
I had a dream last night, that I was back in school as the new guy...
alot older then the other students.
And the teacher gave me a really fkn simple test, and i remember the one question:
What are the neigbours of America?
And fuck i couldnt answer it, everytime i tried i got anxious and nervous and went almost psychotic.
Such a simple fkn question, yet i couldnt answer it....
The thing is that, in reality.
If there are alot of people around me, i find it hard to concentrate on thing im supposed to do. I always have this radar open on my envoirment.
Btw, i have a friend who has ADD. He smokes alot of weed.
It seems as if it makes him smarter, he's beginning to change his mind in a good way...such a way that it doesnt seem he has ADD anymore.
Anyway, alot of people are diagnosed with ADD......
And i guess we all experience the problems.
But I dont think that alot of the diagnoses (if not severe.) are anything to worry about.

And even if I have tendencies to ADD, I dont really care....
I mean, im learning to make my mind stronger and better...more concentration etc.. all the time.
The only thing i have to get rid of is the depression and anxeity.(which Cannabis helps me out with, but it can also create moodswings depending on how i feel.)
I smoke much less now, and not as often.
(Im coming out of my depression, and also less anxeity....result of positive thinking, more exercise and more use of cannabis than abuse.)
=)

Like Mystic said, its only a temporarly thing.
And If you keep that in mind that you will get better, and the use of cannabis is not just fun but also medicine that can help you to develope.
Then I think you're on a good path.
Because it worked for me, and im sure if you keep a healthy mind and a positive attitude you can atleast help with the concentration thing.

I hope all goes well.
Remember, dont let the 'problem' stop you for trying to get better.
Because then its an excuse.
(if not the diagnose is SEVERELY HIGH.) =)

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Can someone here please show evidence for the existance of ADD?!? Where's the proof?

infinitetransistor

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
13 Août 2009
Psychoid a dit:
Thanks for all answers.

I expect to be prescribed ritalin or some similar drug when the test is over, do you think I should give it a try or I'd better stay with my actual medication (= smoking before going to bed)?

I'm reluctant to try ritalin because of my experience with other similar stimulants (speed and coke). Speed makes me a mindless zombie and makes life tern and boring (and I know that a lot of speed is cut with ritalin...). Coke just makes the problems worse. I've talked about this with both my doctor and the psychologist, and both gave me the same answer: methylphenidate is not the same molecule and not taken in the doses you took with speed and coke, so it's very different.

Oh and BTW, I don't like sugary things and prefer healthy food when I'm not smoking weed (but if I smoke weed I can eat incredible amounts :lol: )

just smoke bud n try n make changes to yourself by thinking about it, i just dont think any kind of meds on a regular basis is a good thing + add meds always gives me such bad dry mouth like the worst ive ever had

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Forkbender a dit:
Can someone here please show evidence for the existance of ADD?!? Where's the proof?

Of course there isn't any proof. But there is definably a certain group of people who are not able to focus, or at least share the same type of problems. This group of people is huge and still is growing. That's why i can't stand the prescription of Ritalin etc. I mean this problems need to be solved at the root of the problems and not by fighting the symptoms.

I think that you have to answer this question by yourself. In the beginning of 2009 i did try it and where shocked about the fact that meds as Ritalin gets prescribed by psychiatrists. For two weeks long is where a zombie. It's just a drug, no wonder that so many people with adhd/add do like there meds. And think it really works, while it only makes you think it works. Just as with speed.

My father also have used ritalin over a period of almost a year. I have almost forced him to quit. He already used respedal(anti-psychotics) and paroxatine(anti-depressive). These medicines already make him not act in a natural way. But without these two meds, he really freaks out. But with ritalin in combination with the above meds, he regurlarly had some sort of shorts psychosis. On these moment he said he wanted to kill him self, and that he hated the world etc etc. Now that he has stopped his use of ritalin, these psychotic moments are solved again.

I don't understand the psychiatrist, who prescribe multiple meds to a guy like my dad.... Or in fact to people in general. We need to approach these problems that so many people do experience, in complete different way.

I will warn anyone who use or want to use Ritalin, because it's to obvious that it's to dangerous to play with.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
mysticwarrior a dit:
Of course there isn't any proof. But there is definably a certain group of people who are not able to focus, or at least share the same type of problems. This group of people is huge and still is growing. That's why i can't stand the prescription of Ritalin etc. I mean this problems need to be solved at the root of the problems and not by fighting the symptoms.

But what is the root of the problem?

If there is a huge group, there must be a reason for it, either (epi)genetically or environmentally. What is happening inside the heads of this group on a physical level that doesn't happen to other people? And, more important, why?

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
Forkbender a dit:

If there is a huge group, there must be a reason for it, either (epi)genetically or environmentally. What is happening inside the heads of this group on a physical level that doesn't happen to other people? And, more important, why?

I think the root of the problem is the fact that we know very little about this condition.That makes the standards to be diagnosed very broad so many of the people who have been diagnosed, don't actually have it and now they're just addicted to ritalin.

I posted this before but it may help with the answer to your second question

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... omads.html

I was diagnosed with add as a child and I take no medications other than occasional drug use. (its hard but its worth it)

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Forkbender a dit:

That's a good question which i can't answer for others. But for me society often seem to ask much more from me then i am able to handle in a short amount of time. I mean am able to do anything, but i just need more time then others seem to need. And if i do not have enough time, then things end up pretty bad. School, Work, Socially, everything gets infected by it. And believe me, i am someone who really try's to function in society, i even had a coach and followed severall training courses.

From my observations of others and myself, it's just that this group with adhd symptoms have trouble with handling the pressure that comes along with western society. All of the people i have met and spoken to, just need more space, rest, time. But where do you find that nowadays? I mean you need to organise and structure everything to have a success in our society. Which becomes a problem for the most who have the symptoms.

Forkbender a dit:
If there is a huge group, there must be a reason for it, either (epi)genetically or environmentally.

Psychiatrists say that there is a great change that it is genetically, and i have to admit that it is in my family to. But at the same time i have spoken to some who thought it wasn't in there family, and from what i have read it can multiple causes genetically, environmentally but also braindamage.

[quote:28fha0kl]Inevitably, parents will ask themselves “What did I do to cause this?

Nina_is_alive

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
11 Mar 2009
Well I didnt read all the posts but going back to the OP's questions:

I pretty much feel that I have almost all of those problems often

difficulty concentrating for a long time
memory esp.

it's mostly an issue with school [math more than anything] and the thing about concentration is that I'm such a daydreamer!
if the topic at hand isnt interesting my imagination will branch off big time and I'll totally glaze over the lesson, sometimes having to "pull" myself back into reality.

Memory is an issue because I understand concepts taught in class, but overnight I'll forget them more or less, or get lesson 3.4 and 3.5 mixed up or something of the like": like I said this applies mostly to mathematical stuff, I'm really conceptual so anything english/history/ect I have no issue grasping and remembering.

weed doessss help, and that is why I often use smoking when i have ZERO motivation to stay up and do homework or clean my room [ I really would like some now! haven't smoked in nearly a month and my room looks like an earthquake hit... 0_o]
because when I'm not motivated, will ususally NOT get done, no matter how much I know I have to, it's a tough to stay focused..

personally I'd never go and get tested ADD/ADHD because I really think those medicines are means of big pharma to create legal addicts [for the most part!] also, ADD tendencies are common in children/people with higher IQ's and more creative tendencies.
I know this from being in the US "gifted" program. I learned alot about it.

but thank you SO much Fork!
I KNOW for a fact that I have to cut down on sugar, being vegan I resort to it alot when there's nothing else to eat around the house/whereever and I was planning to cut down on it anyways to help get in better shape along with my crosscountry running :D

I'll make sure to try that and report back on how it helps!

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Nina_is_alive, explains exactly my problem and that of others. Still i think, this adhd problem would not have existed if there was less pressure, rest, space and time.

I am in a situation that i am not able to even have a full-time job. So i am workless, have never finish any study so if i still want to have a job, over here in Holland they don't let you do anything untill you have studied for it, or else you have to do the shit work. And that feels shit of course, because i ain't stupid. I could do a lot for society in a normal way. And there i am being a nobody trough the eyes of many because i do not have job that pays. While i just tried and tried and tried. And this problem is one that many people do have.

Lucky enough, i get my money from the government. So i can live and plan my life in my own way. This gives me that time, space and rest, that i really need to be able to life happy. In my free time i try to help others with things, cleaning the house, keep care of my dogs and i try to keep bussy. But then in my own way, my own way of organizing and planning things. Which works much better, because i have more rest, time to do things and planning things.

So i can't say, adhd doesn't exist. Because there is a problem for a milions of people who are not able to handle the pressure and do have these symptoms. That can't be an accident, since the symptoms can cause a lot of problems that can trigger other psychological issue's. Especially because many of the people who have ADHD can't just skip and step out of the system and recieve money from the government. Which can feel pretty claustrofobic. The constant failure in society that one may experience, won't give you high self esteem.

Many people with adhd symptoms often experience often Burn-outs, which is another sign of pressure that does gets to much to these people with the symptoms of adhd.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
Just an impulsive idea.
If ADD/ADHD is growing in a large manner, than what does this mean to evolution?
Maybe there just isnt a way of life that suites this people the best, so they have to suffer from it?
And get enslaved to the big pharma.
Maybe this is all about cultural unconviency?
If the number is so large, then are we growing into such fundimental different groups?
Our race is dividing itself at a larger scale?
Or is it the way forward? or apart of it?
There's simply way to much fishyness with the big pharma....

In the end. we're all literally insane anyway.
IM also trying to place in soceity, (I dont really want to though, still troubles me.)
But in the end, its all insanity.
Im personally so tired of living after a diagnose ...in a tiny ass box.
Life outside it is much more fun.

All the people i've met with ADD, seem like rather normal people.
Its as if they have a natural way of thinking which they are taught is bad.
Im just saying, there might be heavy benifits to this aswell.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
mysticwarrior a dit:
From my observations of others and myself, it's just that this group with adhd symptoms have trouble with handling the pressure that comes along with western society. All of the people i have met and spoken to, just need more space, rest, time. But where do you find that nowadays? I mean you need to organise and structure everything to have a success in our society. Which becomes a problem for the most who have the symptoms.

I agree with this. I don't feel like I have a handicap. I am in fact better than most people in a lot of things. But not concentration. I feel like all my problems come from the fact that my brain isn't made to function the way our society expects me to.

mysticwarrior a dit:
And think it really works, while it only makes you think it works. Just as with speed.

That's so right (about speed, since I've never taken ritalin). I remember once doing an exam on speed a few years ago. I completed it extremely fast, felt I had incredible concentration, expected 100% no less. But I failed it. I've made an incredible amount of inattention errors. I knew all of the answers but kept making stupid mistakes.

mysticwarrior a dit:
In the end. we're all literally insane anyway.
OoOohH yEah and I fukin LOVE it! :rolleyes:

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
First, don't believe in "add" it's just who you are, it's not an illness or anything... not a disease.

That being said, for concentration: cut down on sugars, as said before, reduce caffeine intake in "all at once" i.e. spread an entire cup of coffee over 3 hours to a day...

Also, veggies, fruits, grains, fish, all very good.

Lastly, .... sorry to say it but ritalin. Prescribed 5mg? 10mg? half it or cut it in 4's.

I'm going to go see the doctor very soon for a prescription of ritalin... I plan to take less than half a pill a day, or only take it some days... etc.

Ritalin has many good short term and long term side effects, but it's truth also that it has bad long term side effects too... But, it's a fact it helps.

D

Deleted

Invité
IJesusChrist a dit:
First, don't believe in "add" it's just who you are, it's not an illness or anything... not a disease.

That being said, for concentration: cut down on sugars, as said before, reduce caffeine intake in "all at once" i.e. spread an entire cup of coffee over 3 hours to a day...

Also, veggies, fruits, grains, fish, all very good.

Lastly, .... sorry to say it but ritalin. Prescribed 5mg? 10mg? half it or cut it in 4's.

I'm going to go see the doctor very soon for a prescription of ritalin... I plan to take less than half a pill a day, or only take it some days... etc.

Ritalin has many good short term and long term side effects, but it's truth also that it has bad long term side effects too... But, it's a fact it helps.

many sides effects no related into medical books, or publication, but its thrue , there is , at less 2 big sides effects ( hypertention), and loose of see capacity .it's little frightening , i find .
and with total thrue, i think D-amphet is less toxic , or "better-toxic" , we know perfectly the sides effects, and we can heal that ..we have knowledge of amphetamines isomers,. We dont know "nothing" about long terms threat MPH ...
with MPH ... it's real Rc ..
i use it (not had the choice) , but desaprouve it .

but in fact as you said half a pill / day , its not a probleme , i think, if it's enough for better feeling , i'm happy for you .use it .
but with dosages 60/90mg/day since 2003 , i can say . take care

Psychoid a dit:
mysticwarrior a dit:
And think it really works, while it only makes you think it works. Just as with speed.

That's so right (about speed, since I've never taken ritalin). I remember once doing an exam on speed a few years ago. I completed it extremely fast, felt I had incredible concentration, expected 100% no less. But I failed it. I've made an incredible amount of inattention errors. I knew all of the answers but kept making stupid mistakes.

yes . THE n°1 probleme when you think , fast "full power" in 1 way .sure
:/

regards
Oogie-french-speaker-sorry